BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #23
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijioben View Post
OK, I guess I should try to put this item to rest. First, please see the attached picture: it is the official word from BMW.

Now, about how it feels, at least to me.

The dampers in the car without VDC feel a bit softer than the ones in the Sport setting of the car with VDC. The level of softness to me is as follows:

soft
hard
+----------------------------+---------------+
VDC Normal
No VDC
VDC Sport
Please keep in mind this is subjective. Also, the change is noticeable but not dramatic.

As for the throttle control, this is exactly as indicated in the brochure. In Sport mode, a car with VDC reacts immediately to changes in pressure on the accelerator pedal, whereas a car with VDC in Normal mode or a car without VDC behave identically - with some amount of throttle lag.

Finally, the steering. I think that the attached chart is again correct here. I must say as an aside that centering of steering forces in the X3 seems a bit off when accelerating. Sometimes the stiffening of the wheel happens while making a control movement and this may lead one on the outside of a turn, which I think is the only less than optimal behaviour I found so far. But this is for another post.

I hope this helps!
thanks a mill for cracking this one i can finally order without VDC and know the ride will be smooth still. This info would make a great post for tons of people have asked and noone has had acomprehensive answer as this with charts and all.

Last edited by Bimar; 03-08-2011 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #24
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Thanks for this. Where did you get that table at the end? I'm not sure where this leaves me on servotronic with the UK Dynamic Package. Does this mean my servotronic is actually set to sport, I wonder?

Also, is that soft - hard chart to scale?! Does that mean there is a much bigger difference between VDC Normal and No VDC than between No VDC and VDC Sport?

Sorry for the annoying questions.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #25
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Thanks for this. Where did you get that table at the end?
The table is taken from the 2011 BMW Product Planning Bulletin for Canadian X3s. I have been given some parts taken from that document by my CA to ensure I had accurate information before making my choice.

Quote:
I'm not sure where this leaves me on servotronic with the UK Dynamic Package. Does this mean my servotronic is actually set to sport, I wonder?
Servotronic in Canada is standard on both models so I am not sure about how the X3 behaves without it - I would guess that without Servotronic the "stiffness" of the steering wheel is fixed (and reading other threads, it looks like it is on the soft side); with Servotronic, the "stiffness" changes as the speed changes, becoming harder as the speed increases. In that sense, the rate of change and initial level changes with VDC in Sport mode as opposed to VDC in Normal mode. I have not tried the variable sport steering as in Canada it is only available with the M Sport package.

Quote:
Also, is that soft - hard chart to scale?! Does that mean there is a much bigger difference between VDC Normal and No VDC than between No VDC and VDC Sport?
Yes, it is to scale - but the difference is just bigger, not much bigger. As well, subjectively the dampers do not change that much. It is not the difference between and old Cadillac and a Ferrari.

I reproduced the Normal setting in my VDC car by putting VDC in Normal and then enabling DTC with the DSC off button located near the transmission selector lever. My subjective finding is that the car is more responsive to the road but not at the level of VDC Sport. In VDC Normal, there is a bit more of a spring and a bounce when encountering road discontinuities, which filters out harshness in the ride but distances me from the road. Since the electric steering is not the best way to sense the road, I rely on the dampers to give me a more accurate feeling of the road surface, so when I want to be more responsive to road conditions I switch to VDC Sport. When I commute or I go for a longer drive on the highway, I am happy to leave the setting to Normal.

I hope I did not go overboard. Still in the honeymoon period - I like to talk about my X3 forever...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #26
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Thanks for taking the time jijioben. Much appreciated. This is interesting and I'm sure very useful to lots of people as well

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #27
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Great info. Thank you!
      03-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #28
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Happy to help. This forum is an amazing source of information; it played a big role in my learning about the X3 and eventually buying it. It feels good to be able to contribute.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #29
haldol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijioben View Post
The table is taken from the 2011 BMW Product Planning Bulletin for Canadian X3s. I have been given some parts taken from that document by my CA to ensure I had accurate information before making my choice.
Is it possible to share with us the entire 'Product Planning Bulletin' that you have?

