BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
Vero Munster
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2d

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Album Artwork Lost!

My Iphone 3GS was initially synced to my Windows ITunes Library and all the playlists an artwork worked brilliantly well on my car when connected with the white cable. I then bought a new Macbook pro and hence had a new Itunes library. I resynced my phone to the new library( with a lot more songs and artwork) but alas, all the artwork on the car when I connect with the white cable is gone. The songs work fine and if I disconnect the phone the artwork is displayed correctly on the phone itself. I tried to reload the library twice without success!! I also checked the songs in Itunes and it does seem if the artwork is embedded in the songs ID tag. Any advice and do I have to revert back to my old slower, smaller and windows based library?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Your new macbook pro came with a larger iTunes library? That confuses me. What do you mean re reloading the library? From what to what? PC to Mac? PC to iPhone? Mac to iPhone?

Absent any further info, if you have everything on the MacBook Pro or the cloud (iTunes content, emails, notes, address, calendar), I'd try wiping the iPhone and re-synching.

Used the same apple I'd with the new computer?
      08-29-2011, 12:52 AM   #3
Vero Munster
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
On my new Macbook the library is much better organized. I used Tune-up to retrieve all the artwork and remove the duplicates. I did wipe the iPhone ann reinstalled without any change. Still stuck on no artwork. Got a link to add a script to iTunes and will try this today. Will keep everyone updated
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 02:18 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

My experience is that it always works with iDrive if the artwork is embedded as an ID3 tag. If you think this is definitely the case then that's an unusual problem. It sounds to me that your new updated library hasn't embedded it but just referenced it in a way that iTunes understands - but you said you've checked the ID3 tag so that's not the case. There is a utility that embeds artwork as an ID3 tag by using artwork found in each album folder - may be worth running it on your library

http://www.dalepreston.com/Blog/2007...-pictures.html

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 05:00 AM   #5
Vero Munster
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
I tried so many things today and yesterday and synced and resynced(lost 10 pounds running to my car and back to check) but to no avail. I did pick up that there is a problem with Mac OS Lion and iTunes 10.4.1(most recent). It does embed artwork, but does not transfer that over to other devices. Currently there seems to be no solution, so fellow techies BEWARE that the OS upgrade doesn't affect your artwork. I am now resyncing back to my old Windows library. It isn't as complete as my new one, but at least it did show up on my Idrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 05:39 AM   #6
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vero Munster View Post
I tried so many things today and yesterday and synced and resynced(lost 10 pounds running to my car and back to check) but to no avail. I did pick up that there is a problem with Mac OS Lion and iTunes 10.4.1(most recent). It does embed artwork, but does not transfer that over to other devices. Currently there seems to be no solution, so fellow techies BEWARE that the OS upgrade doesn't affect your artwork. I am now resyncing back to my old Windows library. It isn't as complete as my new one, but at least it did show up on my Idrive.
Interesting. I'm using that combination and can confirm it works.

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 05:44 AM   #7
Vero Munster
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Resynced to Windows and the artwork is back! This is really mystifying!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 02:14 AM   #8
Vero Munster
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
I am really baffled again. Copied and pasted music from my Mac to an USB stick and used this in the armrest. All the artwork visible!!! Why this didn't happen when I used the iPhone is really weird. Much more difficult to manage songs from the stick without the option of the iTunes playlists or the genius feature.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Wouldn't surprise me if it is a software glitch on BMW's end. I have a nano I keep in the vehicle strickly for playing music. Sometimes it will let me scroll through songs using the "wheel" on the steering wheel, othertimes, only one song will show up on the dash display instead of the entire list and I can not scroll through them. If I plug in my Iphone 4, the list is always there for me to scroll through. On my loaner X3, after month of using the nano and I-phone 4, it stopped working for either of them. Service deparment said it is a glitch in the software and they have seen it happen with other series as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #10
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if it is a software glitch on BMW's end. I have a nano I keep in the vehicle strickly for playing music. Sometimes it will let me scroll through songs using the "wheel" on the steering wheel, othertimes, only one song will show up on the dash display instead of the entire list and I can not scroll through them. If I plug in my Iphone 4, the list is always there for me to scroll through. On my loaner X3, after month of using the nano and I-phone 4, it stopped working for either of them. Service deparment said it is a glitch in the software and they have seen it happen with other series as well.
Did they have a fix?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #11
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
Did they have a fix?
Nope
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Nope
Bummer
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 12:23 AM   #13
Vero Munster
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Update. There was definately a problem with Itunes 10.4 on the Mac. I upgraded my Itunes on the Mac to version 10.5. I also upgraded to iOS 5 on my iphone 3Gs and everything is working perfectly. It streams album name and artist with the bluetooth connection, shows all artwork when plugged into the Centre armrest, and even keeps my playlist in the same order when I use the scroll wheel on the steering wheel. Very happy now. Just a word of caution. I had to re-sync my phone twice to get all the songs working on the iphone. On the Mac Forums there seem to be a few complaints about this. After the initial re-install of the new OS, itunes doesn't seem to sync everything back to the iphone. Some titles in your library appear grey and do not play. This happened to about a third of my library. I had to uncheck sync music in iTunes, wipe the library on the iphone, and then re-check sync music. It copied all the songs perfectly this time.
Finally I am happy and content( until the next upgrade I think?)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #14
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vero Munster View Post
Update. There was definately a problem with Itunes 10.4 on the Mac. I upgraded my Itunes on the Mac to version 10.5. I also upgraded to iOS 5 on my iphone 3Gs and everything is working perfectly. It streams album name and artist with the bluetooth connection, shows all artwork when plugged into the Centre armrest, and even keeps my playlist in the same order when I use the scroll wheel on the steering wheel. Very happy now. Just a word of caution. I had to re-sync my phone twice to get all the songs working on the iphone. On the Mac Forums there seem to be a few complaints about this. After the initial re-install of the new OS, itunes doesn't seem to sync everything back to the iphone. Some titles in your library appear grey and do not play. This happened to about a third of my library. I had to uncheck sync music in iTunes, wipe the library on the iphone, and then re-check sync music. It copied all the songs perfectly this time.
Finally I am happy and content( until the next upgrade I think?)
Thanks for the info and the tip. I'm in the process of upgrading my iPhone 4 to iOS5 but I'm Windows not Mac so I'll see if I need to wipe and resynch

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0