BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 2019 X5

Please help me understand transfer case and relation to jerky acceleration?

Took my 2011 X3 (Build date 05/2011) with 20K miles into service this week as the car has a couple of problems:

1. Very jerky acceleration. My loaner 2013 X3 is silky smooth by comparison.
2. A few times a week when coasting to a stop or turning, car would drop RPM's like its misfiring and almost stall.
3. Rattling noise from undercarriage. Sounds like heat shield or something rattling in exhaust. My loaner 2013 X3 has no such noise at all.

For #1 & #2 I assumed they would update software like they did last year in May 2012 and all would be well. For #3 I assumed they would tighten some heat shield or exhaust components and all would be well.

SA called me now to say the jerkiness is due to a bad transfer case they are replacing under warranty next week after part arrives.

I am curious if you have heard of a transfer case causing jerky acceleration or perhaps even being responsible for the other symptoms #2 and #3 as well. The SA did not indicate what they found to be the issue with #2 or #3 yet so I am hoping this replacement may fix the other issues as well. BTW, what exactly does the "Transfer Case" do?

Thanks for any insights!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishmovva View Post
Took my 2011 X3 (Build date 05/2011) with 20K miles into service this week as the car has a couple of problems:

1. Very jerky acceleration. My loaner 2013 X3 is silky smooth by comparison.
2. A few times a week when coasting to a stop or turning, car would drop RPM's like its misfiring and almost stall.
3. Rattling noise from undercarriage. Sounds like heat shield or something rattling in exhaust. My loaner 2013 X3 has no such noise at all.

For #1 & #2 I assumed they would update software like they did last year in May 2012 and all would be well. For #3 I assumed they would tighten some heat shield or exhaust components and all would be well.

SA called me now to say the jerkiness is due to a bad transfer case they are replacing under warranty next week after part arrives.

I am curious if you have heard of a transfer case causing jerky acceleration or perhaps even being responsible for the other symptoms #2 and #3 as well. The SA did not indicate what they found to be the issue with #2 or #3 yet so I am hoping this replacement may fix the other issues as well. BTW, what exactly does the "Transfer Case" do?

Thanks for any insights!
1. I had a similar issue, however mine was addressed with a software update and the issue hasn't returned

2. I never experienced this one, however I seem to recall a TSB for this, could be wrong). Check automd dotcom and look under TSB, then your specific vehicle

3. This is (or was for me) a TSB. Again, either search this site (I'm pretty sure I posted the TSB #) or check automd dotcom.

My car: build Feb/11, 28i X3.

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
1. I had a similar issue, however mine was addressed with a software update and the issue hasn't returned

2. I never experienced this one, however I seem to recall a TSB for this, could be wrong). Check automd dotcom and look under TSB, then your specific vehicle

3. This is (or was for me) a TSB. Again, either search this site (I'm pretty sure I posted the TSB #) or check automd dotcom.

My car: build Feb/11, 28i X3.

Dave
Thank you I found your response very helpful.

I found a thread here that says a newer software update in November cures the jerky acceleration issue. Curious why the SA thinks its a transfer case issue and not the software update.

Thanks re: #2, I found the TSB and from threads here and elsewhere the latest software update is supposed to fix #1 and #2.

Re: #3, I looked all over automd.com for a TSB for the rattling in the undercarriage and did not find any. If you can find TSB again again, please post link. Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Sure, no problem. Here's the link....roughly 9 posts down. No TSB number but i did provide the part numbers that were replaced. Basically a couple of clips.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572578

Hope that helps. Once these clips were installed, car was dead quiet.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Sure, no problem. Here's the link....roughly 9 posts down. No TSB number but i did provide the part numbers that were replaced. Basically a couple of clips.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572578

Hope that helps. Once these clips were installed, car was dead quiet.

Dave
Thank you! Much appreciated! I will post details from my invoice when I get my car back this week so others can se what they found and fixed.

Satish
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Good luck! I'm sure those things will address your issues/concerns. Let us know.
Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #7
Ranger 6
Yorkshireman trapped in a Berkshire postcode
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M-Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW X3  [0.00]
The E83 is very sensitive to transfer box issues so I'm interested to see this happen on the F25 as well. For the E83 it's usually tyre related - i.e. different makes/size/wear
      04-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger 6 View Post
The E83 is very sensitive to transfer box issues so I'm interested to see this happen on the F25 as well. For the E83 it's usually tyre related - i.e. different makes/size/wear
Mine is all stock and the "bucking bronco" behavior was there from day 1; it was a little less pronounced after the first software update in May 2012. I am due to get it back tomorrow and I will post what services were performed and part numbers of any replaced parts.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
02420X361.50
      04-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger 6 View Post
Got the car back and they updated the software to fix issues #1 and #2 and adjusted exhaust heat shield to get rid of rattle in undercarriage.

