BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Ipod Music issue

I have an Ipod Nano that I keep hooked up in X strictly for music as I don't want to keep taking my Iphone in and out of the car. The first X3 I had as a loaner for 2 months worked great with the nano for 4 weeks. After that, it would reconize the Ipod, but wouldn't play any music from it. It would just sit there without sound. You could move from song to song, but no sound. My Iphone would work, but not the nano. Dealer said it was a software glitch and they couldn't fix it. Since it was a loaner, I didn't push the issue. Fast forward to the second X3 which I have owned for 6 months. Nano has worked flawlessly with it until this past week. It is now doing the same thing the first X3 did. It reconizes it, but won't play any music. Why after 6 months of working perfectly would it just stop now? I haven't updated it or even had it out of the vehicle recently. Now that it isn't working, I tried the latest ITunes software....no help. Tried going back to an older version of software. Nothing. WTF?? Anybody else have this happen?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
I have an Ipod Nano that I keep hooked up in X strictly for music as I don't want to keep taking my Iphone in and out of the car. The first X3 I had as a loaner for 2 months worked great with the nano for 4 weeks. After that, it would reconize the Ipod, but wouldn't play any music from it. It would just sit there without sound. You could move from song to song, but no sound. My Iphone would work, but not the nano. Dealer said it was a software glitch and they couldn't fix it. Since it was a loaner, I didn't push the issue. Fast forward to the second X3 which I have owned for 6 months. Nano has worked flawlessly with it until this past week. It is now doing the same thing the first X3 did. It reconizes it, but won't play any music. Why after 6 months of working perfectly would it just stop now? I haven't updated it or even had it out of the vehicle recently. Now that it isn't working, I tried the latest ITunes software....no help. Tried going back to an older version of software. Nothing. WTF?? Anybody else have this happen?
My 28i can connect to my 3rd generation iPod Nano and the sound level of the iPod is so weak that even after I dialed to the maximum sound output on both the iPod and the car's audio unit, I can barely hear the music..... I don't have this problem with my iPod touch and my wife's iPhone 3Gs.....
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Ditch the iPods! Funny you should write this today, as I was playing the same music on both an ipod classic and a thumb drive. The thumb drive was much clearer. I'm guessing that the ipod is using it's own D/A converter( Apple has not authorized that many companies to tap the digital out), whereas the thumb drive is using the outboard X3 D/A.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
YOYO1111
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

It's horrible. Happend to me too. Every ipod situation with this car that people have complained out, it's happend to me. My latest is that I got the new iPhone 4S. I've never had an iPhone. So now I don't get my text messages nor is there the message option under office. It completely dissappeared once I connected it to the car. As for my iTouch, I took it out of the car for the first time since I bought the car(August). Connected it to iTunes. Did some updates and seemed fine. Once I connected it back to the car, it read "Jorge's iPod", which it never did before. So I thought, "cool". Well, never again has it showed up. For example, I turn off the car with a song playing. I come back to the car several hours later, turn it on and the same song is playing but the screen says it's playing a different song! WTF! Why is this so complicated?
Appreciate 0