BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
NYCX3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

Skidpad (g) Question

Can someone please explain about g force? for example, the 2013 X3 28i registered a 0.83(g) and a 2006 BMW 30i registered a 0.88(g) on the skidpad, which one has the better handling? I would think the newer X3, but then again, I drove both, and the 2006 had better handling from my experience. Maybe the 2013 X3 lags behind because of the negative camber was reduced and the hard walled run flats were added, which certainly affects grip. So does a higher (g) rating = better handling, making the 2006 X3 the winner on the skidpad?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

The g value refers to lateral acceleration experienced. You can look at it as lateral acceleration of the car one direction, or experienced by an occupant in the opposite direction. Higher g rating means a car can attain a sharper, faster turn without loosing contact or control. "Better handling" is a subjective thing depending on what you're looking for -- that could be the direction of race car performance or the direction of Rolls Royce luxury. If you're wondering if a lower g value means accomplishing the same turn or route while experiencing less lateral acceleration by the occupant, it does not to my understanding of the tests.
      02-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
dbpe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

And the bane of any of these tests is the tire used. Run the same car with summers, all seasons and winters and you'll get three very different numbers. I'd guess that the ones in more recent years will be worse since the tire's rolling resistance 's are going down (with it's road holding ability) so the fleet can make its milage targets. Just look at the X3 braking - then try it with summer performance tires.
      02-19-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
NYCX3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpe View Post
And the bane of any of these tests is the tire used. Run the same car with summers, all seasons and winters and you'll get three very different numbers. I'd guess that the ones in more recent years will be worse since the tire's rolling resistance 's are going down (with it's road holding ability) so the fleet can make its milage targets. Just look at the X3 braking - then try it with summer performance tires.
Thank you. I definitely Agree with your input on this. X3 With the RunFlats has definitely taken a noticeable hit on handling. I think that the lower negative camber (the lower angle of the rear tire stance, which used to be like this: / \ is not looking more like | | is also a factor.

Im going to replace the GoodYear RFT's which, scored a 6.1 with 44 customers reviews, with the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT, which got a 8.5 from 33 customers. Although they're both RFT, the bridgestone seems to be a much better RFT. I know I should get regular tires all together to experience the best handling, but I already had an experience with a flat, and It's not worth the hassle IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #5
NYCX3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
The g value refers to lateral acceleration experienced. You can look at it as lateral acceleration of the car one direction, or experienced by an occupant in the opposite direction. Higher g rating means a car can attain a sharper, faster turn without loosing contact or control. "Better handling" is a subjective thing depending on what you're looking for -- that could be the direction of race car performance or the direction of Rolls Royce luxury. If you're wondering if a lower g value means accomplishing the same turn or route while experiencing less lateral acceleration by the occupant, it does not to my understanding of the tests.
Thank you, yes, I thought it was this way too. The newer X3 has gone "mainstream", so want something done right, gotta do it yourself. Gonna look into adjusting the Neg. Camber more to the 2006 specs, you think this would make a difference without messing up the vehicle's function?
Appreciate 0