In addition for the jerky acceleration they found the "VTG Motor" on the transfer case had failed and replaced it (though service order refers to it in parts replaced as "Longitudinal Torque Module").

Car runs great now! Here is the info below from the service order:

Diagnosis:
VTG Motor Failure. ISID Scan found fault 440108. Ran test AT2710-SELBT01 Diag Code D2710-VTG00000-90-002 Replace VTG motor and program vehicle.

Parts replaced:
1 Qty 27-60-7-649-785 Longitudinal Torque Module
2 Qty 27-10-7-593-450 ASA-Bolt
1 Qty 27-10-7-593-451 O-Ring
1 Qty 27-10-7-593-452 Shaft Seal
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Great news satishmovva... nothing like trouble free warranty work.
      07-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #11
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Great news satishmovva... nothing like trouble free warranty work.
Spoke too soon it seems re: my 2011 X3 3.5. Driving down expressway at 75 Mph on Wednesday and accelerate to pass a slow driver; loud thunk noise and engine RPM's zoom up to hit 6000. Get off expressway at next exit coasting with no further throttle inputs. If I give throttle car rpms rise but no apparent effect on car forward motion though tranny shows in drive.

At stop light flick tranny to neutral and rev car and engine is its usual sweet self. on green start driving away and car bucking like a bronco again and drivetrain something message flashes and goes off while check engine light comes on. Cant accelerate past 25-30 as engine RPM's hit > 6000 but car does not move correspondingly.

Left it at home overnight for July 4th holiday and drive it in to dealer on Friday. Car much better but check engine light still on. It lets me speed up to 45 mph or so before revs hit 6000; some bucking and engine misfiring now as well.

Dealer looks at car late Friday and said 3 different codes logged but first code is for MAF failure (didn't mention what the other two were other than they were related to powertrain errors); they ordered a replacement MAF (not in stock locally) and once that is in will diagnose the other two codes later next week as they could be cascaded erors (my terminology). The initial error message I saw was powertrain or drivetrain something but it did not stay on long enough and I was busy with other aspects of getting through an intersection to pay attention.

Curious if a MAF sensor can cause all this havoc. Any thoughts?

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

MAF should only impact the operation of the engine as it determines how much air is entering the engine. I can see the engine going into limp mode but it's hard to believe the MAF could cause the other problems noted.
      07-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

satishmovva, I agree with lbjgh, MAF might have cause the CEL and the misfiring, but the high rpm with no acceleration is pretty worrisome. It almost seems like the tranny is slipping, not shifting or there is a software or hardware issue with transmission module. It will be interesting to see what the dealer find with your car. Keep us posted please and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
satishmovva, I agree with lbjgh, MAF might have cause the CEL and the misfiring, but the high rpm with no acceleration is pretty worrisome. It almost seems like the tranny is slipping, not shifting or there is a software or hardware issue with transmission module. It will be interesting to see what the dealer find with your car. Keep us posted please and good luck.
I agree. The high rev with no forward movement seems to indicate a powertrain issue (torque converter, transfer case or tranny control unit). Given that the last time car was in shop a couple of months ago, work was done on the transfer case (VTG motor replacement), my suspicion is that there is some problem with the transfer case that was overlooked.

I will know more next week and once I get my car back will post the exact diagnosis, part numbers replaced and tech explanations of findings.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #15
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
MAF should only impact the operation of the engine as it determines how much air is entering the engine. I can see the engine going into limp mode but it's hard to believe the MAF could cause the other problems noted.
That is exactly what I thought as well but a quick check on google with MAF failure transmission as keywords came up with a bunch of links suggesting that in the more sophisticated vehicle electronics of today that there is direct link between Tranny problems and MAF failures... Here are three for example:

