BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #111
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Improve trunk securing points

I keep forgetting to add this but it has been a frustration for some years. As I use my X3 35i much like a pick-up carrying a host of heavy, bulky and dirty objects frequently, I always keep the trunk liner and a tarp in the back. For heavy items which don't slide such as fertilizer, soil, mulch, and landscape rock this works fine to keep debris out of the tracks and carpet beneath.

For small items such as plants in 1gal and 3 gal containers they can easily fall over though - especially shorter plants in which their branches are not supported by the trunk cover - spilling potting soil and fertilizer granules on the rug. Also, many times the plants leak water from the nursery irrigation. Although BMW sells a latching system at exactly the right height (see photo), it requires the removal of any trunk protection so the rails can be accessed. This would never work for the type of items I am transporting, unless I didn't care about the rug being permanently damaged (our rugs still look pristine). In addition it is USD318 for the system.

I need the ability to accomplish this task, and I could easily do so with the use of a simple bungee cord, if BMW would just provide us with two (or more?) lower attachment points (see photo) on the trunk sides. The only caveat is they need to be high enough to be accessed beyond any type of trunk floor protection pads they sell.

92. Provide lower trunk side attachment points to allow bungee cords/twine/rope to hold potential debris-producing materials from sliding or falling over while/whilst still being able to use protective trunk mats/tarps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      06-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #112
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Heavy Duty Adjustable Cargo Tray

With the ability for the G01's rear seats to be flat and in plane with the rear cargo area now (reportedly coming in the G01), it would be helpful to have a heavy duty cargo tray with extension capability to provide coverage of the entire cargo hold area (and not just the back portion as we have now).

93. Adjustable Heavy Duty Cargo Tray to enable coverage of entire cargo area when rear seats lowered
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-25-2017, 03:20 PM   #113
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Thanks to all Contributors

Hard to believe it has been nearly 3 years since this thread was started...

On the Eve of the G01's live reveal in Spartanburg SC (being streamed tomorrow online at 930AM local time), I wanted to take the opportunity to share appreciation for all of those who offered many thoughtful suggestions and comments along the way.

Although it remains unclear how many of our 93 Wishlist items will make it to the Production floor, I do hope it has been of some use to the Design and Development teams at BMW. This is a remarkably knowledgeable and passionate group of Enthusiasts, so hopefully it has provided at least some guidance during the G01's evolution.

Thanks again, everyone!
Appreciate 1
brissim84.00
      06-27-2017, 09:26 AM   #114
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

When the "e" version appears, I would like to see the ability to select aggressive regenerative braking. I just traded my i3 for a 330e and the feature I miss the most is "one-pedal" driving. The regenerative braking is a software feature and it should be easy to add the option in the "vehicle" settings. My 330e allows me to program the "Sport" setting to apply to drivetrain, chassis, or both. Please do the same for regenerative braking.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #115
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted99 View Post
When the "e" version appears, I would like to see the ability to select aggressive regenerative braking. I just traded my i3 for a 330e and the feature I miss the most is "one-pedal" driving. The regenerative braking is a software feature and it should be easy to add the option in the "vehicle" settings. My 330e allows me to program the "Sport" setting to apply to drivetrain, chassis, or both. Please do the same for regenerative braking.
I'm surprised the 330e doesn't have it. I drove the Model S over a few days in 2015 and loved that I only had to unless the brake pedal if I wanted to come to a stand still. Any time I wanted to slow down, I just lifted my foot off the gas pedal and the regenerative braking would slow the car down.

My concern about the electric only X3 is that it will be extremely heavy and have a poor range.
      06-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #116
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

It doesn't--very obvious after coming from the i3 which does. My principal complaint regarding the i3 was it's terrible ride over less than optimum pavement. It's supposed to be an "urban" car and that's the way I used it--inside the inner ring road around Houston. But those urban streets are terrible and it was as if I was in an unsprung coal cart. The 330e is like night and day in road compliance and still feels like a very light car. I charge each night and hardly ever go on petrol power. With stronger regenerative braking, I could probably go to every other day charging.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 11:06 PM   #117
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Looks like Bmw was reading this thread, about 80% of wishlist implemented. My biggest gripe the color choices are so few and surround cameras can't be ticked separately but part of an expensive package same as digital clusters wth?

