BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
NCSL
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3

Do you hear a fan blowing to cool the radio?

Hi Everyone,

We have a 2014 X3 28i. We recently noticed that there is a quiet but rather bothersome fan blowing on behind the radio controls. I can hear it blowing through the vents, after the climate control is off. It almost always turns on after driving for 10+ minutes. I don't recall this fan noise in the past, typically car the car is dead silent when you turn off the heating vents.

Brought it to the dealer and they said this fan is very normal and that its a "newer feature." They did not do anything to correct the "issue". Even when the car is shutoff the interior fan continues to blow until it's locked and about 30-60 seconds pass. I am aware that other mechanical fans may make noise after the car is shutoff; however, this is a specific interior fan behind the climate control area that blows on the inside of the radio (as the dealer claims).

Has anyone else noticed this as well or is this an actual issue with our X3? Also note, the fan pushes out no air from the vents, it rather circulates air behind the controls.

I've been reading posts here for a while and appreciated everyone guidance. This is my first post, we picked up our '14 X3 in October and have enjoyed it thus far. The temperature in our area has rarely been above 35 degrees, so we are no experiencing any heat that would be out of the ordinary.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Interesting that you mention this, but I hear a noise from behind the radio/idrive screen. It does sound like a fan. I can't hear it above the stereo, but if I have the music off, it is a bit irritating. I am going to mention it to the dealer when the car next goes in!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
NCSL
Registered
Rep

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the insight. I'd be curious of any other members have noticed this before and if I'm just driving myself crazy with this small issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
flavius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
Interesting that you mention this, but I hear a noise from behind the radio/idrive screen. It does sound like a fan. I can't hear it above the stereo, but if I have the music off, it is a bit irritating. I am going to mention it to the dealer when the car next goes in!
I'm curious and will check this out over the weekend - you are driving around with climate off right now?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 07:20 PM   #5
EvilGenius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

You basically have a custom built desktop computer stuck in the dash there. It packs a fairly powerful CPU, hard disk drive, and a current generation graphics chip. Stuff like that is gonna generate heat, it's a fact of life. To cool a hot computer, you will need a fan. I hear mine whenever the NBT boots up when opening the door, but I quickly ignore it once the engine, ventilation, and radio are going. Don't sweat it. Turn on the radio and enjoy the drive!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #6
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Yep.. I have the 2011 x3 20d with basic iDrive, 7" screen, no nav, no hdd.. the fan noise is there. I only notice them when the engine is off (after shutting off the car, or when turning on the car without starting it), otherwise not noticeable at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #7
Pitiful Old Man
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Our 2011 35i with nav and all the options makes no noise. Or, I'm hard of hearing!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #8
NCSL
Registered
Rep

Thanks guys, great to know. I also have no nav, which was a decision I'm happy with based on value. Google Maps and iPhone have been great to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
I'm curious and will check this out over the weekend - you are driving around with climate off right now?
Flavius, I have climate permanently on in auto mode. I only hear the noise with the engine running. I have turned the climate control fan fully off so the heater/cooling fan is off and I still hear the noise.

I had an old car once with a mechanical cable driven speedo and the cable drive made a similar noise to this. If you have had one, you may know what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
EvilGenius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
Flavius, I have climate permanently on in auto mode. I only hear the noise with the engine running. I have turned the climate control fan fully off so the heater/cooling fan is off and I still hear the noise.

I had an old car once with a mechanical cable driven speedo and the cable drive made a similar noise to this. If you have had one, you may know what I mean.
It isn't the computer fan then: the computer is on from when you either unlock the car or open the front doors and it will remain on after the car has sat for 8 minutes or you lock the car. If you only hear this noise when the engine is running then it is something else. In addition the computer fan isn't audible if you have the engine on and/or the HVAC blower.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #11
jman103099
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 & 2011 F25

I had this fan noise this weekend (2011 X3). Thought it was odd. Not the HVAC, but coming from the radio area. Good to know it wasnt just me...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 07:04 AM   #12
kraulto
Enlisted Member
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2015 320D

Have you brought it back to the dealer?
I have a 2016 320D. Exactly the same issue. Incidentally, this annoying fan sound also gets activated, when a door or doors, trunk or hood are opened or simply turning the radio on. Then when driven, it becomes progressively louder as it coincides with engine revolutions. The sound actually drowns out the a/c blower. I sometimes get confused as to which fan is running. On the bright side, it shuts off in exactly 5 mins. and 55 seconds. The timer begins as soon as the engine is turned off. The doors, trunk and hood are closed. Unfortunately, turns right back on as soon a door is opened, or an accessory is turned on like the radio. This is super annoying. Can this fan be permanently disconnected?

