BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-10-2020, 07:38 PM   #1
BMWfan73
Lord of Glencoe
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 xDrive35i M-Sport

I want to cry...

Gutted... Wife and I thought we'd have a fun 2 1/2 hour road trip for the day and travel to another city for some shopping and lunch. As soon as we get on the highway, a CR-V in front of us throws up a rock, landing square in the middle of the windshield and leaves a nice shatter (First photo). Then an hour later, a Land Cruiser in front of us runs off the shoulder and throws up a bunch of gravel and a rock hits the lower right corner of the windshield and leaves a shatter (Second photo). Then when we finally get home, I notice that the front tow hook cover has popped out sometime during the drive and is missing. I just got the car 2 weeks ago and I'm heart broken. 2015 X3 35i M-Sport. I have the heads up display so it requires the special windshield. Should I have the BMW dealership replace it or call Safelite?
Attached Images

10-11-2020, 06:40 AM   #2
HPR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 35i M Sport

Too bad. This sort of thing is always aggravating. Living in Colorado where they "sand" the roads in the winter with pea gravel I know exactly how you're feeling. In my area Safelite has very competitive prices. They've installed the last three windshields in mine, which also has the heads up display. If you take it to your dealership they're going to call a glass shop to do the work and then tack on an administrative fee. I'd do some phone shopping with glass companies in your area.
      10-11-2020, 07:20 AM   #3
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 35iX/'20 440ix cabrio

As HPR said, dealerships rarely do the glass themselves. But they usually have some kind of relationship with a shop where they send all their glass work. Be aware that that relationship may also include an ownership interest so be sure to get quotes. See if you can find out who does the work for you local dealers. For example, Schomp here in Denver uses Arapahoe Auto Glass, or at least it did a number of years back when I had the glass replaced on my old 325iX. I wanted OE glass on that one. The shop procured the glass and did an excellent install.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2020, 07:33 AM   #4
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan73 View Post
Gutted... Wife and I thought we'd have a fun 2 1/2 hour road trip for the day and travel to another city for some shopping and lunch. As soon as we get on the highway, a CR-V in front of us throws up a rock, landing square in the middle of the windshield and leaves a nice shatter (First photo). Then an hour later, a Land Cruiser in front of us runs off the shoulder and throws up a bunch of gravel and a rock hits the lower right corner of the windshield and leaves a shatter (Second photo). Then when we finally get home, I notice that the front tow hook cover has popped out sometime during the drive and is missing. I just got the car 2 weeks ago and I'm heart broken. 2015 X3 35i M-Sport. I have the heads up display so it requires the special windshield. Should I have the BMW dealership replace it or call Safelite?
I had something similar happen on my previous F31. Safelite replaced in my driveway and I never had any problems with their work or windshield they replaced.
      10-11-2020, 08:30 AM   #5
alpineweissF25
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

Wow, such bad luck to have all that happen in one day!

I had a crack in the windshield on my 2016 35i and so first off I contacted SafeLite. To cut a long story short in the end I had the windshield replaced by a local glass shop which my BMW dealer recommended.

From my discussions with SafeLite, they did not make me feel any confidence that they knew what they were doing. My vehicle has head-up display and also the front facing KAFAS camera for road sign detection etc.

SafeLite were insisting on using a non OEM windshield which is more profitable for them and was ultimately what led me to asking my BMW dealer as I wanted a OEM windshield. BMW advised that with the head-up display a non OEM windshield will likely result in a blurred image on the head-up.

The replacement went great and I have had no issue with the head-up or any of the camera system. OEM windshields are manufactured for BMW by CarLex, and you can tell by checking the bottom right of your windshield to see their logo/marking.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 06:18 AM   #6
HPR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineweissF25 View Post
...BMW advised that with the head-up display a non OEM windshield will likely result in a blurred image on the head-up.
All my replacement windshields have been aftermarket glass. Couldn't see paying double the price just to sport the BMW logo. HU display has always been sharp and clear.
Rube74.50
      10-12-2020, 07:51 AM   #7
alpineweissF25
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

[/QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineweissF25 View Post
...BMW advised that with the head-up display a non OEM windshield will likely result in a blurred image on the head-up.
All my replacement windshields have been aftermarket glass. Couldn't see paying double the price just to sport the BMW logo. HU display has always been sharp and clear.

For my situation it was not about sporting the BMW logo, and more that I was getting told by my dealer that there was a risk that the head-up may not work as well.

I was not prepared to take the risk. I wanted the job done right first time and know that the new windshield meets the requirements of the manufacturer.