Last edited by Bimar; 07-14-2017 at 11:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 12:27 PM   #118
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
... it would be helpful to have a heavy duty cargo tray with extension capability to provide coverage of the entire cargo hold area (and not just the back portion as we have now).
In case a fabrication team has been given the go-ahead to begin designing this X3 accessory as listed at #93, I just wished to add - please make sure the side edges are high enough to prevent dirt and items from rolling off the edges of the back seats when fully extended. If not, then the debris ends up falling onto the seat sides and into the door recess holding areas. I had enough tarp with this morning's boulder load to roll up the sides some but dirt still made its way down. Many thanks if this becomes reality!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      07-30-2017, 05:22 PM   #119
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
Looks like Bmw was reading this thread, about 80% of wishlist implemented. My biggest gripe the color choices are so few and surround cameras can't be ticked separately but part of an expensive package same as digital clusters wth?
I've started the spreadsheet to check off which G01 'Wishlist' items may have been included in the G01 production vehicles, but until I see one first-hand will hold off posting.

On the topic of exterior paint colors am also a bit surprised at the minimal choice range across the color spectrum, but at least we have 'Individual' to add another option. I saw my first ever Maserati Levante today as it passed at a busy intersection. Didn't have much time to view it, but saw the front grill trident. Could have sworn it was an Infiniti at first glance but the symbology was definitive. Going to their site it appears they offer 11 exterior color options - http://www.maseratiusa.com/maserati/...main/exteriors . While/whilst not advocating the Levante for our needs by any means, I do share your concern with the color choices, and am not quite sure why they limited the X3? There must be a Corporate reason for doing so, but not sure they checked with the Enthusiast Marketing Sample.

Last edited by Max Well; 07-30-2017 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: 11 colors it seems for the Maserati, not 9 as first written.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 10:46 PM   #120
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
I've started the spreadsheet to check off which G01 'Wishlist' items may have been included in the G01 production vehicles, but until I see one first-hand will hold off posting.

On the topic of exterior paint colors am also a bit surprised at the minimal choice range across the color spectrum, but at least we have 'Individual' to add another option. I saw my first ever Maserati Levante today as it passed at a busy intersection. Didn't have much time to view it, but saw the front grill trident. Could have sworn it was an Infiniti at first glance but the symbology was definitive. Going to their site it appears they offer 11 exterior color options - http://www.maseratiusa.com/maserati/...main/exteriors . While/whilst not advocating the Levante for our needs by any means, I do share your concern with the color choices, and am not quite sure why they limited the X3? There must be a Corporate reason for doing so, but not sure they checked with the Enthusiast Marketing Sample.
On colors I am sure they want to skim by adding them as individual colors..how else will bmw take advantage of us :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 04:37 PM   #121
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
On colors I am sure they want to skim by adding them as individual colors..how else will bmw take advantage of us :-)
Have no idea how paint schemes are decided, but there do seem to be distinctions in this regards amongst the Mnfrs - some offer across-the-spectrum variations, whereas others focus on the more utilitarian shades with subtle changes therein. Doubt it is by coincidence, and hope it is not simply a financially-based decision.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 08:07 PM   #122
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Just curious.....now that you have your M40i, how did they do???
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 12:11 PM   #123
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcooper View Post
Just curious.....now that you have your M40i, how did they do???
Still trying to get to know it, but I definitely want to do a checklist once more familiar to see what made the grade!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 12:23 PM   #124
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Still trying to get to know it, but I definitely want to do a checklist once more familiar to see what made the grade!
Aw, come one!! You've had it like 24 hours and have only posted around 100 various comments and pictures!! Snap to it!!
Appreciate 0