BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #23
mhrir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
I consider it an anomaly because, first, it's certainly not an expected or "normal" behavior, and secondly, for those impatient drivers who put their auto transmission cars (all US models) in gear 50 ms after the engine starts, the high-speed "racing" could result in some quite unexpected acceleration of the vehicle.

Considering the problems Toyota recently has had and those of Audi (years ago) for bad press from "unintended acceleration" that never really existed (all cases were finally identified as driver error). BMW might want to address this "issue" before some greedy lawyer finds out about it.

It's not something that I find is a problem, since I can wait the 20 seconds it takes to settle down, but there are those who expect their car to be fully functional withing 1 second of start up. Witness the "race" to be first out of most commuter parking lots 15 seconds after the 5:29 arrives.
How can there be unintended acceleration when the brake pedal has to be pressed when shifting from park?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #24
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrir View Post
How can there be unintended acceleration when the brake pedal has to be pressed when shifting from park?
Because the unwanted revving continues when the vehicle is put in drive and the brake is released, without one's foot anywhere near the accelerator pedal.

If you release the brake the vehicle takes off much faster than the normal "creep" speed that one expects when the engine is idling properly at 600 rpm. I would hate to have to get out of a tight parking space with the engine pulsing from 600 to 1600 rpm every second or so, totally out of my control.

Also, dropping it into gear with the engine hitting 1500-1600 rpm puts a very high shock load on the transmission and the rest of the driveline and certainly is not doing the vehicle any good.

Mine continues to often do it for 20 seconds after starting without the A/C compressor running and always when the A/C is on.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #25
buckeyebill
Rep
Drives: Honda Pilot

Quote:
Because the unwanted revving continues when the vehicle is put in drive and the brake is released, without one's foot anywhere near the accelerator pedal.

If you release the brake the vehicle takes off much faster than the normal "creep" speed that one expects when the engine is idling properly at 600 rpm. I would hate to have to get out of a tight parking space with the engine pulsing from 600 to 1600 rpm every second or so, totally out of my control.

Also, dropping it into gear with the engine hitting 1500-1600 rpm puts a very high shock load on the transmission and the rest of the driveline and certainly is not doing the vehicle any good.

Mine continues to often do it for 20 seconds after starting without the A/C compressor running and always when the A/C is on.
Wow Lotus, I didn't realize you experience this so frequently! So considering its been so hot out all summer, pretty much every one of your startups has been this way?

I'm assuming your solution is to just wait a min or so every time you start up? After this have you ever experienced this while in traffic?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 02:10 AM   #26
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyebill View Post
Wow Lotus, I didn't realize you experience this so frequently! So considering its been so hot out all summer, pretty much every one of your startups has been this way?

I'm assuming your solution is to just wait a min or so every time you start up? After this have you ever experienced this while in traffic?

Yep, it always does the throttle blipping dance if the A/C is on.

I always wait for at least 30 seconds after a cold start before putting the car in gear as a matter of principle, and have developed the habit of switching off the A/C whenever I stop the car. This usually prevents the embarrassing, sophomoric engine revving at startup. I just hit the A/C button after driving off.

I've never had this happen in traffic or after the engine has been running for more than 60 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #27
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyebill View Post

I get it almost every start up also, but it has never happened once the rpms die down...if it did - I would be at the dealer. That would change it from being annoying to being dangerous!
      08-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #28
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipit View Post
Mine has started doing it while waiting at lights. Rpm needle jumping, engine revving. The A/C is on, as it is over 100 everyday in AZ.

If it continues, I am heading to the dealer.

I have less than 1,000 miles on the X3 28i.
I think is might be the first 28i to display this problem.
      08-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #29
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I've never had it come back after intially starting the car either. If there's no easy fix or if BMW does admit to there being a problem I think it's just something we all have to live with.

Even if the rpm jumps around when not pushing the gas pedal it's good habit for people to always have their foot above their brake pedal when it's not on the accelerator.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #30
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

They say that overriding the exhaust valve will relieve back-pressure upon start-up and possibly remedy this oscillating RPM issue. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #31
geordie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

My 35i does it without AC on in perfectly comfy climates.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #32
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

It's happening severely rapidly on my X3 whenever I start it and press "MAX" on the A/C. I will record this and post it for you guys to see. I'm bringing in the car again, I think. I'm at wit's end here.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #33
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
It's happening severely rapidly on my X3 whenever I start it and press "MAX" on the A/C. I will record this and post it for you guys to see. I'm bringing in the car again, I think. I'm at wit's end here.
Judd,

Although it's annoying, this "idle speed hunting" seems to happen on many, if not most, X3's so seems to be part of the car's "character". It should stabilize within 20 to 30 seconds.

If yours is continuing for longer than that, you may have a problem, but if not, it seems to be pretty par for the X3 and is something the dealer probably won't be too concerned about.

It sounds like the engine idle speed regulating software is overcompensating for the alternator and A/C compressor loading at cold start-up and has some significant delay. This might be something that a factory software update might fix, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for BMW to get around to it.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #34
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Be that as it may, it's not normal on all cars, and it didnt happen this rapidly ever on my first X3. I don't want to be in a parking space and have that happen (600-1500-600 every second) and have to pay for someones bumper because my car doesn't know how to regulate engine speed properly at start up. N-O. I've already had one, no, two faulty X3s in the past year and I'm not going to accept this kind of irresponsible engineering anymore. Either they fix it now, or they send me a check for $57,350. I'm finished.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #35
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This might be something that a factory software update might fix, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for BMW to get around to it.
The only way to address this is with a class-action lawsuit.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #36
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

And another thing.

What if you valet your car and the attendant experiences this upon returning with your car? What if he bumps into the car in front or behind him, or a post? If valets are not responsible for any loss or damage to the vehicle or items left inside, then you're out a few thousand dollars to replace your bumper.

I don't know about you, but that doesn't sound just "annoying" to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #37
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Yes, you are, of course, right.
It's too easy to just "go along with it" because the dealer says "They all do - don't worry".
I promise to complain about it (again) the next time I'm at my dealership.
Seriously, maybe we should collaborate on a form letter to post here that everyone on the forum with the problem can copy, print and send to BMW NA. Maybe if they get a few dozen copies from disgruntled customers they'll give it some attention.

Judd, Please do keep us posted as to what your dealer's response is.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #38
XRP
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

600mls and has happened once 35i jaja I was like, I read about this lol
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #39
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRP View Post
600mls and has happened once 35i jaja I was like, I read about this lol
Mine never did it within the first 1000 miles. It seems to begin after the engine has "loosened up" a little. Now at 4K+ miles it does it every cold start with the A/C on (jumping from 600 to 1500 rpm) and occasionally with the A/C off it will fluctuate, but less (900 to 1100 rpm). It does always stop after 20-30 seconds and has never re-occurred with a hot engine.

Once the engine has been running for a minute or so, the idle speed is absolutely steady and smooth at 600 rpm (indicated).
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #40
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Mine has always done it since the beginning. I think it has been doing it less as of recent though. I only have 940 miles on this one so far.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #41
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The only way to address this is with a class-action lawsuit.
Unfortunately, that means having to deal with lawyers.

Apologies to any members of the bar who frequent this forum, but I subscribe to Wm. Shakespeare's line from Henry the Sixth, Pt. 2 Act 4, Scene 2.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #42
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm starting to look at X5s and 5 GTs.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #43
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Are you going to try to get them to lemon this one too???
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #44
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Quote:
Are you going to try to get them to lemon this one too???
Without a doubt.
Appreciate 0