BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-04-2018, 11:53 AM   #1
wolf25
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive20d F25

RDC replacement

Hello,

One of my winter tires leaks slowly.

First the TPMS was giving a fault message, that it cannot measure the pressure on any of the tires. Later I realized that one of the tires is losing pressure (a couple of PSIs every 2-3 days). I suspect the RDC sensor on that tire. I will try to check it with soapy water. It cannot be the TPMS because this works well with the set of summer tires.

Before doing any further troubleshooting and repair I would like help in the following:
1. Why the TPMS cannot display the pressure on any of the tires if only one RDC sensor is faulty?
2. Can I replace the RDC sensor on one of the wheels?
3. If yes, what should I do to reprogramme the TPMS module?

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 12:38 PM   #2
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

1. I think it depends on the year, model, and destination country of the car. Some versions allow you to see the actual PSI measured by tire whereas others just tell you that the tires are low and leave it to you to figure out which (unfortunately, mine is such a version). I originally thought I had a failure of the main RDC module/antenna that is located by the rear passenger side tire but an indy shop determined that one of the TPMS sensors had low battery. Replacing the sensor made the fault go away.
2. Nope. AFAIK, the tire needs to come off the wheel in order to replace the TPMS sensor in the wheel. On the other hand, the RDC Module is trivially easy to replace but it needs to be coded (see #3).
3. Not sure that the individual TPMS sensors need any coding to the car. I think all you need to do is reset your TPMS readings once the new sensor is in. However, if you need to replace the RDC Module, then yes, you MUST code the new RDC module to the car or it will immediately tell you TPMS Malfunction when you start the vehicle. I believe the only exception would be if you are able to locate the exact same RDC Module part number with the same date code stamped on it.
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      11-11-2018, 03:32 AM   #3
wolf25
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive20d F25

Thank you very much.

With the set of summer tires I have the system works well. Therefore, I think, the problem is with the sensor on the wheel.

First I will try to fix the leak. If it turns out that the leak is not because of the sensor, and it can be fixed without replacing the tire, I will not bother replacing the sensor. I will have to replace all four tires for next season anyhow. Otherwise, I will buy one sensor, install it (or get it installed).

I will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0