BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-21-2017, 01:54 AM   #1
Portadown95
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i with THP, Sport Pack

Any Suggestions for Improving Ride Quality on the 2nd Gen X3?

Does anyone have any suggestions to improve ride quality for the 2nd gen X3?

I have had one 5 years and always have thought the ride could be less jarring. I got rid of my run flats at the first opportunity, which improved things somewhat. A contributing factor are the 19 inch wheels on the sport activity package.

I was wondering if anyone added aftermarket suspension parts that may have helped.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
dreaming440i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe M Sport

I've got good news for you. Sort of. 18's with grand touring tires will make a phenomenal difference.

1. Tires. Eve if you stay with 19's, There are some that make a big difference, usually in the Grand Touring class. Check Tire Rack's reviews. From experience, Michelin Primacy MXM4 or Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus are as smooth as you can get, and both are still "driver's tires".
2. 18" wheels. I'm running the Turanza on OEM 18's. The ride is impressively smooth over every type of surface, especially potholes.
3. Standard (Non-sport) springs. If you do have the sport suspension, this will be a big improvement. Parts are cheap, but labor and alignment will run you $500-$750.

Too bad you're not in Houston. We could to a test swap of wheels and tires! I'm thinking I can go firmer in one or more of the areas and still keep it smooth enough for me. Grass is always greener...

Last edited by dreaming440i; 05-22-2017 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: Correction.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 12:31 PM   #3
Portadown95
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i with THP, Sport Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingX3 View Post
I've got good news for you. Sort of. 18's with grand touring tires will make a phenomenal difference.

1. Tires. Eve if you stay with 19's, There are some that make a big difference, usually in the Grand Touring class. Check Tire Rack's reviews. From experience, Michelin Primacy MXM4 or Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus are as smooth as you can get, and both are still "driver's tires".
2. 18" wheels. I'm running the Turanza on OEM 18's. The ride is impressively smooth over every type of surface, especially potholes.
3. Standard (Non-sport) springs. If you do have the sport suspension, this will be a big improvement. Parts are cheap, but labor and alignment will run you $500-$750.

Too bad you're not in Houston. We could to a test swap of wheels and tires! I'm thinking I can go firmer in one or more of the areas and still keep it smooth enough for me. Grass is always greener...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingX3 View Post

Thanks! I am in Europe and may see if I can get some second hand OEM 18 rims,. Maybe try them out with winter tires
Appreciate 0