BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-24-2023, 10:32 AM   #1
shacall2
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive 28i (F25)

Buying a 2015 X3 28i - another timing chain question

Hi all-
New to the forums, and realize this topic has been discussed endlessly. I'm struggling to get a straight answer on when the guides were actually addressed/fixed. I was told 2015+ models are ok, but then I read it wasn't addressed until production date Jan 2015+.

Although the one I'm looking at is a 2015 (64k miles on it), the production/build date is 2014-04-17. Would this vehicle have the updated chain guide, or is it still vulnerable?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 03:30 PM   #2
gav1ndica
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 (F25)

Mine has the same build date, and at 97k mi. was replaced preventatively before any failure. Guides were in poor shape and there was substantial chain slack at operating temp. Apparently there is dissent amongst some concerning the risk with the 2015's, but I would have it checked prior to purchase if it were my situation. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 07:40 AM   #3
shacall2
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive 28i (F25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav1ndica View Post
Mine has the same build date, and at 97k mi. was replaced preventatively before any failure. Guides were in poor shape and there was substantial chain slack at operating temp. Apparently there is dissent amongst some concerning the risk with the 2015's, but I would have it checked prior to purchase if it were my situation. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply! I'll have to tread a bit careful on this one. I wish they had some sort of "VIN checker" to determine which vehicles have the older guides.
Appreciate 0