Last edited by haldol; 03-08-2011 at 11:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #30
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldol View Post
Is it possible to share with us the entire 'Product Planning Bulletin' that you have?
I think so but as a matter of common courtesy I will confirm this with my CA, and that way I may be able to get the PDF instead of some pictures. I'm away until Monday; as soon as I'm back, if I have the OK and the file, I'll post in its own separate thread.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #31
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Congrats on the new X3. I really like the video your sales advisor may have made for you. On your CAD car it appears the lower part of the speedo has something called efficient dynamics. What is that? It did not look like the CAD cars have start stop, is that related? I think the feature differences between the CAD and US cars are interesting such as being able to get lumber on standard seats and different standard wheels and so forth. I really like your interior combination with the black leather and light wood. Additionally, I am impressed by the disclosure from your dealer on the light scrub on the front. I imagine this happens quite often and we never know about it. I scrubbed the front of my X3 with the garage last week where some white house paint scratched the drivers side bumper and plastic wheel house trim with only 500 hundred miles it was painful. I was able to polish the painted bumper but have a few scraps on the plastic trim. Best wishes on your new BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #32
Mike99PA
I Just Ordered My 2011 X3 35i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Sapphire Black X3 3.0

Very nice write up and included pictures! I love the black exterior color.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #33
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks Ando - with every passing day I'm more and more satisfied with my X3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ando View Post
On your CAD car it appears the lower part of the speedo has something called efficient dynamics. What is that? It did not look like the CAD cars have start stop, is that related?
This exists in all cars with Professional Radio + Navigation. There is a thread on it in the forum. Try

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497181

for more pictures and a video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ando View Post
Additionally, I am impressed by the disclosure from your dealer on the light scrub on the front.
Me too. I was very happy with how all worked out. As a gadget lover, I'd always want all I own to be completely pristine, but a car is too much of a "big item" to be able to keep it that way. And in fact, how it reacts to repairs is an important component of the owner's experience. So although I'm not happy it happened to me, I've found a validation of my CA and my dealership and that is quite important considering they'll handle my car for at least he next four years.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #34
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldol View Post
I've gotten the OK from my CA - and the file. Here it is; enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ProductOrdeingInfo.pdf (1.65 MB, 695 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #35
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
This line totally made my day:

"• Under “Normal” mode, suspension setting is softer than the base vehicle, providing a more comfort- oriented driving experience"

That is exactly and I mean EXACTLY - what I was hoping and looking for.

Really happy I placed the order for the DHP (in the US that is) and can have the (extra) soft setting and flick a switch and stiffen it all up.

Cool, very cool.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #36
haldol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Thank you jijioben

Give us any files if you have more.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 11:49 PM   #37
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

My pleasure! It's great to be able to learn from everyone in the forum. I did not realize how long it would take me to actually learn the accessories and features of my new X3. They are small things sometimes but they all contribute to making the driving experience one of the best I've had.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #38
silverforumsurf
Private
Rep
Drives: To Buy

hmm is servotronic sport steering heavier than "normal"?
Can you set comfort dampeners and normal servo?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #39
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf View Post
hmm is servotronic sport steering heavier than "normal"?
Can you set comfort dampeners and normal servo?
My driving impression is that Normal servotronic is in fact what I get in my car with DDC in normal mode. As I accelerate, the steering wheel stiffens but I must go at highways speeds to notice it. In Sport mode, things happen a little faster and the steering is immediately tighter. At least, that is my impression.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 11:40 PM   #40
silverforumsurf
Private
Rep

Thanks! I sent you a PM but is there an option when you customize/configure the setting on iDrive to switch Servo between "normal" and "sport"?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 05:13 AM   #41
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

With DDC suspension and steering are grouped in what they call "chassis". You can configure whether the sport setting (via the DDC controls) changes chassis and transmission, just transmission, or just chassis. No way I've found to only adjust the steering.
      05-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #42
silverforumsurf
Private
Rep

jigo or Nahoa any chance you could post a picture of the suspension dampener area on this thread? we're trying to put to rest whether m sport comes with it or not!

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527515
Appreciate 0