BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
toneus
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40d SE (on order)

Access Package - Worth It?

Just placed an order for F25 X3 xDrive30d MSport with Prof Media, Visibility, Cold weather & Climate Comfort Packages.

Was quite happy with this, but the missus is suggesting we should have the Access Package. My viewpoint was that it was pointless, but now having reviewed the videos it does seem kind of cool, but at £705 maybe a coolness I can easily avoid.

Just thinking that if I go for this I'm only the electric seats from going fully loaded, so maybe I should bite the bullet and do this? But since it'll be me driving 99% of the time the electric seats seemed pointless especially at £970.

Has anybody any comments or experiences with either packages? Great / worthwhile / waste of money etc.....
      09-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Don't have the Access Package (I'm assuming you are talking about the keyless entry) and its probably the one thing I regret. We have the keyless entry on our second car (a C30) and are missing it on our X3. However I have noted comments elsewhere which make the point the keyless entry doesn't work on the rear doors - ie you have to activate the keyless unlock on the front doors before you can open the rear doors. Might be an issue if you regularly open the rear doors first to load stuff (and kids) in.

The electric seats I would never do without. Even if you are the only driver, there will still be occasions when your seat will be moved and then you will have a devil of a time getting the seat back to the position you were comfortable in. In others words, its not so much the electric seats, but rather the position memory that come with the electric seats. Priceless.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Yea, I would not get a car without electric seats also because it saves me from taking my eyes off the road.

So yea, it's a safety issue for me
      09-24-2012, 02:06 AM   #4
toneus
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the advice.
      09-24-2012, 02:06 AM   #5
plob
Private
Rep
Drives: 650i GC

I have the access package and could not do without it. I am able to have the tailgate open by the time I walk round to the back of the car; and then press a button on the inside of the tailgate to close it and lock the car as I walk away.
All this is done with the key in my pocket - effortless

Well worth it IMHO

Cheers
P
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 02:30 AM   #6
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35d M Sport

I never had such a thing on a previous car but ordered it for my present X3. I can say that it is truly a convenient package that I would not want to be without again.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 02:34 AM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Both are nice to have but no contest on which one is more useful if you have more than 1 driver (even if she doesn't get to go in it much!). Get the electric seats! One of the options that I'm most pleased I opted for. Like the idea of keyless entry but never had a need for the auto tailgate personally and would be concerned mrs sfax would open it into a roof somewhere

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Both are nice to have but no contest on which one is more useful if you have more than 1 driver (even if she doesn't get to go in it much!). Get the electric seats! One of the options that I'm most pleased I opted for. Like the idea of keyless entry but never had a need for the auto tailgate personally and would be concerned mrs sfax would open it into a roof somewhere

The automatic tailgate is very useful IMO. If you are concerned about it opening too high and bumping a garage ceiling, the height is adjustable via iDrive. In Europe, also, you also get the ability to close the tailgate via the remote, which we unfortunately don't get in the US.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
It's totally worth it. All you need is your hand to get into the car, and to do things. Don't need to find the keys
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon View Post
... In Europe, also, you also get the ability to close the tailgate via the remote, which we unfortunately don't get in the US.
Unless you want to do some coding.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #11
toneus
United Kingdom
Rep

Think I can stretch to adding the Access Package but the electric seats are stretching my budget somewhat. The problem with the X3 is the base price is very competitive but the options start making it an expensive car!

Maybe have to have a rethink - anybody any comments or suggestions on Variable Damper Control?
      09-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #12
JimmyTheHand
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneus View Post
Just thinking that if I go for this I'm only the electric seats from going fully loaded, so maybe I should bite the bullet and do this? But since it'll be me driving 99% of the time the electric seats seemed pointless especially at £970
I went for Electric seats and I am only driver of car - but I find the BMW manual seats a real pita to adjust (I wonder if deliberate by BMW), especially if I want a small tweak while driving as sometimes helps when back/knee playing up.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

The worth of options is wholly subjective and you'll find people that have options think they're wonderful and people that don't have them saying they don't need them. One example I would give to the contrary is that I didn't get the top-down camera and I wish I had

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #14
JimmyTheHand
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The worth of options is wholly subjective and you'll find people that have options think they're wonderful and people that don't have them saying they don't need them.
Options are designed to increase the profit margin.

