BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #1
Deep Ocean Blue
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 xDrive28i

Oil filter wrench

OK, I did a search and found nothing.
For those doing their own oil service what have you found to be the best filter wrench for a N20 four cylinder engine, where did you get it, and what was the price.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 09:34 PM   #2
PDM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 240i 6 Speed

This is what I use for my x3 35i for oil changes. I believe the oil filter cap is the same size on your engine. Just put this on the filter cap (don't jam it on, it doesn't need to be super smashed down to get a good grip) and attach a 3/8" ratchet and you're all set! To tighten it back down, if you don't have a torque wrench, just tighten it back down to where the green lines match up on the filter cap and the filter housing.

https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-A26.../dp/B002INSTHI

I've also used really big channellocks in the past on my old BMWs with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 11:30 AM   #3
Deep Ocean Blue
Rep

PDM5,

Thanks, I believe my cap is the same, 86mm - 16 flute.

Did a Google search and seen some that go up above $30.00 for cast aluminum billet.

Noticed some comments at the web site say the spot welds let go after one or two uses. How long have you used yours?

Looking for a cap wrench that does the job without making it hard to separate the wrench from the cap, or fits to loosely, and is reasonably priced.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 09:05 PM   #4
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

http://www.burgertuning.com/billet_b...tall_tool.html

Fits perfectly and it's a single piece of solid billet aluminum so I don't see how it could break unless you start hitting it with a sledgehammer for no reason.

Really didn't want to pay for shipping but eventually but the bullet.
      09-30-2017, 08:58 AM   #5
Merlin82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 Xdrive35i

Speaking of oil change, i was curious if anyone has this piece. Looks like a nice piece and would get rid of needing a special tool to change the filter.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...003296ecs01~a/
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 11:40 AM   #6
PDM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 240i 6 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Ocean Blue View Post
PDM5,

Thanks, I believe my cap is the same, 86mm - 16 flute.

Did a Google search and seen some that go up above $30.00 for cast aluminum billet.

Noticed some comments at the web site say the spot welds let go after one or two uses. How long have you used yours?

Looking for a cap wrench that does the job without making it hard to separate the wrench from the cap, or fits to loosely, and is reasonably priced.
I've used it a couple of times with no issues, but honestly can't say how it will hold up long term. I've not had any issues separating the wrench from the cap, but I will probably pick up the billet one sooner or later.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #7
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

I use the same Burger Tuning tool posted by dreamspeed on my 335is and my X3, no issues. Works perfect and is high quality. The Amazon one is probably made out of sheet metal, but I think it does the job well. Not sure how sturdy the square for the socket wrench is though (multiple uses, tightening torque - which isn't high: 25 N-m, but after multiple uses it might start shearing).
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 12:42 PM   #8
Deep Ocean Blue
Rep

Merlin82,

last night I checked actual size of oil cap flute-to-flute using my digital caliper set to mm range (I am an Engineer and anal about these things) and at the top, measures 86mm and at the bottom, measures 86.4mm.

I can see the Burger Tuning wrench will be a perfect fit.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 01:14 PM   #9
Deep Ocean Blue
Rep

dreamspeed,

Looks like all the better quality cap wrenches are priced around the 16-19.00 dollar range.

Placed my order for the Burger Tuning cap wrench today and should last as long as I own my X3.

Thanks again for directing me in the right direction:
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 10:41 PM   #10
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
dreamspeed,

Looks like all the better quality cap wrenches are priced around the 16-19.00 dollar range.

Placed my order for the Burger Tuning cap wrench today and should last as long as I own my X3.

Thanks again for directing me in the right direction:
Your welcome, i'm a bit late as you already ordered but here are 2 more things that I bought from Burger tuning that are useful

http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_jack_pad_adapter.html
http://www.burgertuning.com/N54_BMW_...t_adapter.html

I should have bought all three items at the same time to save on shipping but stupid me I ended up buying them all separate (over the course of a year) and paid shipping 3 times!

Got use to free shipping with Amazon prime so i really don't like to pay for shipping nowadays
      10-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #11
Deep Ocean Blue
Rep

dreamspeed,

I picked-up two jack pads a few weeks ago but, did not see the sparkplug socket. Thanks again! Guess I will pick-up one. By-the-way, Burger Tuning have very fast shipping as it took two days after ordering the filter cap wrench.

My last auto, a VW TDI (Turbo Diesel Induction) engine, at 100,000 miles, I had to remove the engine air intake and clean-out a lot of gunk/carbon build-up inside due to a tiny amount of engine oil that flows out the PVC valve piping and down the air flow path. Not a easy maintenance to do. Many VW diesel owners made their own PVC oil ketch can out of plastic and rubber piping, and I see Burger Tuning has a excellent aluminum machined oil ketch can.

Was wondering if this is a problem with BMW turbo gas engines?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #12
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
dreamspeed,

I picked-up two jack pads a few weeks ago but, did not see the sparkplug socket. Thanks again! Guess I will pick-up one. By-the-way, Burger Tuning have very fast shipping as it took two days after ordering the filter cap wrench.

My last auto, a VW TDI (Turbo Diesel Induction) engine, at 100,000 miles, I had to remove the engine air intake and clean-out a lot of gunk/carbon build-up inside due to a tiny amount of engine oil that flows out the PVC valve piping and down the air flow path. Not a easy maintenance to do. Many VW diesel owners made their own PVC oil ketch can out of plastic and rubber piping, and I see Burger Tuning has a excellent aluminum machined oil ketch can.

Was wondering if this is a problem with BMW turbo gas engines?
I'm kind of 50/50 on whether or not a catch can would be helpful on our cars. Search for carbon build up N55 engine and come to your own conclusions i guess.