BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-19-2015, 10:58 PM   #1
jxterma
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 x3 35i

Can your brake pedal go almost to the floor with engine running?

I've recently done my brake job and started noticing the brake pedal can be pushed almost to the floor(stops at 1'' to 1.5'' above the floor) under steady hard force with engine running and gear in P.
It's not a sinking feeling. I had to really stand on it to make it go that low.
Pumping the brake when engine is off makes the pedal rock hard.

I mean brake feels okay during driving.
Is this normal? Does anyone experience the same?
Perhaps the pedal did the same before, but I have never checked. Every little thing can easily get me paranoid after brake change
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 11:21 AM   #2
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Did you bleed the brakes?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #3
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

By chance did you remove the brake reservoir cap when doing your brakes? if so, did you depress pedal with it off, then install before driving?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 12:34 AM   #4
jxterma
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
Did you bleed the brakes?
Yes, I had the brakes power-bled 3 times.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 12:43 AM   #5
jxterma
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
By chance did you remove the brake reservoir cap when doing your brakes? if so, did you depress pedal with it off, then install before driving?
I did not remove the cap completely when doing the front brakes(removed completed when doing the rear ones on a different day), just loosed it up and wrapped it around with towel for excessive fluid. Could this be a problem? I remember it was a bit harder to push the pistons in for the front brakes.
I did put the cap on and tightened it before driving.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 12:54 AM   #6
jxterma
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Ah, yes I depressed brake pedal a few times with cap off when checking if there was too much fluid. The brakes were bled 3 times because brakes did feel soft at the beginning, then it got much better after bleeding, but I don't remember I was able to depress the pedal that low with engine running.
There has to be something I did wrong. Hope I didn't break anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #7
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Caveat....I have not bled brakes in 45 years. So the response is based on some general knowledge that will hopefully led you in the right direction. I maybe totally correct or totally wrong or somewhere in between!

First if your brakes were bled three times, they were bled improperly or you have something wrong. The first time should have been enough. When you say "Power Bled". Does that mean they hooked a positive pressure system so the job could be done by one person rather than two? In speaking with my local indy mechanic he uses a computer to open and close the ABS gates when bleeding. I'm kinda thinking that did't happen with your bleeding. Here's why. I believe that ABS is actuated under fast hard braking, not slow steady braking. So when your driving and they feel more normal the ABS is probably kicking in, but in the driveway under slow steady pedal pressure it's not kicking end. To fix this, a proper brake would do it.

Again I basing my thoughts on the typewriter, vinyl record and rotary phone era. I could be full of it!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 07:56 PM   #8
jxterma
Canada
Rep

Some experience will just always be true. Thanks for sharing.
I did not bleed ABS. Maybe I should. My Indi told me if there is any air, it will be pumped by ABS out of system to master cylinder and eventually bubbling out. On Saturday, I used wood block against the seat to depress the pedal and left it overnight. It gets a little better now.
I consulted mechanic from another shop and they said it's normal with all X model, even X5. Not sure if this is indeed the case. I never really pressed the pedal all the way down before the brake change. Are you able to depress the pedal to 1-2 inches above floor on your X3?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 11:43 PM   #9
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

LOL...my does the same thing!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 04:54 PM   #10
jxterma
Canada