BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-19-2020, 06:46 AM   #1
BIG_KID
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Front strut replacement

Going to be changing the front struts. Is there anything silly about this or is it a strait forward job. I can’t seem to find a write up on it. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 07:38 AM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_KID View Post
Going to be changing the front struts. Is there anything silly about this or is it a strait forward job. I can’t seem to find a write up on it. Thanks
I'm not here to help but to give you more work I just replaced my back shocks and springs and will be doing the front this summer. Any chance you can take pix and notes and then create a post for all of us who might want to do this too? Here is my post when I did the backs https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1731142

I have replaced front struts and all suspension components on a BMW before, the hardest parts of the job was:
- Choosing which parts to buy and from who
- Removing stubborn nuts/bolts so be sure to start spraying all the hardware you will be removing with something like Breakfree, etc two days before the job and then again one day before the job, makes braking them loose so much easier
- Compressing the springs in order to remove them from the shocks and then to install the new ones. Last time I checked, I could not find pressembled struts so you may have to deal with the springs. I bought preassembled ones for the back from FCP Euro, sure made the job simple.
- Pay attention to which bolts and nuts are not reusable, you can get that info from Realoem and/or TIS.
- When complete, think about getting an alignment done, unless you will be doing the rears soon, you can get it done after all have been replaced.
Appreciate 2
      07-19-2020, 08:14 AM   #3
BIG_KID
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I like your write up on the rears. My right front is leaking fluid and I’m sure the rears aren’t too far behind. I will be getting parts from FCP also because I like their warranty and good service. The money spent on new springs might be worth the hassle with spring compressor ECT. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 09:17 AM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I like your write up on the rears. My right front is leaking fluid and I’m sure the rears aren’t too far behind. I will be getting parts from FCP also because I like their warranty and good service. The money spent on new springs might be worth the hassle with spring compressor ECT. Thanks
Thanks. I am assuming you will be buying the shock, spring, shock mount, bumpers, etc and replacing all that so another option is to just remove the nuts atop the shock mounts under the hood and drop the entire strut assy out of the car and recycle it. Then take your new shocks, springs, shock mount, etc to your favorite auto repair shop and have them assemble it using their heavy duty, usually hydraulic wall mounted spring compressor, and you simply take the completed assy home and install it.

This is what I will do when I do mine if I cannot find the parts already assembled like it was for the rears, after going through the spring replacement myself last time, even though I had the proper spring compressor, I said never again. In fact, after doing the left front, when it came time to do the right front, I placed the spring on the shock, put on the bumper and placed the shock mount on it, balancing it so they didn't fall off the top of the spring. I already had the bottom of the shock fastened to the knuckle and I had my hydraulic floor jack under the knuckle. My wife slowly pumped the floor jack while I kept the stack up of parts in place and guided it as it went up into the shock tower. She kept pumping until the studs went through the shock tower holes at which point I screwed on the nuts. Once the assy was in place I verified all was where it was supposed to be, tightened the nuts and let the jack down. This worked and for me and it was less dangerous than using the spring compressor on the bench. The spring did not start really compressing until the studs were just a few inches from going through the shock tower holes. By then, the spring was up into the shock tower well so if something went wrong, we were out of danger.

I don't have a picture of the new parts to post but here is the old strut I removed, I annotated it as if it were the new one

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 10:09 AM   #5
BIG_KID
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That’s a Genius spring compressor idea with the floor jack. I wish they sold front strut/spring like the rear.

I do see a strut mount kit tho
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 11:51 AM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That’s a Genius spring compressor idea with the floor jack. I wish they sold front strut/spring like the rear.

I do see a strut mount kit tho
I just went to the garage and looked at the top of the shock towers, ugh, they used self tapping bolts like in the rear of the car and of course one of them is under the plastic cowl, difficult to access but not impossible, just need an open end wrench or one with the ratchet on the closed end. This will make it difficult to set a proper torque on that one. They will be one time use bolts so you will be tossing the existing ones, see if you can find the top shock mount that comes with new ones, otherwise Realoem will have the part number you will need to buy them.

Yeah, have to say, it was pretty easy and straight forward using the floor jack method, just takes two people. Wish I had thought of that for the first one I did but it was shear fear that started me down the path to an alternative method
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 03:04 PM   #7
BIG_KID
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
see if you can find the top shock mount that comes with new ones
They come in the kit. Part number 31306852158KT
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 11:51 AM   #8
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Not sure if you've done the job yet or not... and I hate to be a native Nancy but seriously, the front struts replacement on the x3 was the WORST suspension job I've ever done.

Tips, make sure you have some sort of strut separator tool... and various ball joint removal tools. oh. and get a real spring compressor, they're cheep at Harbor Freight.

I had done the method mentioned above on other cars but I couldn't get it to work on the x3. when loosened it was too large to pull in or out. so use compressors.

Having learned from that experience last year I just finished doing all my tension arms and such and it was MUCH easier having all the right tools.
      08-21-2020, 04:16 PM   #9
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Take a look here https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...truts/EYKnjyG1

Make sure to click the hotlink to 'Necessary Preliminary Work'.

Good luck/Bill
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 10:23 AM   #10
tech10
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 F25 28ix

Front Struts(springs)

Hi,

I just replaced both front springs for my 2011 X3 28ix but I was not ready to write up the steps to replace.
I tried to remember the steps to remove the strut and put it back.
It's not a very difficult job to do if you are a handy guy.

1. Take a wheel off.
2. remove the pinch bolt(16mm / 18mm)
3. remove a sway bar link
4. take care of wires such as a brake wear sensor cable, brake line, etc
4. sperate the struct from the wheel hub. I use a big hammer to push down the hub.
5. remove the top bolts(13mm / E14)

Assembly is reverse orders.

some tips from the job.
The pinch bolt is the key. It got stuck in the hole because of the rust. at least mine does. I use the torch to heat up but it was not easy.
you are living in the north where the salt is everywhere in winter, a good torch and high torque impact is your best friend.

Do not make mistakes which replace the only shock. Replace both shock and spring together.

I ordered the parts from FCP Euro and the delivery was quick. it took only 3 days to Canada and I'm pretty happy with it.

Unfortunately, I did not have time to take all pictures.

Hope it will help.

Ryan
Attached Images

Last edited by tech10; 08-24-2020 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
Wgosma807.50
      08-20-2023, 01:44 PM   #11
Blau
J
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [6.00]
2013 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
Another incomplete thread... How hard is it to include torque specs guys?
Appreciate 0