BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-26-2016, 05:09 PM   #1
momoboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 35i 2017

BimmerTech Smartview Review

BimmerTech SmartView Pro Review - New updated unit - 5ghz WiFi

I recently installed the BimmerTech Smartview unit my 2011 F25 X3. This is a new UPDATED unit called the SmartView Pro with 5GHz WiFi. I wanted to take some time to work with the unit before I posted and I would now like to highlight the features of this unit.

What is it?

So, what does this basically do? For those that don’t know the device lets you mirror whatever is on your Android or IOS device to your iDrive screen. The only limitation is content that is DRM protected like Netflix and YouTube (although there are YouTube alternatives that work) won’t mirror. Now the most common use for this is mirroring navigation software (Waze, Google Maps, etc.) If you have a non-navigation vehicle this is a huge plus. Being able to have your phone navigation (with sound) play through your iDrive screen and car audio is great. I don’t like phone mounts so this is a much more integrated approach that looks totally factory when you are using it.

Why would I want this?

Well, I have navigation so you might ask what more I could do with this unit? First, while the BMW navigation is good I do prefer google maps. Additionally, since I have a CIC unit the “send to car” feature is no longer available (no more 2G) and now I have to type things in manually instead of ending from Google. I liked the ease of doing that. Also, when searching for something on my phone it easy to click directions and then the navigation process begins. So, by using SmartView I can do just that. Once connected (which I’ll go over) you just grab your phone, find the location and then mirror. Now your navigation comes up on your iDrive. I also like to use alternatives such as Waze. This allows me to do that as well.

What else can I do with this?

I also like to see album art. With the CIC units I can’t (unless I use the USB) but I like to see it from streaming sources such as Spotify, Pandora and Amazon Prime. Now I can play my music through the car, see it on the iDrive screen and get the album art. Even those with NBT units the album art doesn’t always work passed the first song.
Now, for those that have kids (or have to wait for a significant other while you are in the car) you can stream live TV (e.g. NBC allows mirroring) or even a video you have downloaded. It’s much nicer to watch on your iDrive screen then holding your phone in your hand for a while! And yes, if you have video in motion enabled your passenger can watch while you drive 
One of my favorite features is the ability to mirror apps. Besides showing Facebook, twitter, texts, internet browsing there are other cool aspects. Let’s say you have an app on your phone that shows 0-60 times or braking force or even OBDII data such as oil temp, pressure, turbo boost, etc. With this unit it can now be displayed on your iDrive screen.

How does it work?

So, how does it work? Well once installed (and you do need to have a multimedia adaptor already installed) it generates a wifi network in your car that you connect to with your phone. Once connected you mirror your device (using the built in function in IOS and Android). The video will not come through your iDrive screen. You can watch full screen or split screen. The audio is passed through the AUX input in your center console (but its wireless from your phone to the SmartView). There is nothing to connect to your phone for audio/video.

Performance – Responsiveness, Video and Audio

So how does it perform? This is a new updated unit from the previous 2.4ghz units. The older units had some lag. This new unit now uses 5ghz WiFi. The new unit has better video quality and NO lag or dropouts even with video intensive applications. For video quality I would give it an A. The quality is excellent. Streaming TV looks amazing on it. Picture from my phone look great. It’s as good as the iDrive screen can muster and even on a CIC unit it’s great!
Audio is also great. Sound quality is equal to and perhaps better than Bluetooth. The bandwidth is greater on wifi than Bluetooth (so I have read). While I can’t say I actually heard a difference the good news is that it sounds the same so no issues going over wifi
The performance is also amazing. The mirroring is super responsive. It is almost instantaneous between when I do something on the phone and when it changes on the iDrive screen. Even very bandwidth intensive applications stream perfectly. For those that have done similar mirroring with Apple TV or other Smart TV’s I think you will be impressed. It seems to be more responsive.
Overall I’m very happy. I continue to find uses for it as I have more and more apps on my phone.

Take a look at the video I made and you can get an idea of how it looks/works

If anyone is in the Central NJ area and wants to check it out I’m happy to show it to you.

Last edited by momoboy; 04-28-2016 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 3
X3power10.00
      04-27-2016, 01:30 AM   #2
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

That sounds like a really neat solution for cars without sat nav etc. The functionality you have is now on par with mine which is a Lci version with professional media. Well done!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 03:24 PM   #3
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Nice review, but what about the How much does it cost? heading?

By the way, on this point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoboy View Post

I recently installed the BimmerTech Smartview unit my 2011 F25 X3.

Why would I want this?

Well, I have navigation so you might ask what more I could do with this unit? First, while the BMW navigation is good I do prefer google maps. Additionally, since I have a CIC unit the “send to car” feature is no longer available (no more 2G) and now I have to type things in manually instead of ending from Google. I liked the ease of doing that.
I assume all F25's are affected? I've got a 2014, and as of a couple of weeks ago, I sent a Google address to the car without issues. Is Canada affected also, do you know, and as of what date?

Last edited by Lotus99; 04-27-2016 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 03:47 PM   #4
momoboy
Private First Class
Rep

The cost on the bimmertech site is $475 for both the smartview and the multimedia box required.

I believe the issue of not being able to send google to car (and other issues) is only with CIC units (which have 2g). NBT units do not have the issue. Not exactly sure what year it changed from CIC to NBT
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 05:31 PM   #5
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

NBT is now 3g and the 2016 models have LTE connectivity
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 06:00 PM   #6
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
Gotcha. Thanks. Wiki says:

iDrive Professional Navigation (CIC-HIGH)

BMW introduced a further update to the iDrive Professional System in late 2012, calling it the "Next Big Thing" (NBT).
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 10:34 AM   #7
Ylinen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
I have a 2016 model and the screen says 3G.

Bimmer-Tech does such cool things. Wish they could come up with a module to modernize the cellular connectivity. Or even better, use your phone.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 09:31 AM   #8
Ylinen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

Android Auto on Any BMW I-drive

Bimmer-Tech, you guys got handed a big help.

At Google IO 2016, Google announce that Android Auto would be a smartphone only APP. So now with your SmartView and a smartphone, you can have Audroid AUTO. When they have the WAZE in it, I am going to get one.

How about making it super easy to get it and install it.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 05:48 PM   #9
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

One down side you cannot use the phone cradle if you have one in the arm rest and keep the voice going, so you end up having to have the phone exposed, it kind of kill the neat part of it I was hopping specially when using the sat nav app, will hoped to keep my phone plugged in and using the outside antenna with the cradle.... over all not a replacement to OEM units and need to make sure some apps don't crash due to mirroring.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 08:39 AM   #10
momoboy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
One down side you cannot use the phone cradle if you have one in the arm rest and keep the voice going, so you end up having to have the phone exposed, it kind of kill the neat part of it I was hopping specially when using the sat nav app, will hoped to keep my phone plugged in and using the outside antenna with the cradle.... over all not a replacement to OEM units and need to make sure some apps don't crash due to mirroring.
Just as an FYI while I don't have a cradle I plugged my phone into the center console USB port (to keep it charged) and used the navigation. There was no issue with leaving it hidden in there. Navigation signal was excellent. While I agree it is not a replacement to OEM it is a great alternative and integrates well with the factory screen/stereo.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 02:33 AM   #11
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Thank you for the amazing review!

Now we are also offering SmartView HD based on AppleTV which gives iPhone/Android mirroring in HD as well as all AppleTV 3 features!

Appreciate 0