BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-03-2016, 08:28 PM   #1
mstgeer
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 017 F85 Donnington Grey, Arago

Changed front wheel hub

Approx 74k miles, had typical bearing noise, no discernable bearing movement.
Install it pretty straight forward, used 1/2 air impact and 3/8 long handle flex head ratchet to remove most components. An assortment of extension lengths and an impact universal joint came in handy. Does take some special size tools, a large hex bit (not sure of size) for axle hub bolt and a t60 torx bit (which I did not have) for the hub retaining bolts. I was not able to take pics, total time was 2hrs incl 45 min. run to advance to get t60 bit.
Jack up and secure vehicle on stands.
Remove wheel
Keep rotor from turning by inserting screw driver in vein slot of rotor and against top side of caliper bracket, Remove center axle bolt. Had to use breaker bar with cheater pipe to break loose bolt is on TIGHT. My impact would not break it loose.
Remove rotor retaining screw
Remove caliper bracket bolts and caliper, retain out of way with zip tie or s hook
Remove wheel speed sensor
Remove (4) hub retaining bolts from backside of spindle with T60 bit. One I got was 1/2 drive, gear wrench brand from advance. It is a tight confined space to work in but no need to remove axle, tie rod or any of the suspension arms. It helped to turn steering wheel to gain better access to the the bolts.
Reinstall in reverse order.

Message or post if you have any questions.

Happy wrenching.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 09:21 AM   #2
x3heh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda

Good Job!

Nice! Wonder how much was the hub, and the time it took to do the job? This was front?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #3
mstgeer
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 017 F85 Donnington Grey, Arago

It was the right front wheel hub and only took 2 hrs incl 45 min trip to advance to get the T60 1/2" drive bit. it is a 100% bolt in assembly, unlike my e90 3 series which I believe are a pressed assembly. I'm dreading that day if it ever comes...

I picked up the *** hub off ebay for $130. These hubs cross reference to a number of other BMW's, (xdrive 5 series) so perform alternate searches to find the best deals. (one I got was not listed for X3)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 05:32 PM   #4
x3heh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. Appreciated, just in case when this happens here.
Appreciate 0