BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
bairen
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 5.0

Options for occasional snow driving -- with the 19" wheels & pirellis

I have the 35i SAP with the 19" 309 style wheels... and I'm planning on going to Tahoe for Christmas. My fear is that snow chains might be needed -- and I'm reading that snow chains can't be used on this setup given the tight clearance between the tires and the car.

Anyone have any clever suggestions? Are there other forms of snow chains which might work?

I don't go up into the mountains very often -- so a set of winter wheels & tires would not be practical.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairen View Post
I have the 35i SAP with the 19" 309 style wheels... and I'm planning on going to Tahoe for Christmas. My fear is that snow chains might be needed -- and I'm reading that snow chains can't be used on this setup given the tight clearance between the tires and the car.

Anyone have any clever suggestions? Are there other forms of snow chains which might work?

I don't go up into the mountains very often -- so a set of winter wheels & tires would not be practical.
I doubt that chains will work......

If you won't buy snow/winter tires, consider renting a winter tire equipped vehicle for the trip. Just a thought.
      12-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I did see that post where BMW does not recommend chains on the 19's, but I don't see how those SCC snow cables DON'T fit (Super Z6). I'm guessing at most it's 1/2" more clearance needed. The gap between the tire and the wheel well / fender is huge. Even with the tire compressing I don't see it an issue. Am I missing something? I might need a pair of chains soon also =(

From their website:
"To be more precise, it requires only 6.3 mm (1/4") of operating space in the critical inside sidewall area of the tire (typical Class "S" products require 15mm)"

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 05:16 AM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Do not mount snow chains on tires of size 245/45 R 19; otherwise, the vehicle can become damaged.◀

Pg 213
      12-09-2011, 05:24 AM   #5
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Don't think you have much choice. Winter tires probably won't work well for you with the temps in the Bay Area. If you want RunFlats, there are LS2 All Season tires, but that's not really up to the level of Winter tires or chains and if I recall correctly also doesn't cut it if CHP is mandating chains. What I did for Winter here was an inexpensive set of 19" wheels with Winter tires. You could do similar with 18" and All Season tires and get a set of chains to go with those. There's some initial cash outlay for that, but then you have two sets of tire that will last twice as long as one set. "Lost" costs are the wheels themselves and then money/time associated with swapping -- unless you're able to do that yourself. Would make a great "jaunt to the Sierra in the snow" vehicle, though! (Of which I'm envious!!!)
      12-09-2011, 05:35 AM   #6
BahnRaider
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 (F25) 2.0D SE Auto

I have these.

Used them on an X1 to great effect, so I have some for my X3.

http://www.autosock.co.uk/