BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-03-2012, 11:45 PM   #23
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
I don't get it. Can't tell? Just look at it. The difference in the positions is certainly noticeable. Can also feel with your fingertips; again the different positions are easily discernible.
+1
      05-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #24
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 N52T

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
another cool feature I noticed today is when you put the shifter to Reverse then rear wiper increases the speed automatically...put it back to drive then it becomes intermittent.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #25
snowboardjoe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

I know some people think this thread is silly, but there is definitely a lot of confusion I've noticed so far. I just got my 2013 X3 28i a few days ago and we're still confused.

Focusing just on the rear wiper, from what we've observed so far, pushing the stalk forward (away from steering wheel) triggers the rear wiper to start wiping. It wipes three times and goes into a fixed, intermittent mode. The stalk itself always springs back to the original position. From here, if I push forward again, the rear washer activates. So, it seems one push forward turns it on and another push (of equal pressure) triggers washing. If I pull back a little, the front windshield washer activates.

So, at this point, I have no idea how to turn off the rear wiper. When we turned off the auto front wipers, the rear wiper kept on going. I have not tried to push the stalk down to see if that might turn it off.

BMW goes out of its way to make instruments and controls intuitive, but they failed on this one. At the very least, provide instructions. Nothing in the manual speaks on how to turn the rear wiper off (other than turning off the vehicle).

I'll experiment more this week. I live in Seattle--lots of practice in the rain.

Last edited by snowboardjoe; 05-22-2012 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #26
bluedevils
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 35i

turn rear wiper on with a shot of cleaning solution = push stock all the way forward past the "bump" feel and let the stock spring back.

turn rear wiper on without shot of cleaning solution = push stock forward just a little past the "bump" feel and let the stock spring back

turn of rear wiper = pull stock back just past the "bump" feel. Going further than that will turn it off, but it will turn on the front wiper cleaning solution/3 wipes.

I hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #27
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
In mine the rear wiper seems to be intermittent but not rain sensing. It'll keep wiping even if front and back are completely dry. If put into reverse when it's on it switches to continuous wiping.
Same here.....
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #28
snowboardjoe
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevils View Post
turn rear wiper on with a shot of cleaning solution = push stock all the way forward past the "bump" feel and let the stock spring back.

turn rear wiper on without shot of cleaning solution = push stock forward just a little past the "bump" feel and let the stock spring back

turn of rear wiper = pull stock back just past the "bump" feel. Going further than that will turn it off, but it will turn on the front wiper cleaning solution/3 wipes.

I hope that helps
Thanks, I'll definitely try that again when I get home from work this evening. Normally I can sense those pressure points easily, but did not notice them on wiper stalk. I'll let you know if this works or not.
      05-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #29
snowboardjoe
Private
United_States
Rep

OK, the control worked differently than what I thought. It does have two distinct positions similar to the high/low beam selection. It all makes sense now. I think it was always in the forward position from the time I got it and I activated the wipers by triggering the washer which threw me.

I'm good. Thanks!
      05-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #30
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

After a bit you'll be able to tell be touch which position it is in.
Appreciate 0