I went through the options and most of them were very nice - but I kept asking myself were they necessary to me or worth the money. I managed to bring it down to a few that I felt I wouldn't want to be without and a couple that were wanted but could be without

Quote:
One example I would give to the contrary is that I didn't get the top-down camera and I wish I had
I wondered if I had made a mistake not getting that - but after three weeks, the dipping mirror helps me park it better than the E83 version I had so now I have stopped thinking about it
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
3Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

As others have said, selecting options is a subjective thing. I have comfort access, only because it came with the Premium package. While CA is certainly very convenient, it is a 'nice to have', not a 'have to have'. Never having to take the key out of your pocket is great, but reaching for the remote and pressing unlock only takes a second longer.

The only problem I've had is when I drive my wife's E46 -- I have to remember to take the key out of my pocket and use it to start the car!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #16
toneus
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheHand View Post
Options are designed to increase the profit margin.

I went through the options and most of them were very nice - but I kept asking myself were they necessary to me or worth the money. I managed to bring it down to a few that I felt I wouldn't want to be without and a couple that were wanted but could be without

I wondered if I had made a mistake not getting that - but after three weeks, the dipping mirror helps me park it better than the E83 version I had so now I have stopped thinking about it
Couldn't agree more (about profit margin), the bugbear for me is £2515 for the professional media, or you could downsize to the Business for only ~£300 less! Seems a very expensive option, but apparently seriously affects the resale if you don't have it. And then everything else is ~£1k-£1.5k on top of that.

If you're going to spend £40k on a car, then you expect it to have everything (at least I do), but when I add on everything it's a £50k car! The reason I'm asking opinions on the options.

Really appreciate the responses.
      09-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #17
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Comfort access is what it's called over here... And i love it.

Open all the windows and the sunroof from the fob, unlock all doors when touching one of the front doors and powered boot.

With coding I'll be able to close everything with the fob too.

The seats aren't a big deal... Set it and forget it.
      09-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #18
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

If price weren't really an issue, I would spec it... Opening the hatch isn't an issue but closing it can be a small challenge at times... I'm about 5 foot 10 so that may explain it...
      09-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #19
JimmyTheHand
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Comfort access is what it's called over here... And i love it.

Open all the windows and the sunroof from the fob,
I thought opening windows from fob was standard - it is on mine without comfort access (and it was on previous X3) - and I have used deliberately it all of 10 times in 5 years (UK weather for you and when you need you've forgotten about it) - judging by the times I have found the windows open, I have used it accidentally a few times
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #20
JimmyTheHand
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If you're going to spend £40k on a car, then you expect it to have everything (at least I do),
I think it was worse on the Q5 from the options list
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #21
JimmyTheHand
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
the bugbear for me is £2515 for the professional media, or you could downsize to the Business for only ~£300 less! Seems a very expensive option, but apparently seriously affects the resale if you don't have it.
The dealer said similar things about SatNav to me - the example he pulled was someone with a top end petrol X5 and no SatNav and how much less they were offered below book price - I am not convinced it was a valid comparisons though to a mid/lower end X3

If you loose less than £2.5K when you trade it because you don't have that option you have saved and 2.5K is a "serious" lot of resale value lost - i.e. does it loose as much as it costs (I find salesman's adding up can be less than accurate/honest)
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #22
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

After having the CA for my last 3 Bimmers (E92 335, E92 M3 and F25 X3), I am thinking of getting my next Bimmer w/o it. Now that you don't need to plug in your key (for non CA) to start the engine.
Appreciate 0