BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
X3emist
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 M/Sport

Anyone else with a 2013 model think the prem sound is not quite up to snuff?

We have to crank the treble and bass all the way up to get half way decent sound. Been tinkering with the equalizer but the sound is not what I expected comparatively to 3 other bimmers I have first hand experience with. Anyone have setting suggestions or comments regarding the premium sound system. As I have mentioned before we also have an 06 and the sound in it will blow our new 2013 away. Houston, we could have a problem.
      05-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Try starting here...
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...=premium+sound

Just received a new test CD that I'm playing with. Played with a low frequency test and it shook the crap out of the car at 30-40Hz.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
Crash Test
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Picked up 2013 X3 a few days ago and still experimenting with sounds settings, but so far I can't get anything I like. Sounds like all mid-range with shrill high end and no low end. There are supposed to 2 subwoofers I believe, but don't seem to be able to hear or feel any deep lows.

I have the premium sound with 16 speakers.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
BenDiem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M240i xDrive

Agree w/OP.

Bought the premium sound, which made me think how bad the standard stereo must be if they call this premium...

Perhaps its my fault that I don't know how to manage the stereo settings

At any rate, my experience has always been that the Germans (to include the many Porsches/MB/Bimmers I've owned) don't know much about stereos or they prefer not to provide the consummer with high end stereos, due to their function follows form theory, and their dead set principle to drive a vehicle and not fall asleep behind the lap of luxo options...

Cheers/BB
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

My wife worked for a European company in the 90's and her Belgium boss told her that cars were to drive, not to listen to music in.

The highs in my car were at first very shrill, then smoothed out. I'm guessing the premium sound system is the same as 2011. So give it time and adjust your equalizer. The bass is pretty neutral unless your looking for techno or rap style. Remember most recorded music does not have a lot of low Hz's.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Burn in

It can take weeks for good stereo to sound good. The electronics have to burn in and the speakers bed in. It's no different from the rest of you car/truck. Give it time.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
X3emist
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 M/Sport

Are you serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
It can take weeks for good stereo to sound good. The electronics have to burn in and the speakers bed in. It's no different from the rest of you car/truck. Give it time.
Are you serious, you have to break in the sound system. Not saying this isn't true it is just I have never heard such before. I am also disheartened to hear others are not happy with the premium sound. I would rather have a problem that could be fixed as opposed to having to live with this. I will give the settings above a try and hope this is of some help. What happened to the DSP option that used to be offered. 2 of our other BMW's have this option which could be why they sound way better.
      05-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Good quality hifi speakers do need breaking in but I'd be surprised if you could hear the difference in a car.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
Are you serious, you have to break in the sound system. Not saying this isn't true it is just I have never heard such before. I am also disheartened to hear others are not happy with the premium sound. I would rather have a problem that could be fixed as opposed to having to live with this. I will give the settings above a try and hope this is of some help. What happened to the DSP option that used to be offered. 2 of our other BMW's have this option which could be why they sound way better.
He's serious. In fact on my home system I'll run pink noise through it for three days just to start a piece of equipment to break in. Not trying to be insulting, but the fact you are not aware this may reflect on your knowledge to judge an audio system. But then again as a professional audio engineer blogger wrote; there is no perfect sound; it is only our perception of what we think is the perfect sound and how that sound makes us respond. A lot of us just want a flat output line with no DSP/Surround or anything else. We want your systems to as closely as possible reflect what the artist and support people recorded. I've run a audio test CD quickly through the CD player the system performs quite well. Many of us are happy with the premium sound, especially at the price point.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Of course I'm serious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
Have you never noticed that hi-fi sounds better a few months after you have bought it? There's a good thread here on the settings to adopt. Try those and see how it sounds 3 months from now.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #11
Harv_NC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

My X3 is about 1 month old now...around 1200 miles. The Premium Sound is finally starting to sound much better. All speakers..esp, good speakers need to break it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #12
KingX
Unregistered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 M-Sport 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
He's serious. In fact on my home system I'll run pink noise through it for three days just to start a piece of equipment to break in. Not trying to be insulting, but the fact you are not aware this may reflect on your knowledge to judge an audio system. But then again as a professional audio engineer blogger wrote; there is no perfect sound; it is only our perception of what we think is the perfect sound and how that sound makes us respond. A lot of us just want a flat output line with no DSP/Surround or anything else. We want your systems to as closely as possible reflect what the artist and support people recorded. I've run a audio test CD quickly through the CD player the system performs quite well. Many of us are happy with the premium sound, especially at the price point.
+1

Also an audio enthusiast I should try my test cds as well and see how it performs at various frequencies for curiosity. But I already also think it sounds good and I know as it breaks in it will sound even better.

