BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #23
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

while we are on the topic of things stuck in tyres I offer this little sidebar (thread hijack).

My motorcycle had a nail from a nail gun dead centre in my tyre. I still can't believe a flimsy nail from a nail gun could find its way dead centre in my tyre.

10-24-2012, 04:50 AM   #24
Renaud
Private
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 20i; 2002 E36/8

I have mixed views... Yes, you can continue driving, but, on the other hand, what do you do when the next "serious" tyre dealer is, say 100 Km away, or the puncture occurs during a public holiday? The fact that runflats cannot (or should not?) be repaired after having run flat, is a serious shortcoming in my view.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #25
Dechy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i M

Run Flats cost an arm and a legs compared to normal rubber, but they definitely work; less than 2 months after buying the car, iDrive kept bugging me that "a tire" (all damn tires were yellow) had a flat. I checked them all and 2 were low, so I inflated. 1 week later same thing, but this time 1 specific tire was low, but still couldn't find a damn nail, so reinflated thinking it might be a valve slow leak; sprayed water, looked everywhere and STILL couldn't find a damn thing...

The weekend after I'm back in my home town, 300KMs away... ~75KMs from the nearest BMW and waking up in the morning I literally see a flat tire in the driveway lol. Called roadside, flatbed came, 75KMs to Brossard BMW, and they showed me where the culprit was... small nail with a broken off head that had inbeded itself in the wear mark which pretty much perfectly hid the nail... no wonder I couldn't find it.

They patched it up and ~20000KMs after it's still going strong. Had a second nail in another tire about 4 months ago, but this time I found it instantly, so I drove to the nearest tire shop and they were able to patch it up no problem for 10$! (and that was ~3000KMs ago).

TL;DR version: two nails, two different tires, plugged easily and tires still holding up great!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 04:22 AM   #26
Broch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35d M-Sport

Never had a puncture in nearly 20 years of driving, but had one the second week of owning my X3. This is also my first car with RFT, so thought i'd get the BMW insurance, just in case.
Glad I did, as the tyre fitter showed me a Pirelli safety flash that states, they do not allow repairs to their RFT's.
Wonder what insurance companys would say if they had a claim involving a repaired Pirelli?
      10-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #27
Dechy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i M

I got the LS2s, and the dealer never mentionned anything regarding allowing repairs (or not) on RFTs... I was going there expecting a friggin 400$+ price tag but was happy when the bill was less than 35$.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #28
FX3OK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by S70IP View Post
With all the discussion about the pros and cons with run flats does anyone have any stories about getting a flat in a run flat tyre?
Yes! I took two nails to the tire a month ago. Warning lights lit up indicating a flat tire. Pulled over with no problem. Tire maintained its integrity. Good thing for rf! I had my children on board and it was a busy road. Was able to drive off without issue. Took vehicle in next morning and got new tire ordered on warranty. Continued to drive a few days until tire arrived. No issues at all, love them!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 01:56 AM   #29
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
As per my other post, got a nail in my rear yesterday which has taken it down to 0 even if i try and pump her up.. no dealers have any tyres of the same type in stock anywhere.

Trying to source one today, if not, then I need to consider my options around repair, replace all 4 with a different brand.. I'm wondering if I should hassle BMW for some of the cost if I am unable to obtain the tyres that BMW supplied with the car, and it would force me to replace all 4 to maintain the same tyres.

Hoping to find at least 1 if not 2 today as I want to replace both rears.. seems I drove over the nail just after leaving the office.

I really wish the car would tell you WHICH tyre had the problem as had to hunt around trying to find it as its not always easy to see which one has the flat.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #30
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Mine went 40 miles on a dirt road, 12 miles on pavement to the first tire dealer that didn't have a replacement tire, and 30 miles to the next town that did. Picture was taken with the tire holding pressure, but 5 minutes later, the TPM alarm popped up. 82 miles on a flat tire, keeping the maximum speed below 50 (pavement). Let's just say that where I had been camping, a tow truck wasn't a good option.
I'd say BMW is a tad pessimistic on how long the tire will hold up.
Attached Images

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 01:47 AM   #31
S70IP
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d