Considering I never paid a dime for the replacement, not even a deductible the cost didn't even come into the decision process.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 08:03 AM   #8
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
The glass shop I took mine to to replace the windshield (in 2016) said there was no aftermarket glass compatible with the HUD for the F25, so they had to get OEM glass. Insurance covered the cost other than deductable.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 09:40 AM   #9
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

At least the second incident happened before you replace the damaged windshield.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 09:57 AM   #10
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
The glass shop I took mine to to replace the windshield (in 2016) said there was no aftermarket glass compatible with the HUD for the F25, so they had to get OEM glass. Insurance covered the cost other than deductable.
You were told wrong, but if insurance paid it does not matter. I have non-BMW glass with head up display. Works exactly like new. I paid out of pocket and it was hundreds cheaper than BMW labeled glass. To the OP, I kind of rejoice at an excuse to get a new windshield rather than cry. Most every windshield gets sand pitted and looks bad driving into the sun. Nothing like starting with a nice clean one.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 09:20 AM   #11
bpwj76
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 530i; 2016 X3 Sdrive28i

Had to get a new windshield for the same reason as the OP. I opted for the Fuyao glass, because that's what the company the dealer used to install glass had in stock. I didn't want to wait for the OEM glass, which I think is Pilkington maybe. Now the HUD has a halo (double vision) effect going on.

I would go with the OEM brand next time.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 09:53 AM   #12
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

nooooo, feel for ya OP.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 12:01 PM   #13
BMWfan73
Lord of Glencoe
United_States
Rep

I opted to visit a glass business yesterday and they fixed both chips/cracks for $55. The bottom corner chip has been reduced to the size of a small dot. The one in the center is *almost* gone, but you can still see the semi-circle around it. My biggest concern is winter is fast approaching and wanted them sealed so ice can't form inside and create bigger problems.
      10-13-2020, 12:05 PM   #14
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan73 View Post
I opted to visit a glass business yesterday and they fixed both chips/cracks for $55. The bottom corner has been reduced to the size of a small dot. The one in the center is *almost* gone, but you can still see the semi-circle around it. My biggest concern is winter is fast approaching and wanted them sealed so ice can't form inside and create bigger problems.
Great to hear!

If you do replace the glass, consider applying a clear paint protection 3M vinyl film (Xpel) to the glass surface. Acts the same a phone screen protector. If you apply it on a chipped or dinged windshield it may not adhere properly and you'll get bubbles. Regardless this would help prevent some glass damage, although I don't have firsthand experience. Next time I have to get a new windshield though I plan on doing this after a friend who works in a shop recommended it.

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 09:58 AM   #15
BMWfan73
Lord of Glencoe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT_Addict View Post
Great to hear!

If you do replace the glass, consider applying a clear paint protection 3M vinyl film (Xpel) to the glass surface. Acts the same a phone screen protector. If you apply it on a chipped or dinged windshield it may not adhere properly and you'll get bubbles. Regardless this would help prevent some glass damage, although I don't have firsthand experience. Next time I have to get a new windshield though I plan on doing this after a friend who works in a shop recommended it.
Interesting to know... .thanks, I'll check it out.
      10-16-2020, 04:41 PM   #16
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

On my first road trip a couple months after buying my 2015. New from factory. I got a rock in the windshield. Could see the glare off of it.

When I returned home, I noticed that it as a bump instead of a pit. Luckily, it turned out to be a piece of the rock that somehow stuck. Scrapped it out, and barely noticeable. 6 years later, I wouldn't be able to find it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 11:34 AM   #17
Greenman7612
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW 740iL

Garage List
2017 BMW X3 si  [0.00]
2013 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
I was going to suggest that you investigate a repair vs a replacement. I had Safelite repair my latest ding on 2017 X3. It went very well but i don't have the Heads Up Display.
I'm glad it worked out for you.
When I lived in TX, it seems that windshields get broken all the time. The dealer in Lubbock also farmed out the glass replacement. I had the one on my 2011 X3 changed out at Safelite there because that this where the dealer took their cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 09:55 PM   #18
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
I always opt for the glass policy rider on my auto insurance. For many years, across multiple vehicles, and at least with Progressive and Nationwide I'm always surprised by how cheap it is. No-brainer cheap. Zero deductible, always gone through Safelite with good results, no complaints on 3 claims - two replacements, one repair. I've gotten the impression that I could put my foot down and say that a repair isn't going to be satisfactory, and they would make me happy, but I haven't had to press it.
I researched a little with the HUD I now have in our F25, and I'm under the impression that it's covered too. Whether that means I can put my foot down and say it has to be a dealer job, or at minimum OEM glass... well maybe I'll call Nationwide and find out, although hopefully I never have to find out.

Anyways, talk to your insurance company.
Appreciate 0