See section halfway on MAF operation:
http://mdhmotors.com/mass-air-flow-s...4-system-lean/

http://www.samscars.com/gf87.html

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/42...ion-clunk.html

Last edited by smovva; 07-07-2013 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #16
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
SA called to say replacement MAF arrived and it didn't fix the problem, but now they found a large hole in the air flow tube the MAF sits in which is letting unmetered air. That part however is backordered until end of August from Germany. So a loaner 2013 X3 3.5 for me till then... I will update this post when I get the car back on what was actually fixed.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #17
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishmovva View Post
SA called to say replacement MAF arrived and it didn't fix the problem, but now they found a large hole in the air flow tube the MAF sits in which is letting unmetered air. That part however is backordered until end of August from Germany. So a loaner 2013 X3 3.5 for me till then... I will update this post when I get the car back on what was actually fixed.
Got my car back! The part that broke was the Charge Air Induction Tract P/N 13-71-7-604-033. The part is labelled #18 in the attached image. The part is back ordered worldwide but I lucked out as a customer abandoned their 4 month old order in Oklahoma and I was able to get it. BTW, thanks to the kind gentleman from World Impex (http://www.worldimpex.com/) who I had called to try and track this part and he found it at Jackie Cooper in Oklahoma by searching the computerized inventory systems and giving me a contact name there to try and sweet-talk into letting me purchase it. I bought the part with my own money so the dealer and BMW are figuring out how to reimburse me; part cost less than $300 shipped.

I was also able to find inventory in Denmark and Czech Republic (both at the SCHMIEDMANN offices) but none elsewhere in Europe or middle east. They ship to the US at reasonable cost so maybe a good venue in the future to source parts direct from Europe.

Any case dealer replaced the part in less than an hour and car is good as new! Apparently unmetered air entering the engine causes all kinds of other faults in the car including power train errors as the ECU tries to compensate and make sense of what is happening. So all is well that ends well!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 08:58 PM   #18
ZeroTwitch
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Performance

Found this thread after researching my current issue. Just thought I'd share my recent experience with jerky engine/transmission. In case someone has a similar car and similar issues. There's not a lot of info on the web about this particular issue.

Last couple weeks my car '14 335i (manual) started acting up. Took to the dealer, they replaced plug and coil and thought it was engine miss firing. Got the car back, and car continued to do same, so I took it back again. This time they said it was the transfer case and will replace. Its faulty and they are replacing it now. Its all is under warranty, so no cost to me thankfully. Glad to get this sorted before it expires.

My 2010 Acura TL awd, car had its Torque converter replaced at 60k, so second time this has happened to me. Wasn't expecting it on the bimmer... Just thought I'd share...
      09-26-2017, 09:58 PM   #19
capitalx
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 E70

2011 X5 with 55k miles. I've been noticing what appears to be misfire/hesitation upon acceleration. Getting worse over time and more noticeable when vehicle cold. (250 miles since felt and now) Felt exactly what you would expect with bad coil pack or plug. (no codes) Replaced them all and no change. I was convinced it was the Valvetronic motor or system causing misfire and prepared to spend 1,100 at indi BMW shop. Only noticed symptom when the x5 was warm. They could not find it (but testing while cold) After warm-up they felt the mis. I get a call the next day to say it was the driveshaft and was an outstanding recall and i owed them 415 for diagnosis. I didn't believe them and thought they couldn't find issue and was sending to dealership, using driveshaft recall as excuse. Same day, Friday I drove to the shop had them remove the front drive shaft again, so i could test run before i paid. Ran like a dream, absolutely no or hesitation. Ran it without front shaft over the weekend was perfect. Appt at BMW was Monday and picked up today. The x5 seems to shutter just as it did when i first noticed the issue. 250 miles ago. I wish i took photo of old shaft, it looked brand new. WHAT IS GOING ON? Must be transfer case and I'm wondering if the worm gear on the actuator could cause the slipping. I only have 1 ghost code relating to vtg- D36A its not currently triggered
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 07:56 AM   #20
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
I am unfortunately experiencing a similar issue with my 2011 X3 35i, it goes to the shop on Friday. I hope its not the transfer case...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 05:40 PM   #21
capitalx
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
I am unfortunately experiencing a similar issue with my 2011 X3 35i, it goes to the shop on Friday. I hope its not the transfer case...
Any word from the stealership?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 12:17 AM   #22
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
I had a hesitation when taking off from a start that seemed to get worse over time. This past weekend I pulled both vanos solenoids, cleaned them thoroughly then swapped them. I didn't expect much from this but got in the habit of doing it on my Z after reading a few posts. Imagine my surprise when the hesitation was completely gone. I would have bet money on a drivetrain issue being the cause, but sure enough after about 150 miles and several days it's still completely smooth.