BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #23
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 30D Msport DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishmovva View Post
I had a similar problem. The software update in late 2012 almost fixed the jerkiness but not quite. Earlier this year my car started jerking a lot more. I took it in and they found that the VTG motor (BMW called it Longitudinal Torque Motor) had failed on the transfer case though there was no error shown to the driver. They also updated the latest and final software fix for the jerkiness that came out in APril 2013 and now car is almost perfect! I can still feel a little jerk rarely but I can get past it if I feather the throttle gently. You can search on posts with my name to see the part numbers that were replaced.

Please do let us know what they find wrong with your car and post any part numbers they may have replaced. Thank you!
Got my car back this evening, and what they did was another software update and reset a few sensors and other settings.

Works very fine now. Took it for a long drive and noticed the the rpms when coasting is higher now than before the new update. Before it had rpm around 900 but now it is around 1200-1300. Engine is much smoother in coasting, accelerating rigth after breaking, general acceleration and fast acceleration. Also the gearshifts seems better and more natural.

It's like a new car. Fingers crossed that it will keep that way.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #24
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 2019 X5

Good to hear that all is right! I felt the same way about my car after the last s/w update in April on my gasoline 3.5i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBR View Post
Got my car back this evening, and what they did was another software update and reset a few sensors and other settings.

Works very fine now. Took it for a long drive and noticed the the rpms when coasting is higher now than before the new update. Before it had rpm around 900 but now it is around 1200-1300. Engine is much smoother in coasting, accelerating rigth after breaking, general acceleration and fast acceleration. Also the gearshifts seems better and more natural.

It's like a new car. Fingers crossed that it will keep that way.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 03:23 AM   #25
david.alexander1989
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i F25

Gearbox jerking on low RPM and when changed from N to D

Hello Guys,

I've recently purchased a secondhand 2011 X3 35i and experience the same issue as yours. The transmission feels jolted when changed from N to D, or during low RPM. This issue only happens occasionally, so it's hard to replicate it in front of the BMW service assistant.

Last week I visited a dealership to check for this issue. They have conducted a transmission adaptation reset and replace the coils (all 6 of them). The coils replacement is mandatory due to a different issue (drivetrain), but they suspect this is also contributes to the jerking.

When I tested the car with the Service Assistant, it worked just fine. However after several days, the problem reemerged again.

Am wondering if you guys have managed to permanently fix the issue. If yes, kindly share the specific software version that you're currently running and what are the part(s) that needs to be replaced. Btw, I have asked the SA regarding the Longitudinal Torque Motor (as mentioned by smovva , but he said that the diagnostic did not mention any problem with that component.

Many thanks!

david
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #26
luttapy
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Smile Changing coil packs resolved the issue

I had the same issues as mentioned here:
  • Vehicle jerks in low RPM when shifting gears.
  • When I get out of my heated garage, issue is there for some time but if I park outside in the cold, it works smoothly.
  • At high RPM, there are no issues.
  • The check engine lights came on twice with the warning Drivetrain Malfunction, drive moderately

I took the vehicle to my local garage and he told me that it is limping because the computer is detecting some misfires in cylinder 5 and it is turning the cylinder off.

We changed all the spark plugs. The vehicle rode smoothly for around 1000 KMs and then the jerks came back again. So, took the car back and changed all the coil packs. The Jerks hasn't come back yet.
Appreciate 0