BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
iFroze
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Tires only or Tires with Rims?

What are you guys deciding these days? Are you going to use your original rims to mount the new winter tires on your X3 or are you getting new rims as well?

Im ordering a set of new 245/50R18 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D ROF tires, but debating if I should just buy the whole tire&wheel package or not.

Another solution is to mount the new winter tires on these original rims and in spring to buy a new set of rims for the warmer weather with original summer tires? Mind you, my winter seasons in Montreal are long and harsh.

What is your opinion on this matter?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Rims & Tires

Went one size smaller to 18" wheels and tires. The car will be kept for along time as my wife has no interest in chopping and changing, making a complete wheel and tire set worthwhile.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Get the second set of wheels if you are keeping it for more than one or two years. I have always done this, and it makes the annual change-overs easy and is better for the tires and wheels not to be taking tires on and off. Saves rebalancing as well. Costly at inception, but amortized over several years, no big deal.

Your winters are exactly what I had put on mine yesterday.
      11-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
jlr_1304
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: none

I bought the 18" dunlop with cheaper rims. 2600$ all in. Will try to post pics when i get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I went for Winter tire on rims with a square setup. Kept the summers on the staggered OEM rims. At about $200 a pop for the Winter rims, figured it was inexpensive enough that it was balanced by less wear remounting the tires, less cost mounting/balancing twice a year, less hassle/time during change-over, and having the unmounted wheels to more easily clean and treat. Just doing this all for the first time, though, so we'll see!!
      11-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
richardew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 x335i

I went with the tire and rim package. I can do the changeover myself, less hassle. It'll cost ~$150 twice a year if you just go with the tires. The rims will be paid for in 2-3 years.

'96 911 C4 Cab (276,000 1 owner smiles)
'11 X3 35i Black Sapphire/Beige,SAP, CP, CWP, DHP, PREM, TECH, Sat radio, Hi Fi, BMW apps, smartphone, 19" w/mixed performance tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 01:46 AM   #7
szabaka
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFroze View Post
What are you guys deciding these days? Are you going to use your original rims to mount the new winter tires on your X3 or are you getting new rims as well?

Im ordering a set of new 245/50R18 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D ROF tires, but debating if I should just buy the whole tire&wheel package or not.

Another solution is to mount the new winter tires on these original rims and in spring to buy a new set of rims for the warmer weather with original summer tires? Mind you, my winter seasons in Montreal are long and harsh.

What is your opinion on this matter?
I always have separate rims for winter vs summer.

Buying the package from Tire Rack worked very well for me. I got the smaller rims as this gives the tires an extra 1/2" of absorbancy when I hit a pot hole. Hit a hole and bottom out the tire and you risk damage to the rim, which for an alloy rim means you buy a new one.

note: recently I got an e-mail alert from BMW for a tire/rim set for winter; and their pricing was unbelievably low. So low I swear I must have misunderstood it, but since I am not in the market I didn't dig into it very far.

ps: I use Michelin Ice X. Great tires. I can drive on unplowed roads with perhaps 6-inches of snow without an issue. These tires are great on dry and wet roads as well, and quiet.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 07:47 AM   #8
iFroze
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Great responses as usual.
I'm going to add these rims to my winter tires order.

Any preference on the rims brand or spoke shapes assuming that they are all going to fit RunOnFlat tires?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #9
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
A separate full wheel/tire set is my recommendation. Makes the semi-annual swap much easier and is much better for the tires.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
caz681
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 Xdrive35i

Keep in mind that, unless your after-market rims conform to the EH2 specification, you will lose run-flat capability at zero pressure. So, if you have a blowout, or otherwise lose most of your air pressure, the tire will separate from the rim and you'll be stuck. Worst-case scenario, of course, is that you would lose control of the vehicle when this happens.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

CAZ681, who makes aftermarket wheels that conform to the EH2 specification?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Actually There are three options:

1. One set of wheels - two sets of tires: Changing summer and winter tires back and forth twice a year:

Pros

Lowest short-term cost.
Good solution if you're only planning on keeping the car for only a year or so.

Cons

More costly if keeping the car/tires/wheels for more than 2 or 3 years.
Possibility of damage to tires/wheels due to multiple mounting/dismounting sessions.

2. Complete set of mounted winter tires (and new wheels)

Pros
Lower or no cost of Spring/Fall changeovers
Best for tire/wheels
Unanimously voted as best situation by the highly informed, abnormally intelligent members of this Forum.

Cons
Costs more initially

3. New Winter wheels only

Pros
Costs less than tires AND wheels
Just as easy to change as tires/wheels
Lowers car for that "slammed look"

Cons

No traction on ice and snow
Little traction on dry pavement
Intolerable, hard ride
Very noisy
Limited "wheel life" (Aluminum wears fast when spun against pavement).
Illegal in most countries, but guaranteed to get you a lot of attention
Under option 3, can the toleration of the ride be increased by not using Sport mode with dynamic damping?

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0