BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #23
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Isn't the disclaimer a regulatory thing and not BMW's fault? I don't recall seeing anything come up on mine.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #24
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingX
This thread has a lot of issues that can be resolved with changing the options via coding. I had a few things that annoyed me but they are gone now. You guys with problems like disclaimers, lock unlock features etc. should definitely get on it
I think that 95% of people do not code their vehicle. People here mention like it's no big deal. At least for me, it seems somewhat daunting. How easy is this to do? What do you need? How would I even get started? Does this void the warranty? How badly can I potentially screw this up? When I think coding, I think writing lines of computer code, which is definitely what I do not want to be messing with?

I can't be the only person who has these concerns...
Any insight from more experienced forum members would be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #25
Robocheme
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i, 2014 X1 sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy29 View Post
I think that 95% of people do not code their vehicle. People here mention like it's no big deal. At least for me, it seems somewhat daunting. How easy is this to do? What do you need? How would I even get started? Does this void the warranty? How badly can I potentially screw this up? When I think coding, I think writing lines of computer code, which is definitely what I do not want to be messing with?

I can't be the only person who has these concerns...
Any insight from more experienced forum members would be awesome.
+1 It sounds interesting and worth doing, but.... Is there a YouTube video showing the process and what to buy?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #26
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

There's a long list of disappointments for canadians:
1- No Blind spot assist.
2- No 19" style 309 option
3- Packages in the states are better layed out
4- this one is common; the yellow reflectors integrated in the headlamps.
5- The orange lighting in the instrument panel, when it's obvious white is the way to go.

all Those and I didn't get the car yet, I'm sure I'll find more comparing it to the Audi.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #27
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMdblU View Post
5- The orange lighting in the instrument panel, when it's obvious white is the way to go.
I rather like the orange. I think it looks sharp.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #28
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
looks dated, even bmw is starting the switch to white
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #29
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMdblU
Quote:
looks dated, even bmw is starting the switch to white
I like it, you don't. O well. I don't think it's dated at all. Different strokes...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #30
acgator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaiql View Post
Minor disappointment is not having "cover art" for music not appear if you don't purchase sat-nav.
I don't have sat-nav (therefore have the smaller iDrive screen) and still get cover art using a usb thumb drive
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #31
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMdblU View Post
There's a long list of disappointments for canadians:
1- No Blind spot assist.
2- No 19" style 309 option
3- Packages in the states are better layed out
4- this one is common; the yellow reflectors integrated in the headlamps.

all Those and I didn't get the car yet, I'm sure I'll find more comparing it to the Audi.
309s are available still as a special order. Just ordered one for a friend last month!
2006 BMW 330i - //M rep kit with custom exhaust, H&R springs, 19" VMR - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #32
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

The paintwork!!! 18 months old and every time I wash it (like today) I find more damage, mostly small "flakes". It does get waxed twice a year and has been clayed twice but it still seems very fragile

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #33
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy yen View Post
309s are available still as a special order. Just ordered one for a friend last month!
I guess I should call bmw of canada and pay the sales manager a visit for false information.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #34
thrasher-b
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2012 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
My biggest frustration is that the auto climate control does not control fan speed. I would like it to automatically speed if the temp gets too hot and return to a low speed when the set temp is reached.

Also, the USB music could use a few tweaks. I hate hearing the same song I just heard the last time I used the car. It should remember which songs in a playlist I have listened to and not play them again until I have heard them all. When playing from the hard drive, it does not display album art, and the car switches off random when it is shut off.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #35
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

My biggest disappointment is that getting options added after receiving the car are extremely expensive and some of them are not even available later. Design should be so modular that it allows addition of options later on easily. One should be able to add them later as and when need arises or pocket supports.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #36
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1 View Post
My biggest disappointment is that getting options added after receiving the car are extremely expensive and some of them are not even available later. Design should be so modular that it allows addition of options later on easily. One should be able to add them later as and when need arises or pocket supports.
Agreed. A la Prism and composite loosely coupled applications for those in the software industry

