BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
jsl1419
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 35i M sport

Anyone put Morimoto HID kit for fog lamp?

Just want to know before I pulled the trigger for the HID conversion if there is any serious problem with it. Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Other than blinding everyone you pass?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #3
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnZero View Post
Other than blinding everyone you pass?
I think these lights, low on the front bumper, are more accurately called driving lights. They are aimed low on the road and do not even come close to "blinding" or even distracting on coming drivers.

Driving Lights, if they put out a useful amount of light, do an excellent job of lighting up the road and shoulder surface directly in front of the car. I guess it can be argued that there is no need to see the area immediately in front of the car because anything seen is much too close to do anything about. Nevertheless, my preference is to see as much as possible.

In my opinion the more properly aimed and distributed light in front of the car the better, and there is usually never enough. To that end I leave my driving lights on both my Z3 and Lexus set to be on any time the headlights are on. As soon as I get my hands on my X3 this week I plan to check out these lights. If they will do something consequentially more useful than the factory lights, are reliable, and not entail risk of damaging my car, I intend to buy and install them.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
denrusso
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
If they will do something consequentially more useful than the factory lights, are reliable, and not entail risk of damaging my car, I intend to buy and install them.
These will replace the fog lights, correct? If so, and you are more interested in usefulness over cosmetics, then leave the factory amber (incandescent like) lights. That color light penetrates fog better and is why BMW has them at a different color compared to the headlights.

Thanks,
dr
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Quote:
I think these lights, low on the front bumper, are more accurately called driving lights. They are aimed low on the road and do not even come close to "blinding" or even distracting on coming drivers.

Driving Lights, if they put out a useful amount of light, do an excellent job of lighting up the road and shoulder surface directly in front of the car. I guess it can be argued that there is no need to see the area immediately in front of the car because anything seen is much too close to do anything about. Nevertheless, my preference is to see as much as possible.

In my opinion the more properly aimed and distributed light in front of the car the better, and there is usually never enough. To that end I leave my driving lights on both my Z3 and Lexus set to be on any time the headlights are on. As soon as I get my hands on my X3 this week I plan to check out these lights. If they will do something consequentially more useful than the factory lights, are reliable, and not entail risk of damaging my car, I intend to buy and install them.
The fog, or driving lights, as they are installed from the factory do not blind other drivers. When you install a bulb like the HID kit you're putting out much more light than the housing was designed for and you will blind other drivers. In my opinion, the only time I would say an HID kit doesn't blind other drivers is when projectors are used to keep the light where it's supposed to go. Even in that case the projects are designed for a specific kind of bulb and position that you can have issues, but it's at least a better option than putting HID bulbs in an open-reflector housing.

There are trucks scattered around the area that I live with HID kits stuffed into every orifice of the front bumper, and they absolutely blind other drivers.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 05:47 AM   #6
Ranger 6
Yorkshireman trapped in a Berkshire postcode
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M-Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
I think these lights, low on the front bumper, are more accurately called driving lights....
No, no and again no....

'Driving lights' are intended to supplement full(high) beam to give greater visibility when travelling at speed in the dark. Driving lights should be wired in such a way as to go off when switched to main(low) beam.

Fog lights are for lighting up the road just in front of the car, helping to illuminate the kerbs and used in low speed, low visibility. Not intended for use (certainly according to the UK Highway Code) in visibility greater than 100m and in some cases the police are known to fine drivers for improper use.

IMHO To put HID in a fog light housing is completely inappropriate - when used in fog the dazzle will negate the use of the lights. They're not driving lights or DRLs and they're not cool - improper use of fog lights makes you look like you don't know what you're doing with a car......
      07-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

As above. You'll notice that the fogs shut off when you switch to high beams
Appreciate 0