Not saying this directly to anyone in particular on here ...but I know a lot of people who don't even tune a system in. They put it on the first time and say it doesn't sound good without even setting it up correctly. Spend some time with it, adjust and listen..you might surprise yourself

[Black Sapphire/Oyster/Wave Wood: ZPP/ZTP/ZCW/ZCX/ZDH/ZPS/ZMP/6NR]
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #13
Harv_NC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Question: In the link there is reference to Logic 7. Is the premium sound system in the X3 Logic 7? I have it..but no clue who the provider is. There are no Logic 7 presets.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #14
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv_NC View Post
Question: In the link there is reference to Logic 7. Is the premium sound system in the X3 Logic 7? I have it..but no clue who the provider is. There are no Logic 7 presets.
I use "Logic 7" in the description of the premium sound it's to differentate the US premium sound from the "Dirac" system which is sold as the premium sound in other parts of the world. When I purchased the X3 the CA told me that all BMW radios are made by Harman Kardon. This was probably a little simplistic. He probably meant "Harman International" which owns Becker, the old European car audio manufacture. Logic 7 is a Harman proprietary surround sound which is used in their Harman Kardon and Lexicon home processors/receivers. That being said, plus the fact that BMW use to refer to the premium sound as "Logic 7"; my bet would be that it is "Logic 7" surround processing. No hard evidence though.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #15
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.8

Garage List
All I can say is try the settings suggested by Radioactive and give it some time. I am now much happier with the sound in my 2011 28 w/premium sound. Bass is still not quite as powerful as in wife's 2008 Volvo C70 w/dynaudio but still quite good and easy to listen to. It does sound better with some volume than at lower levels but that could be my ears after all those rock n roll concerts....
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #16
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I'm very happy with the system but wouldn't turn away a bit more base. My wife's Mini is nicer in that regard.
      05-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #17
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Try adding a little more on the 100 Hz band and see if that helps your bass.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #18
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Will try. I've used your settings already and am generally happy with the sound. Seems to me that my wife's Mini simply has more powerful subwoofers moving more air. With the same music, there's just not the same thump -- not bad at all, but a different level.
      05-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #19
KingX
Unregistered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 M-Sport 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
I use "Logic 7" in the description of the premium sound it's to differentate the US premium sound from the "Dirac" system which is sold as the premium sound in other parts of the world. When I purchased the X3 the CA told me that all BMW radios are made by Harman Kardon. This was probably a little simplistic. He probably meant "Harman International" which owns Becker, the old European car audio manufacture. Logic 7 is a Harman proprietary surround sound which is used in their Harman Kardon and Lexicon home processors/receivers. That being said, plus the fact that BMW use to refer to the premium sound as "Logic 7"; my bet would be that it is "Logic 7" surround processing. No hard evidence though.
Sure it's harman? I'm seeing Alpine on stuff. maybe they switched.

No I didn't pull my radio out :P pic is from another site:
Attached Images

[Black Sapphire/Oyster/Wave Wood: ZPP/ZTP/ZCW/ZCX/ZDH/ZPS/ZMP/6NR]
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #20
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingX View Post
Sure it's harman? I'm seeing Alpine on stuff. maybe they switched.

No I didn't pull my radio out :P pic is from another site:
Never 100% sure. Good thing I didn't bet. Keep loosing in video poker too. Guess I'll stick with Sudoku and not believe everything a CA tells me!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #21
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

To the OP: cranking the bass and treble makes the premium hifi unlistenable. However, careful EQing gives a good, flat response that may take some getting used to if you typically go for the smiley face EQ. That type of EQ sounds muddy in the X3. Allow time for the speakers to break-in as it does make a difference. The source material plays a big role, and the interface (USB vs analog-in vs Bluetooth, etc.) are all audibly different, even for the same source material. My favorite way to listen to tunes in the car is with MOG.

Premium hifi pales in comparison to my amazing system at home but it's no slouch.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #22
Crash Test
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon View Post
However, careful EQing gives a good, flat response that may take some getting used to if you typically go for the smiley face EQ.
What EQ settings do you use?
Appreciate 0