BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
srdegnan
Registered
Rep
Drives: x3

Unhappy Connected drive ... not connected. Internet .. not in the UK!

So I finally collected my X3 a couple of weeks back ... but only got to use it in the last couple of days.

All going great (I even have a 500GB HDD with 30,000 mp3s working) - but issues with internet connectivity and connected drive.

What I have

- professional navigation, bluetooth, internet prep and a very functional samsung galaxy S2 (oh, and 20 years IT experience).

what works:

Samsung phone is fine - phonebook, voice, and media all work. data is enabled on the phone and shows as an available bluetooth service on the BMW.

what doesn't work
1. Internet – it says ‘internet not available in my country’. Clearly this shouldn’t be happening
2. BMW online – it says my phone should have data enabled (when it already is... and I'd demonstrated it works (see BMW services, below)
3. though navigation is configured to pick up live traffic updates via the Bluetooth connection on my phone – it’s not doing that.

I know there’s not an issue with the phone and data . I can select BMW services, and request ‘update services’. At that point it establishes a data connection with my phone and checks the services. I can see the data icon on the car and my phone confirms it's acting as a shared connection and data is transferring.

I’ve had a quick look around and it looks like I have to register for connected drive. I wasn’t aware I had to as I had not been advised. Will this resolve the issues or does something else need looked at?

Cheers

Stephen
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

the data access is through the car's SIM, not your phone. Have you activated your BMW Assist account?

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdegnan View Post
So I finally collected my X3 a couple of weeks back ... but only got to use it in the last couple of days.

All going great (I even have a 500GB HDD with 30,000 mp3s working) - but issues with internet connectivity and connected drive.

What I have

- professional navigation, bluetooth, internet prep and a very functional samsung galaxy S2 (oh, and 20 years IT experience).

what works:

Samsung phone is fine - phonebook, voice, and media all work. data is enabled on the phone and shows as an available bluetooth service on the BMW.

what doesn't work
1. Internet – it says ‘internet not available in my country’. Clearly this shouldn’t be happening
2. BMW online – it says my phone should have data enabled (when it already is... and I'd demonstrated it works (see BMW services, below)
3. though navigation is configured to pick up live traffic updates via the Bluetooth connection on my phone – it’s not doing that.

I know there’s not an issue with the phone and data . I can select BMW services, and request ‘update services’. At that point it establishes a data connection with my phone and checks the services. I can see the data icon on the car and my phone confirms it's acting as a shared connection and data is transferring.

I’ve had a quick look around and it looks like I have to register for connected drive. I wasn’t aware I had to as I had not been advised. Will this resolve the issues or does something else need looked at?

Cheers

Stephen
You get Internet either thru BMW Online after registering with them or thru tethered phone network if tethering is enabled and X3 is enabled for Internet. Only one way of Internet is allowed.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 02:16 AM   #4
srdegnan
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1 View Post
You get Internet either thru BMW Online after registering with them or thru tethered phone network if tethering is enabled and X3 is enabled for Internet. Only one way of Internet is allowed.

Hi - I have enabled tethering on my phone and the car detects it. I had Internet prep as part of my order. Based on the post (above) I'm registering for BMW assist. I'm assuming I need that before I'll get access to those services.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 02:17 AM   #5
srdegnan
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
the data access is through the car's SIM, not your phone. Have you activated your BMW Assist account?
Thanks - I've requested access to the account. Where i'm a little confused is it's clear on the professional sat nav that it will use the phone's data connection over bluetooth (it's an explicit menu item). Will this kick in when BMW assist does?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdegnan View Post
Thanks - I've requested access to the account. Where i'm a little confused is it's clear on the professional sat nav that it will use the phone's data connection over bluetooth (it's an explicit menu item). Will this kick in when BMW assist does?
You must have a slightly different menu to me as I don't remember seeing this option on mine (built Jan 2011). Perhaps this is just for the internet option (which I don't have). As I understand it, you can't tether in the UK, it's all through the car's SIM, which isn't even 3G unfortunately. You can tether in other countries. Once you are activated on BMW Assist, you can test what it's actually using by switching your phone onto flight mode and trying to access the BMW Online stuff

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0