BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-26-2020, 11:35 AM   #1
supreetsingh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i - 2013

Bilstein Shocks , where can I find front strut mount ?

Hello,

This is for 2013 BMW X3 35 I

I have front bilstein shocks but my mechanic told me you need a complete strut assembly and then he told me he can used the same spring or coil.
So what else do I need ? Only strut mounts ?
Can any strut mount fit with Bilstein BMW X3 35i or is there any specific strut mount for bilstein shocks

Pictures attached for what I have !
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 12:48 PM   #2
strohw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 Versys 1000, 20 KTM 690 SMC

There's only 3 wear parts besides what you have in the picture. Those would be the bump stop, bellow and strut mount. So technically you could transfer over your OE parts and you're done. However that doesn't mean your bump stop or strut mount are in good condition. If you don't know the condition of these items then you may want to replace them all.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 06:05 PM   #3
AlexF25
X3 Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 X3 xdrive28i

I just installed new bilstein b4 front struts on my '11 x3 28i, exact same struts as the ones in your pic (same part numbers). I only replaced the struts and strut mounts. ordered them from autohausaz.com since i'm on west coast.

fcpeuro makes a nice front strut mount kit if which inlcudes everything you need:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-31306852158kt

I reused my bump stop since they were in acceptable condition, not torn, but new would of been nicer. But you will need to get the new screws because they are self tapping and should only be onetime use. I freaked out when I first saw my new mounts were not threaded, they are oem Lemfoerder. had to research to verify the mounts do not come threaded and should use mounting screws only once. I ended up reusing the old ones becuase I didnt want to wait 3-4 days to get them and of course I did the struts on a Friday and woulda had to wait til wednesday-thursday, even the dealer had to order these.

I'm doing the rears in near future and will be replacing bump stops as well since they're torn.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 06:35 PM   #4
AlexF25
X3 Newbie
United_States
Rep

Sorry for the long response, the short answer is yes, you need the specific strut mount for your year/model, which are the ones listed in link, and you will also need the new self-tapping screws.

Inspect the struts and if the bump stops & protective boot sleeve are not torn, you can reuse them. If they are torn, i would advise to get new ones to protect the new shocks from premature wear.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 06:54 PM   #5
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I'd recommend getting the complete strut installation kit with new bump stops. The bump stops are an integral part of the suspension characteristics and can become stiff over time and could even crack and fail. I've seen where the bump stop cracked and the dust boot falls onto the top of the strut and caused it to rust.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 09:42 AM   #6
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
I'd recommend getting the complete strut installation kit with new bump stops. The bump stops are an integral part of the suspension characteristics and can become stiff over time and could even crack and fail. I've seen where the bump stop cracked and the dust boot falls onto the top of the strut and caused it to rust.
I tend to agree with this. And though it's a more expensive part it's an easier swap job overall (easier if you do it, less expensive if a shop does it).

I used to just swap struts, then started doing more parts, then finally realized after a few decades that doing the whole combo was usually best.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 09:19 PM   #7
supreetsingh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i - 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexF25 View Post
I just installed new bilstein b4 front struts on my '11 x3 28i, exact same struts as the ones in your pic (same part numbers). I only replaced the struts and strut mounts. ordered them from autohausaz.com since i'm on west coast.

fcpeuro makes a nice front strut mount kit if which inlcudes everything you need:

I reused my bump stop since they were in acceptable condition, not torn, but new would of been nicer. But you will need to get the new screws because they are self tapping and should only be onetime use. I freaked out when I first saw my new mounts were not threaded, they are oem Lemfoerder. had to research to verify the mounts do not come threaded and should use mounting screws only once. I ended up reusing the old ones becuase I didnt want to wait 3-4 days to get them and of course I did the struts on a Friday and woulda had to wait til wednesday-thursday, even the dealer had to order these.

I'm doing the rears in near future and will be replacing bump stops as well since they're torn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexF25 View Post

I wish I could have watched your link , I just ordered it in morning.

So this is what I order for strut mount , but I am not sure why your product Id is different than mine.
For other stuff I will contact bmw here to get it , now I got an idea what to order like bolts, bump stops etc. Thanks man really appreciatef

https://www.carid.com/lemfoerder/fro...24553-lem.html
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 09:58 PM   #8
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by supreetsingh View Post
I wish I could have watched your link , I just ordered it in morning.

So this is what I order for strut mount , but I am not sure why your product Id is different than mine.
For other stuff I will contact bmw here to get it , now I got an idea what to order like bolts, bump stops etc. Thanks man really appreciatef

https://www.carid.com/lemfoerder/fro...24553-lem.html
You're better off returning those and getting the complete fcp kit linked. It'll probably be 1/2 the price of piecing all the parts together from carid and the dealer. Plus fcp has a lifetime warranty
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 02:59 AM   #9
AlexF25
X3 Newbie
United_States
Rep

Agreed, if you are able to return without too much of a loss, perhaps just shipping cost, might be worth it. The front oem Lemfoerder strut mounts usually go for around $30-$32/each at a few sites, unless the $52 is for both mounts, seems high for just one mount.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 04:40 PM   #10
FranzX3M
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 X3M

You should replace the springs at the same time as its no extra labour. You will need an alignment. If replacing the springs wait a few days for the alignment.
Appreciate 0