BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-19-2020, 11:33 AM   #1
Martin Strauss
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 XDrive 35i

Woodpecker / Creaking Sound right before coming to a Stop. Doesn't happen in Neutral.

Lately I have noticed a (1 sec long) very faint creaking sound coming from underneath my X3 just before I come to a complete stop. Not sure if it could be driveshaft, timing chain, transfer case, or tensioner pulley. Tensioner pulley was replaced roughly 8,000 miles ago, but new one does have slight play at idle and faint continuous running sound unless it is another pulley making that noise at idle. That sound is not the question and can only be heard from outside the car standing by the hood. What could be causing the slightest creaking (metal winding down) sound from my car just before stopping for stop sign or red light. Does not happen in neutral so I'm thinking I ruled out bearings brakes and bushings, but still could be either of those if the idle is wanting to push the car through braking.

Last edited by Martin Strauss; 10-21-2020 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0