I hit a gutter made of jagged blue stone one morning on the way to work. Drove about 90km before I had it replaced.
Attached Images

11-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #32
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Only useful if you are able to get replacements.. which it seems is a challenge in the UK right now..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #33
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
Only useful if you are able to get replacements.. which it seems is a challenge in the UK right now..
I asked about the CS3s at BMW Cooper Reading on Sat. The tyre guy there said there were issues with stock but he expected things to better in 2-3 months. I've switched to winters now until March. Doesn't fill you with confidence really

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #34
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2-3 months! Thats crap.. that was the reason I decided not to avail myself of the option to have a loan car until they were available.. don't fancy driving around in a crapheap for 3 months just because they cant sort tyres out.

Although I think a strongly worded letter to BMW requesting some compensation for the requirement to change both rear tyres because I couldn't get the ones they provided in order.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #35
nuthatch
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
The little worry I have about runflats is the limited 50 mile range. I have BMW Assist so I assume the strategy (if more than 50 miles from home) would be only to use the runflats to get the car somewhere safe to stop and then call BMW.
As a very new BMW owner, my question is how does BMW Assist and, let's say, 80 miles of driving @ 50 mph help in the wilds of Canada and the U.S. when you have a puncture? What advice do any have about carrying air-compressors for tire inflation?

Last edited by nuthatch; 11-14-2012 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: geography not quite clear; follow-up question
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #36
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max3Factor
First experience on the weekend. 220 miles from home on Saturday morning. Started the car after an overnight stop and got the tyre pressure warning. Checked and found rear tyre flat with a large screw thread buried.

Then the stress of run flats became apparent. Several phone calls and could not locate a shop that would attempt a repair - not even interested in looking at it. Started getting quotes for a Pirelli P Zero 245/50 R18 100w ranging upwards from 275 and told they could not get it in until Monday/Tuesday. BMW dealer 30 miles away had one in stock at 345.
Tried one last phone call to a small loacl shop and they said bring it along. Car handled fine at 40mph the 5 miles up the road. Two guys agreed they could make a safe repair. The full length of the screw below was buried and luckily was pointing in away from the edge of the tyre making it "just repairable".

Job done for 12
You can't repair a run flat.

Why?

There is no safety mechanism to keep track if the number of miles run while flat.

Anyone that repairs a run flat does not understand them.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #37
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post

Why?

There is no safety mechanism to keep track if the number of miles run while flat.

It's a bit of a grey area. I don't think it's impossible to ascertain the internal damage but many repair centres refuse to repair them because they can't be sure and they don't want to be sued should something happen. The AA (motoring organisation here in the UK) have this to say:

Quote:
Repairing run-flats
It is a basic principle of tyre repair that the repairer must inspect the tyre internally to check that it is safe to repair.

The repairer will consider the damage and condition of the tyre taking into account rules laid down in the appropriate standard (BS AU159f). These cover the position of the puncture in the tyre and the presence/extent of any secondary damage - damage that has occurred as a result of running in a deflated condition.

By definition, run-flat tyres are likely to have been driven 'flat' at speed for a considerable distance and this must be taken into account when considering the possibility of a repair.

The construction of run-flat tyres can make it difficult for the repairer to identify any secondary damage. This means that even though Run-flat repair kits are available to the trade, many repairers may be reluctant or simply refuse to repair a puncture in a run-flat tyre.
I think you're taking a risk if you get one repaired because of the potential damage cuased by running the tyre whilst flat (regardless of where and how the actual puncture occurred)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #38
findude
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2002

We had RFTs on our MINI Cooper S go flat twice. The first time I took it to a local Firestone Tire dealer (these were Dunlops and Firestone is their distributor here). They replaced it free of charge no questions asked and even balanced the wheel for me.

The second time the tire was old enough that Firestone would not replace it. I plugged it with a $5 kit, drove it a few miles to heat it up, trimmed off the excess plug, and had the wheel/tire balanced again since the plug changes the weight distribution. That tire ran another 7,000 miles until I replaced the set. Mind you, it was a very clean puncture near the center of the tread; I wouldn't patch a runflat that was punctured near or on the shoulder. I should also mention that in my youth I plugged many punctured tires while working at a gas station so I am familiar with the procedure.

