BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-05-2017, 07:59 PM   #23
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Where are the vanos solenoids on the N55 engine?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 08:19 PM   #24
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalx View Post
Any word from the stealership?
I took it to my indy shop...they said its not the transfer case, and they could not replicate what I described to them...but it is more noticeable when the engine is hot, they likely didnt drive it that much. So they cleared the codes, there were several from who knows when, and told me to come back when the check engine light comes on again.

So much fun...thinking if the vanos solenoid trick doesnt work, maybe its time for transmission fluid and filter change? I doubt it was done by the PO, over 97k miles on it now.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 01:29 PM   #25
Grumpyphil
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M Sport

Garage List
2015 BMW x3 M3  [0.00]
I started about 2 months ago, with hesitating acceleration like a misfire or fuel dirt (in old carburetter speak) only lower revs and moderate to full throttle, especially up hills. Also more noticeable in eco than comfort or sport modes. Only 27k a 2015 model. Tyres all evenly worn similar tread depths. Service always due a month ago so asked dealer to investigate. Said it needed new EGR valve (have had EGR replacement under recall in January -another story). Cost £200. Didn’t cure it. Just had it back to dealer, no warnings or faults showing. Now suggesting oil change for Transfer box, £100. If that doesn’t cure it BMW will replace transfer box under warranty. Any advice? Is this going to fix it? Is it just me or is it a common problem? Have seem some posts about similar but older higher mileage xdrive BMs.

Last edited by Grumpyphil; 10-31-2019 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: Spelling mistake predictive
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 02:02 PM   #26
Harroldv
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyphil View Post
I started about 2 months ago, with hesitating acceleration like a misfire or fuel dirt (in old carburetter speak) only lower revs and moderate to full throttle, especially up hills. Also more noticeable in eco than comfort or sport modes. Only 27k a 2015 model. Tyres all evenly worn similar tread depths. Service always due a month ago so asked dealer to investigate. Said it needed new EGR valve (have had EGR replacement under recall in January -another story). Cost £200. Didn't cure it. Just had it back to dealer, no warnings or faults showing. Now suggesting oil change for Transfer box, £100. If that doesn't cure it BMW will replace transfer box under warranty. Any advice? Is this going to fix it? Is it just me or is it a common problem? Have seem some posts about similar but older higher mileage xdrive BMs.
I had the same issue with my X3 35d (07/2016) and have around 100k km. It was jerky when accelerating from a stop and then it was ok but didn't feel ok.

First I went to a dealer and they said it was coming from the tyres (I had replaced all 4 tyres a month before and they were Pirelli P Zero non rft instead of rft) so I went back to the tyre shop and they couldn't find or say anything to this issue. They guy at the counter used to work for BMW and advised me to see another dealer for a second opinion.

The other dealer said it was the transfer box and they changed it under warranty.

Now accelerations are silky smooth again and the car no longer has a jerky acceleration issue.

Car drives like new again!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 08:31 PM   #27
SlickShift
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW E90 M3 ZCP, '21 X5 ZMP

I had jerky acceleration on my X4 35i and they replaced the transfer case under warranty at 33K miles. 100x smoother now.
Retired: '00 323i, '06 325Ci, '09 135i, '06 Z4M Roadster, '93 525i, '76 2002, '14 X1, '14 M235i, '16 X4, '16 435i
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 02:29 AM   #28
AM Jahan
Rep
Drives: X3, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by smovva View Post
Got the car back and they updated the software to fix issues #1 and #2 and adjusted exhaust heat shield to get rid of rattle in undercarriage.

In addition for the jerky acceleration they found the "VTG Motor" on the transfer case had failed and replaced it (though service order refers to it in parts replaced as "Longitudinal Torque Module").

Car runs great now! Here is the info below from the service order:

Diagnosis:
VTG Motor Failure. ISID Scan found fault 440108. Ran test AT2710-SELBT01 Diag Code D2710-VTG00000-90-002 Replace VTG motor and program vehicle.

Parts replaced:
1 Qty 27-60-7-649-785 Longitudinal Torque Module
2 Qty 27-10-7-593-450 ASA-Bolt
1 Qty 27-10-7-593-451 O-Ring
1 Qty 27-10-7-593-452 Shaft Seal
Hi, and thanks for sharing your experience.
So, your VTG module was defected as well. Had you got any trouble codes in iDrive regarding VTG failure? Did your dealer scan your car at the beginning and practically found the VTGE trouble code? Or it was a hidden trouble code that need some special tool to detect?
I may conclude that the VTG (which is an electrical motor and should be monitored by DME/TCS) can be failed without throwing any trouble codein the iDrive!! Is that true?
Appreciate 0