BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
jsplayin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

No spare tire reasoning?

I really have to question BMW\'s decision to not include a spare tire on a utility vehicle like the x3. I just looked under the back and there is a ton of room underneath to fit a muffler to either side and leave room for a spare tire if they chose to. And the weight saving excuse of not lugging around a spare tire goes out the window when you consider that the factory 19\" with RFT weigh in at a whopping 69lbs! Compared to the 18\" with standard tires I just put on for the winter that are 52lbs. So that\'s 68 lbs of unsprung weight that I\'m lugging around instead of a spare tire? Um, I\'d rather have the spare please.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Botwin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 WRX Limited

Agreed! The X5 offers a spare as a $150 option.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsplayin View Post
I really have to question BMW\'s decision to not include a spare tire on a utility vehicle like the x3. I just looked under the back and there is a ton of room underneath to fit a muffler to either side and leave room for a spare tire if they chose to. And the weight saving excuse of not lugging around a spare tire goes out the window when you consider that the factory 19\" with RFT weigh in at a whopping 69lbs! Compared to the 18\" with standard tires I just put on for the winter that are 52lbs. So that\'s 68 lbs of unsprung weight that I\'m lugging around instead of a spare tire? Um, I\'d rather have the spare please.
i agree. the run-flats/no spare was a major sticking point for me, making me really hesitate about making the purchase. ultimately i went ahead, but i too think it's a major argument against the vehicle.

since you're going to be going without the run-flats, will you carrying a spare and a jack? if so, where?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
jsplayin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I purchased a slime kit with a small air compressor which should be suitable for some emergencies. But for the most part we don't travel far from home and i could easily get a spare from home dropped off if needed. On long trips I will prob bring a spare and jack.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

I much prefer the RFT to a spare. Getting a flat is not a big deal at all with RFT's. With a spare it is a major pain. I have had 2 flats since getting my car in May and I'm not looking back.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

The issue from my perspective is safety. It's much safer for my wife, who drives the X3 90% of the time, to have RFT's than trying to fix a tire or change wheels in an unsafe neighborhood or when the weather is -20F.

If the X3 was a sports car it would be different.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
The issue from my perspective is safety. It's much safer for my wife, who drives the X3 90% of the time, to have RFT's than trying to fix a tire or change wheels in an unsafe neighborhood or when the weather is -20F.

good point, and one i hadn't considered.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
chaz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 3.8 Alpine White s

I'd love a spare tire but thats what AAA or roadside assistance is for. I guarantee that when i have to replace the tires they won't be run flats
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

I agree. The no spare /run flat only solution falls apart when you're in the middle of nowhere (as in no cell coverage) and more than 50 miles away from any services.

There should be a spare available and a place to put it.

Run flats (if you wanted them) and a spare for the x3 would be the best of both worlds.

I was in Oregon's outback and if we'd gotten a flat we'd been in big trouble as there was nothing within miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

I don't accept runflats at all. Here in Australia once you have left one of the (six) state capitals there is next to no support for the repair and even less support for the replacement of runflats. With the amount of country driving we do this was not acceptable. However I was not going to let this issue stop me in the purchase of the X3. Our solution is that on delivery the four runflats were replaced with conventional tyres with a fifth full size spare tied down in the back. It doesn't take up that much room and we (the two of us plus 2 dogs on the back seats) have already being on two long distance trips (2,000 km each) with a third coming up over Christmas with enough room in the back to take our luggage.

This solution is obviously not going to suit everyone, but for us its just fine.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #11
jsplayin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul386 View Post
I much prefer the RFT to a spare. Getting a flat is not a big deal at all with RFT's. With a spare it is a major pain. I have had 2 flats since getting my car in May and I'm not looking back.
May I ask if you had to replace the tires completely both times, or were they able to plug them? If you replaced them then that's a pretty significant cost for convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post

Agreed, in this example you are 100% right, my wife is the driver of our car as well. But my concern was with safety too when buying snow tires and I wanted studless snow tires for maximum safety not performance winter tires, I have yet to find one that is available as a RFT. I figured the chances of snow are 99.9% this winter, but the chances of a flat are 2 in the past 10 years for us so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torzeck View Post
I agree. The no spare /run flat only solution falls apart when you're in the middle of nowhere (as in no cell coverage) and more than 50 miles away from any services.

There should be a spare available and a place to put it.

Run flats (if you wanted them) and a spare for the x3 would be the best of both worlds.

I was in Oregon's outback and if we'd gotten a flat we'd been in big trouble as there was nothing within miles.
I'd be happy with just a hole in the trunk to put a spare if needed.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #12
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Msport

Safety - Changing a spare in the middle of no where or with traffic or in the hood.