Runflats have gotten better over the years, but I'm still not a fan.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #39
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax
Quote:

Why?

It's a bit of a grey area. I don't think it's impossible to ascertain the internal damage but many repair centres refuse to repair them because they can't be sure and they don't want to be sued should something happen. The AA (motoring organisation here in the UK) have this to say:

Quote:
Repairing run-flats
It is a basic principle of tyre repair that the repairer must inspect the tyre internally to check that it is safe to repair.

The repairer will consider the damage and condition of the tyre taking into account rules laid down in the appropriate standard (BS AU159f). These cover the position of the puncture in the tyre and the presence/extent of any secondary damage - damage that has occurred as a result of running in a deflated condition.

By definition, run-flat tyres are likely to have been driven 'flat' at speed for a considerable distance and this must be taken into account when considering the possibility of a repair.

The construction of run-flat tyres can make it difficult for the repairer to identify any secondary damage. This means that even though Run-flat repair kits are available to the trade, many repairers may be reluctant or simply refuse to repair a puncture in a run-flat tyre.
I think you're taking a risk if you get one repaired because of the potential damage cuased by running the tyre whilst flat (regardless of where and how the actual puncture occurred)
The only reason it is a gray area is because BMW or its dealer network never took any initiative to explain run flats can't be repaired.

I think whatever savings ASS gives the world, if any, is more than offset by the environmental impact of discarding a run flat tire prematurely due to puncture.

Jesus, used tires are already a huge environmental problem and run flats only compound the problem.

The mere concept of tires is stupidly out of date in this day and age. Tires require roads with contiguous continuity in order for four toast-size patches to function. Plus. It's stupid that the vehicles' tires have to make contact with the surface of the road all the way from point a to point b.

Yes, you heard it here, I am proposing that we abandon tires in favor of hydraulic legs. You will never get a flat, you won't need brakes, and all you need is to replace your cars' sneakers every 20,000 miles. Yep, your car will use Nike instead of Goodyear if I had my way!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #40
nuthatch
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i gray

Repairing RF

Quote:

Why?

Granted that run-flat repairs are quite a bit more problematic than regular tire repairs, is it wrong to assume that with a tire repair and inflation kit, like "Slime Spair," drivers have a better chance of getting to a repair shop with the punctured tire in decent shape (whatever that means)?
Remember that many BMW owners are driving in places where a dealership garage, or even a well-stocked tire store, is nowhere nearby. (Maybe BMW isn't the best choice, then, but that's another discussion entirely.)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #41
Hornet_Rider
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i 2011 M-Sport

My dealer has fixed my Run flat puncture with a nail last week for 60$. Granted the tire never lost air. I found the nail when changing my wheels for the winter...

Tire is fine now.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #42
klt
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 (28i)

i doing my 'deal' with the biz manager @ the dealer - on a 2013 X3 28i 3 yr lease - 15,000 miles per year. should i take the RFT TIRE warranty? i'm new to BMW and RFT's! they want $1,300.00 for the warranty - PLUS a $50.00 deductible per tire replacement....
any other add ons to 'take' or 'avoid' - they sell alot of them!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #43
snowboardjoe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

I've not had a flat tire on many cars for many years..., until a few months ago with my 2013 X3. I did not get the extended tire warranty. Apparently tire picked up a nail or screw in the middle of the tread and went flat overnight.

Drove to dealership (about 5 minutes away) and they replaced it for about $400. Yep, $400 a piece roughly. I did not know how much RFT's cost until I ran into this. There's a reason that extended warranty is not cheap.
      12-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #44
alexg62
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i M-Sport

I took the warranty. $1500 on 19in tires and no deductable. After two weeks of driving, one of the tires developed slow leak. Took it to the dealer and they told me that it had a nail puncture. They replaced it under tire warranty.
I also never had a nail in 20+ years and was very surprised to discover the nail puncture in new car. My gut feel is that these RFT’s are more susceptible, but everyone keeps telling me it just a coincidence.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698294
Appreciate 0