BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 xDrive 20d M Sport

Tyre pressures (again)

Hi all

I appreciate this has been discussed before, but:

Car is now 5 weeks old so went and checked them at the weekend. The label on the inside of the door reckons they should be 2.0 all the way around (IIRC for 19" run flats with just me and no luggage). This is lower than the 2.2 front/2.5 rear on my old E90 door sticker.

The current pressures were 2.5 which is what the factory or dealer had set them at. So, the question is, whose correct? I'm not fussed about ride handling, mpg and tyre wear etc (the tyres are covered under maintenance agreement with finance co), I want to know what's best for safety and 2.0 all the way round seems WAY too low.

And are there any dangers/pitfalls of keeping them at 2.5?

Thanks
      08-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

I personally like to keep mine a bit over what is stated on the inside door label. The Goodyear RFTs on our X3 have a max PSI of 51. It give a tiny bit more road feel and maybe offers a tiny bit of better MPG. Seems to offer even wear after 25,000 miles.

I agree that 2.0 seems really low assuming my math is right and 2.0 bar = 29 psi. I'd stick with 2.5 or even 2.75 if I had a long drive with 4 adults in the SUV or lots of gear. With 2.5 you'll have a slightly better turn in response so handling could feel a bit quicker. Ultimately though, I think you'd be safe either way. What does the actual tire sidewall say in regards to Max and Min pressures?

The only tried and true method for confirming what PSI works best for your tire is the chalk method. Basically chalk a nice thik line across the width of your tire. Go for a short drive and the you return you can see if the chalk wore off evenly or if there are low spots on your tires. Back in the day I did this when I was really motivated. Haven't done it in years though. I just keep the PSI above BMWs recommended PSI and below Goodyear's max PSI and haven't noticed any feathering or cupping of our rubber.
Appreciate 0