Convenience - If you're late for an appointment or to the airport, this will not delay you even more

Efficiency- No spare = less weight=better fuel consumption, part of BMW efficient Dynamics
2006 BMW 330i - //M rep kit with custom exhaust, H&R springs, 19" VMR - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #13
Botwin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 WRX Limited

Considering the fact that dealers/tire stores may have to order a replacement RFT, I was thinking of buying a tire now, and storing it somewhere. If/when I ruin a tire, at least I will have the replacement and it can be installed right away. Does this make sense?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #14
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botwin View Post
Considering the fact that dealers/tire stores may have to order a replacement RFT, I was thinking of buying a tire now, and storing it somewhere. If/when I ruin a tire, at least I will have the replacement and it can be installed right away. Does this make sense?
Makes perfect sense! Especially if you are carrying an odd ball size ( M SPorts)

I think I might do that too!
2006 BMW 330i - //M rep kit with custom exhaust, H&R springs, 19" VMR - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #15
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botwin View Post
Good idea as long as it's not overly worn. If its repairable its best to patch it. BMW wants tread wear to be similar between the left and right tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #16
jsplayin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy yen View Post
Safety - Changing a spare in the middle of no where or with traffic or in the hood. TURE

Convenience - If you're late for an appointment or to the airport, this will not delay you even more TRUE

Efficiency- No spare = less weight=better fuel consumption, part of BMW efficient Dynamics FALSE, read first post
There's lots to like about the convenience of RFT, and my intention was not originally to argue against their use. More so I'm against the concept of being forced one way against my better judgment. After all anybody can get RFT installed on any car, but not necessarily vice versa if you don't have storage for a spare that could have easily been incorporated in the first place. BMW reminds me of Apple a lot, where they make an awesome product and then try to convince you that you can live without Flash or a firewire port lol.. sure I will love RFT, no dipstick, an electric parking brake, and turn signals and windshield wiper that don't click into place.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #17
blazerjd
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsplayin View Post
I have a 2006 BMW X3 and it has a spare tire underneath the rear. next to the muffler. so maybe some don't and other do? I have the premium package
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 04:05 AM   #18
ozbmwx3
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
I don't accept runflats at all. Here in Australia once you have left one of the (six) state capitals there is next to no support for the repair and even less support for the replacement of runflats. With the amount of country driving we do this was not acceptable. However I was not going to let this issue stop me in the purchase of the X3. Our solution is that on delivery the four runflats were replaced with conventional tyres with a fifth full size spare tied down in the back. It doesn't take up that much room and we (the two of us plus 2 dogs on the back seats) have already being on two long distance trips (2,000 km each) with a third coming up over Christmas with enough room in the back to take our luggage.

This solution is obviously not going to suit everyone, but for us its just fine.

Tony
I agree. We have some large open spaces here in Oz with long distances to travel with no BMW dealers in sight. I'm planning to head off to Monkey Mia, which is 850Klms north of Perth, later this year and will be taking a spare tyre with me.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 04:18 AM   #19
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerjd View Post
I have a 2006 BMW X3 and it has a spare tire underneath the rear. next to the muffler. so maybe some don't and other do? I have the premium package
Different model (E83), pre run-flat days, certainly here in the UK.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 06:07 AM   #20
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Here in the UK the advice leasing companies go with is to replace the tyre after any puncture. The logic seems to be that if you drive on a punctured RFT the inner walls of the tyres will be damaged. So by not having a spare tyre we are forced into having to replace tyres following a puncture. Most tyre places won't repair RFTs, though I'm sure some will.

Last edited by clivem2; 01-24-2013 at 06:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #21
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

My brother just bought a 2013 mustang gt and it doesn't have a spare tire either... And on his car there is a spot in the trunk for one. Maybe it is about the manufacturers saving a nickel.
      01-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #22
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
Here in the UK the advice leasing companies go with is to replace the tyre after any puncture. The logic seems to be that if you drive on a punctured RFT the inner walls of the tyres will be damaged. So by not having a spare tyre we are forced into having to replace tyres following a puncture. Most tyre places won't repair RFTs, though I'm sure some will.
There has to be caution, as we do use up the run-on-flat capacity if we don't know the pressure and control it, if we have a puncture.

I carry a compressor and would certainly attempt to hold up the pressure, to get more mileage from the run-on-capacity (if necessary) to get out of trouble. But very cautious of a compromised tire, if used in real anger. I could never trust it myself.

On my current car I'm keeping with RFTS, the last car I took them off and had all the issues with carrying a spare in the boot space, etc., particularly on remote trips from home.

This time I've taken out tire insurance with a "replace if punctured" policy. I still carry the compressor, but at least I know if used in anger I can run on without cost penalty. Will only take one incident to pay for the insurance, and with two sets of wheels, seems a wise decision to cover tyres, summer and winter, with tires that cost over £250 a pop.

I was speaking with my local tire shop, (several outlets) and they will not repair RFTs, both on the liability issue, and customers lie about the use after a warning gong, so can't be trusted. The "I've only driven a couple of miles" comment, when clearly the tire is just about holding together. So their policy is blanket cover, "can't and won't" risk any repair.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0