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #37
tr7372
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher-b View Post
My biggest frustration is that the auto climate control does not control fan speed. I would like it to automatically speed if the temp gets too hot and return to a low speed when the set temp is reached.
It does do this. When you're in auto mode you have to make sure that the maximum fan speed isn't set too low. The five bars that are displayed for fan speed in auto mode act as a cap, so if you're on the 1st or 2nd bar the fan speed won't go above a relatively low setting. I keep mine on the 4th bar, and it very clearly starts at a high fan speed when the interior is hot and reduces the fan speed as the car cools down.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #38
Stockwell
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan GTS, Golf GTI

As a Canadian,, I am very disappointed towards BMW Canada and your PRODUCT PLANNERs ! Wondering how long consumers will buy your cars when your competitions starting to even out. Please start change your attitude now... look at RIM.

1. no Adaptive Headlights for a $60K loaded X3 35i ??
2. no headlight washer
3. According to US website,, the 307 wheel is cheaper and 308 was an upgrade... and you put the 308 as std for 28i ?
4. High Beam Assistance.
5. Rear Light not full LED
6. Real Time traffic for Navigation
7. Blind Spot system

Well, I see BMW's technology was more advance to other car manufacturers... but even a Old Tech Lexus RX350 have all the above! Drive feeling is important BUT not everything... why not make things perfect or close to 100%...

Last edited by Stockwell; 07-03-2012 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #39
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 xDrive 20d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockwell View Post
1. no Adaptive Headlights
2. no headlight washer
3. High Beam Assistance.
Have you got xenon headlights? If not, then i don't think you will get the above regardless.

However this side of the pond IIRC then the headlight washers are mandatory when a car has xenons.

Yeltzer
      07-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #40
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Only in the USA. Stockwell in north or the 48th where we don't get those options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeltzer View Post
Have you got xenon headlights? If not, then i don't think you will get the above regardless.

However this side of the pond IIRC then the headlight washers are mandatory when a car has xenons.

Yeltzer
      07-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #41
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 xDrive 20d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Only in the USA. Stockwell in north or the 48th where we don't get those options.
Ah, I see. What a p!55er
      07-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #42
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

ah, that's OK we don't get crappy weather so no need to clean the headlights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeltzer View Post
Ah, I see. What a p!55er
      07-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #43
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 30d SE

My biggest disappointment (European 2.0d auto) is the drive experience – the feel of driving is not what I had in previous BMW models with responsive steering and throttle (320d, 325i). I put it down to the introduction of the eco/comfort/sport configuration, where the ‘sport’ setting is what should be the default setting (giving the normal or standard feel as in previous cars, before introduction of electronic controls i.e. the norm), and comfort mode is actually a dumbing down of the car’s capabilities bringing in a reduced (vague)steering feel, a lag in accelerator response, and elimination of engine back pressure when throttle is released; as for Eco mode (sleep mode), forget it. Unfortunately a short test drive before placing an order, isn’t sufficient to make one aware of some of the short comings, the more so as at the time demo cars were few and far between. In order to enjoy it I have it in sport mode the whole time.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #44
Lodaka
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockwell View Post
As a Canadian,, I am very disappointed towards BMW Canada and your PRODUCT PLANNERs ! Wondering how long consumers will buy your cars when your competitions starting to even out. Please start change your attitude now... look at RIM.

1. no Adaptive Headlights for a $60K loaded X3 35i ??
2. no headlight washer
3. According to US website,, the 307 wheel is cheaper and 308 was an upgrade... and you put the 308 as std for 28i ?
4. High Beam Assistance.
5. Rear Light not full LED
6. Real Time traffic for Navigation
7. Blind Spot system

Well, I see BMW's technology was more advance to other car manufacturers... but even a Old Tech Lexus RX350 have all the above! Drive feeling is important BUT not everything... why not make things perfect or close to 100%...
I am currently looking into getting an X3. Thanks for pointing this out; I just figured, since #1 is readily available in other models, it would be there for X3 as well. I am not sure if this is a deal-breaker for me yet, but I need to think about this a bit more.
Appreciate 0