BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Thumbs up iPad Snugg Solution

I have just picked up a new iPad and with it a Snugg case and a Snugg headrest mount

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ls_o01_s01_i00

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ls_o01_s01_i01

Very impressed so far although I've only tried it once today. The Snugg stitching and colour even matches the seats! - not seen them in the cold light of day just yet though.

The other thing I like is that it's a case within a case and it's very easy to put the headrest on the seat back (velcro strap) and easy to take the iPad (still in its Snugg case) in and out of the headrest mount - so no messing around with switching cases

The new retina display on the latest gen iPads is awesome. Was using a Samsung Galaxy Tab recently and there is such a huge improvement - no contest

Word of warning that you need a 10W USB car charger, lesser USB car chargers will not charge the iPad. No chance of BMW USB having enough power either I'm afraid. This one definitely works with 4th gen iPads:

PowerGen Power-U Dual USB 2A 10W (fast) Heavy Duty Ouput Car Charger

Have taken some pics but they're all in the dark quickies on the iPhone so not great
Attached Images

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers

Last edited by sfax; 11-15-2012 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: added link
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Very nice install. I can't justify 2 tablets for very occasional use.

I did a 'custom' install.. well more of a lash up last year by using only one android 10" tablet. I got a generic tablet holder from cpc.co.uk, then built an extension arm onto it. This extenstion arm was tie wrapped onto the headrest posts and so positioned so that the tablet was right in the middle of the two front seat. Then attached a headphone splitter cable, and voila a rear seat entertainment system, so you can watch the same film OR use Freenav to follow where you are going.

Lash gear up is now in the garage but will be out in the X3 for the January France ski trip drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Very nice install. I can't justify 2 tablets for very occasional use.

I did a 'custom' install.. well more of a lash up last year by using only one android 10" tablet. I got a generic tablet holder from cpc.co.uk, then built an extension arm onto it. This extenstion arm was tie wrapped onto the headrest posts and so positioned so that the tablet was right in the middle of the two front seat. Then attached a headphone splitter cable, and voila a rear seat entertainment system, so you can watch the same film OR use Freenav to follow where you are going.

Lash gear up is now in the garage but will be out in the X3 for the January France ski trip drive.
There's only 1 - Too many photos! Funny though that even with two, and the mounts, it would still be cheaper than the BMW DVD rear package (and much better IMO)

It's only for very occasional use although will use the iPad at home too. I wanted something that you could easily take in and out of the car quickly rather than something permanently stuck to the back of the seat. Like you, I have ski trips in mind, and the odd trip to Wales where entertainment beyond I Spy might be needed...

I should mention that you can get the same Snugg combination for Android tablets

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0