BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-31-2020, 01:10 PM   #1
pedroso
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Should I buy this 2012 X3 28i N52 engine 80k miles?

Hey guys, first post on this forum and hopefully this will be my new home after selling my A4.
I've been looking at X3s for awhile and this one looks promising, one owner, mostly maintained at BMW dealership.
One thing that I noticed is the front brake pads and discs need to be replaced pretty soon so that I'm confident that I can get the price reduced at least for that maintenance cost.
Here's the link for the car at Carfax so there's a free Carfax report down below as well.

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/5UXWX5C5XCL728050
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...oRZ00jps5G8HwN

I saw that at least at the Carfax report doesn't show any spark plugs replacement or transmission flush or anything like that.
So for a car of that mileage, what should I expect to get it fixed soon? Anything that I should look for that could be a problem?

Thank you guys!!

Last edited by pedroso; 10-31-2020 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 01:58 PM   #2
pedroso
Rep

Sorry for the double post guys, just found this 2012 N55 with around the same miles.
https://www.eastportautos.com/vehicl...871c3443da9769

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...wx7c57cl976008

Going to take a look at this one rn. Maybe if I get this one down to 13k would be a good deal?

Also noticed that neither cars have on record a water pump replacement, that should also be something that I could try to get a discount on.

Last edited by pedroso; 10-31-2020 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 03:04 PM   #3
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

2 cars older than my 2015 with fewer miles. Some of this depends on you. The extra power of the turbo vs additional engine component that may require service.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 02:19 PM   #4
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon BMW

I’m pretty much in the same boat as you but I’m not buying anything until the end of the month.
Seems like biggest issue on the 6 cylinder is the water pump so check if that’s been replaced. Other than that it seems like general condition and history of the car is the main thing. I’ll let others fill in
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 02:43 PM   #5
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Everything else being equal, go for N55. The mileage isn't really that different. I do like the red more than white. And if one has head up display, I love mine.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 03:34 PM   #6
AlexF25
X3 Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 X3 xdrive28i

Both are nice looking cars. Depends if you prefer the 28i vs 35i. I like the white exterior bit more, but that's personal preference. the 35i doesn't seem to have navigation, if thats a concern.

I just did a complete brake job, pads+rotors+sensors and also brake fluid flush. Total parts were just under $350 and did it myself so saved on labor. Also did the spark plugs, $70 for oem NGKs. Plugs are fairly easy and straight forward. If you do maintenance yourself, its cost effective. Not sure how much labor will add to that.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 06:43 PM   #7
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Whichever car you get serious about, pay a mechanic to do pre-purchase inspection. Car should among other things be put on a lift and plastic belly pan under motor removed to inspect for any oil leakage at pan, tranny and transfer case.

Plan to get tranny and Xfer case fluids changed if no record of that being done. Water pump preventative replacement between now and 100K miles to insure reliability....that's about a $1500 (shop) repair.

FYI, I opted for N52 motor (no turbo), less moving parts to wear out/fail. Power is OK but certainly not like N55 with turbo.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 01:27 PM   #8
pedroso
Rep

So after a lot of back and forth with the dealer I got the white one for $13k.
If it was only up to me I would've gone with the red one even tho it had a small crack on the windshield and the leather wasn't as good as the 35i, but my wife liked the white one better even though the white doesn't have Nav, Bluetooth, backup camera, floor mats, like the red one did. I don't know how I didn't notice at the dealer that the tail light was out, already ordered the drivers to replace that.
I looked under the car and no leaks, water pump was not replaced, brake pads will need to be replaced soon, oil change in 3k miles. I definitely noticed the difference on driving the 35i, and the turbo definitely makes a difference.
Its a great car for sure, looking forward to be working on it and hopefully wont break my bank lol
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      11-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #9
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroso View Post
If it was only up to me I would've gone with the red one even tho it had a small crack on the windshield and the leather wasn't as good as the 35i, but my wife liked the white one better even though the white doesn't have Nav, Bluetooth, backup camera, floor mats, like the red one did. I don't know how I didn't notice at the dealer that the tail light was out, already ordered the drivers to replace that.
I looked under the car and no leaks, water pump was not replaced, brake pads will need to be replaced soon, oil change in 3k miles. I definitely noticed the difference on driving the 35i, and the turbo definitely makes a difference.
Its a great car for sure, looking forward to be working on it and hopefully wont break my bank lol
Congratulations! Seems like a great deal.
I think the white is much better looking than the red one as well lol
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 07:37 AM   #10
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroso View Post
There is a fix for the LED brake light without ordering a new unit. Search this forum.

And there are android head units you can install to get carplay/android auto and even retrofit back-up camera since yours doesnt have it, also search the forum.

good luck
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 09:02 AM   #11
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

yes

/msg length
Appreciate 0