BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-12-2017, 09:16 PM   #1
Alien z0mb13
mmm...coffee, i mean brains
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive28i

Unhappy Xmas came early the X3 won't start (MFBMW)#005

Hello Fellow X3ers,

Since my last post back in April my X3 had the "4X4 (in an amber circle): Drive Moderately, Avoid Hard Braking" error. I ignored it the first time since on next startup i didn't have the issue. Long story short it happen more frequently took it to the local shop and they said the battery needed to be replaced $400 later i now have a new battery (YAY... FML).

Last week the X3 started having issues starting. Everything but the iDrive system would light up and you would hear the cranking noise but it wouldn't start. Somehow after a few attempts it would start. After the 3rd time it died on me i took it to the local shop. They kept the car for 3 days they luckily were able to reproduce the issue and they determined it was a fuel pump issue. Well not just the fuel pump the whole fuel System needed replacing. They are asking 1050 (w/tax). Is this a normal amount? Do the fuel pumps normally go bad after 70k?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 08:28 AM   #2
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

If you can get an entire fuel system for 1050 that is the bargain of the lifetime. Although, I highly doubt you need an entire fuel system. That is typically a diesel only problem due to failing in tank fuel pumps contaminating the entire system and typically costs over 10,000 dollars when it is all said and done. More than likely you just need the in tank fuel pump. As you have an N52 with port fuel injection it isn't as susceptible to this failure type. What are they saying is the failure? Also, aside from the diesels I haven't heard of an F25 in tank fuel pump failing. For the record, I have 87,000 miles on my N52 F25 and the original pump is fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #3
Alien z0mb13
mmm...coffee, i mean brains
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive28i

They are saying fuel pump needs replacing $416 and the fuel Module needs replacing $342 which must be ordered from BMW the rest is labor. They say they tested the fuel pump and it's not pumping enough fuel to start the vehicle and that module isn't sending the correct signal to the pump and the engine computer to start the car. That the module is showing the incorrect voltage. They also said this should fix the issue if not i will need a brand new CPU for the X3 and that will be over 3k...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #4
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien z0mb13 View Post
They are saying fuel pump needs replacing $416 and the fuel Module needs replacing $342 which must be ordered from BMW the rest is labor. They say they tested the fuel pump and it's not pumping enough fuel to start the vehicle and that module isn't sending the correct signal to the pump and the engine computer to start the car. That the module is showing the incorrect voltage. They also said this should fix the issue if not i will need a brand new CPU for the X3 and that will be over 3k...
Yikes, sorry to hear that. We have similar cars, I hope mine doesn't have a similar fate in it's future.
Appreciate 0