Last edited by kraulto; 02-27-2021 at 07:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 08:48 AM   #13
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraulto View Post
I have a 2016 320D. Exactly the same issue. Incidentally, this annoying fan sound also gets activated, when a door or doors, trunk or hood are opened or simply turning the radio on. Then when driven, it becomes progressively louder as it coincides with engine revolutions. The sound actually drowns out the a/c blower. I sometimes get confused as to which fan is running. On the bright side, it shuts off in exactly 5 mins. and 55 seconds. The timer begins as soon as the engine is turned off. The doors, trunk and hood are closed. Unfortunately, turns right back on as soon a door is opened, or an accessory is turned on like the radio. This is super annoying. Can this fan be permanently disconnected?
Holly thread resurrection, you do realize these posts are 7 years old, right?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 05:48 PM   #14
kraulto
Enlisted Member
Philippines
Rep

The issue with my car just happened last week. So, yes am aware these post are 7 years old.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 07:45 PM   #15
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
The issue with my car just happened last week. So, yes am aware these post are 7 years old.
Well, you asked the OP if they took it back to the dealer, though they haven't been on this forum in 7 years so they probably won't answer the question you asked them

I assumed you were not aware it's a 7 year old thread, that's why I mentioned it, sorry, my bad. Maybe someone else will jump in and help you
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 07:59 PM   #16
e30lover318i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30,E34T,E46,F48

No you can’t disconnect a cooling fan for an electrical component...

Try removing the unit and cleaning the fan off they usually get dust in them
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 11:13 AM   #17
kraulto
Enlisted Member
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Well, you asked the OP if they took it back to the dealer, though they haven't been on this forum in 7 years so they probably won't answer the question you asked them

I assumed you were not aware it's a 7 year old thread, that's why I mentioned it, sorry, my bad. Maybe someone else will jump in and help you
I was hoping by some miracle the OP lurks....even after 7 years...kinda desperate here.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 11:16 AM   #18
kraulto
Enlisted Member
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30lover318i View Post
No you can’t disconnect a cooling fan for an electrical component...

Try removing the unit and cleaning the fan off they usually get dust in them
I appreciate that. I will attempt to DIY.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 12:39 PM   #19
e30lover318i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30,E34T,E46,F48

No problem! The dust usually throws the fan off balance, I’ve seen this a lot on the e38/39 hvac fan. If possible use compressed air to clean but be very gentle.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 05:28 PM   #20
kraulto
Enlisted Member
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
No problem! The dust usually throws the fan off balance, I’ve seen this a lot on the e38/39 hvac fan. If possible use compressed air to clean but be very gentle.
Am glad that this is not an isolated incident. The dealer wants the entire head unit replaced. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 05:57 PM   #21
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Am glad that this is not an isolated incident. The dealer wants the entire head unit replaced. Thanks again.
The fan in the head unit is tiny so I doubt some dust on the blades would cause it to be out of balance causing it to make noise. The fan may be failing (broken blade, bad bearing, etc...) you may be able to replace the fan with one of the same spec. I'd take the head unit out and diagnose the fan, probably runs off 12vdc.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 05:45 PM   #22
kraulto
Enlisted Member
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
The fan in the head unit is tiny so I doubt some dust on the blades would cause it to be out of balance causing it to make noise. The fan may be failing (broken blade, bad bearing, etc...) you may be able to replace the fan with one of the same spec. I'd take the head unit out and diagnose the fan, probably runs off 12vdc.
You are absolutely right. It will be just a matter of time before the head unit fan seizes up. It is definitely a bad bearing and cleaning it will not fix it. I have consulted with an independent BMW mechanic. He was wiling to clean it but his disclaimer is might not fix it. He dealt with the same issue but on a on a newer X5, ended up replacing the head unit. Dealer price on the head unit is about $1,600, depending on the model, and labor is about $150 that includes encoding. This really sucks
Appreciate 0