BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #111
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
Yeah, most are but seemingly the Meguiars spray ones, like the ultimate quik spray, doesn't contain 'wax' - but this one does.

I ordered a bottle today and will test it out this weekend.
Here are some links to Meguiar's web site that might answer your questions.

General Questions
http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cf...t=Paint%20Care

Polish vs Wax
http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cf...ection=_51#_51
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #112
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Here are some links to Meguiar's web site that might answer your questions.

General Questions
http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cf...t=Paint%20Care

Polish vs Wax
http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cf...ection=_51#_51
Thanks!

I found another site online that basically covered some of those exact comparisons as to why X might be better than Y.

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 11:18 PM   #113
509trooper
Staff Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Quote:
Thanks!

I found another site online that basically covered some of those exact comparisons as to why X might be better than Y.

Please share!
      06-29-2011, 08:38 AM   #114
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509trooper View Post
Please share!
I'll go back in my history and find it - it was on my iPad - but it was on another site very similar to AutoGeek.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #115
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

After a quick wash and some Zaino.
Attached Images

06-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #116
flash3
Captain
Rep

Nice!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #117
509trooper
Staff Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Quote:
Nice!
Agreed, looks beautiful!
      06-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #118
flash3
Captain
Rep

What did you use on your wheels?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #119
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks. Used Zaino Z-2 and Z-CS previously, but nothing on this wash. Planning to try the Wheel Wax next. Any experience with that stuff?

Last edited by Nahoa; 07-01-2011 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 07:09 AM   #120
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Just received my new 3" orbital, polish and wax pads, paint prep (removes wax and sealants when you don't want to wash the whole vehicle with Dawn). Three day weekend, no plans, wife is away.... looks like a long detailing weekend in the garage!!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #121
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

About to do the wheels with P21s and then Wheel Wax. Anyone have experience with these products? Recommendations on use? Any thoughts on throwing Zaino Z-CS over the Wheel Wax as I do with the Z-2 on the rest of the car? I'm thinking not since it seems like it's the qualities of the Wheel Wax itself that's supposed to reduce adhesion of brake dust and the Z-CS would put a layer in between. Only considering it based on the protection the Z-CS gives to the Z-2 on the rest of the car.
      07-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #122
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
If I need more than just the car wash soap for the wheels and tires, I generally use Simple Green (amazing stuff). I do have wheel cleaner and rubber cleaner also, but tend to reach for the S.G.

I just use regular sealant/wax on the wheels - same thing the car gets. It doesn't have a long life on wheels, you usually have to apply it twice as often at least.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #123
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Suitably inspired by LZ and Nahoa, I washed, clayed and waxed my X3 today. Took about 6 hours and I still haven't done the inside! Some pics below

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #124
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well, tried the P21S stuff. Won't spend the money on that again. End up manually removing the stuff just as before but end up with a bunch of product on my hands and tools. Will try the Simple Green thing next time.

Bailed on the Wheel Wax, too. Read the directions and it said "Apply every 4-6 weeks". That didn't sound so good. I've had better luck with the Zaino products. So, I cleaned them (with the P21S which I could have done without) and dried them. Then applied Zaino AIO (All In One), let it set, buffed it out and gave it some time. Later applied Z-CS fairly liberally (not part of the Zaino recommendations) but buffed it out so there were no puddles or drops left to dry. After that sat for a bit I finished up with the Z-8 detailer. Seems like detailers generally aren't so durable, but this stuff also leaves a super slick surface so I thought it might be worth a shot on combating the brake dust.

Also added two coats of Z-2 to the car. Finished with Z-CS and Z-8. I think it has a good base now so I can wash and detail for a bit and then refresh occasionally with additional coats of Z-2 and Z-CS. So shiny I kinda wish I had my jet black 330i back . . . but then this whole process would have involved a LOT more work and stress about swirls marks!!

Last edited by Nahoa; 07-02-2011 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #125
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Was typing while you were posting, sfax.

Looks great! What did you use outside? I've not done the inside much, either. Still combating the "production slime" on the interior windows. Thinking I might tackle that again on Monday. Vacuum out the dog hair and clean/treat the leather.

Anyone done their leather yet? Any trouble with the contrast stitching? Any color bleeding?
      07-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #126
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Oh, I do have to add a bit of a whine. I might be getting old or something, but those 309's are harder to clean than I expected. The small "v" toward the center is a bit of a pain, and the corners on the outside seem to collect a lot more stubborn stuff than I recall on previous BMWs. Might just be getting old and soft, though . . . .
      07-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #127
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Was typing while you were posting, sfax.

Looks great! What did you use outside? I've not done the inside much, either. Still combating the "production slime" on the interior windows. Thinking I might tackle that again on Monday. Vacuum out the dog hair and clean/treat the leather.

Anyone done their leather yet? Any trouble with the contrast stitching? Any color bleeding?
Outside is Meguiars shampoo and then Zaino all in one wax. Only one coat today as claying took quite a while beforehand (used Sonus Ultra Fine Detailing Clay and a detailing spray - first time I've clayed and was surprised by how much hidden dirt and contaminates it picks up - in a good way, and I like the fact you can feel how smooth the paintwork is afterwards)

I've got some autoglym leather cleaner which I'll try out tomorrow. I put some Zaino on the wheels too today. I have previously applied a few coats of Poorboys wheel wax but they still get very dirty from brake dust very quickly and I agree they are a bitch to clean!! Like a very pretty blonde: look great but high maintenance

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #128
11x35SapphireBlk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3.5 Black Sapphire

An AVID car enthusiast and car detailer (my own mainly and occasionally for a friend or relative). I have used many products over the years. Zaino is good, Autogeek carries a lot of options that are good. I move around from time to time just for a change. I always keep Zaino on hand, some Griots Garage products, some Meguiars, Optimum and some Wolfgang. I think they are all good.
Results depend on the user. Some people have fits with Zaino. I have no issues with it. If you are looking for a quick fix or easy way out set of car care products then I dont think any of these will work for you. Go pay a detailer. I get people asking me all the time what products I use as they want to replicate what I have. Unfortunately it is effort and elbow grease as much as the product selection.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 07:47 AM   #129
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Suitably inspired by LZ and Nahoa, I washed, clayed and waxed my X3 today. Took about 6 hours and I still haven't done the inside! Some pics below
Beautiful sfax! Nicely done. 6 hours... yes, I know what you mean. I spent about 9 hours on the X5 yesterday (Black Sapphire). I gave it a good wash with Dawn (brand of dishwashing detergent that strips away all waxes and sealants), then used clay in a few areas, then polished out a few areas, polished the entire hood twice (going from light medium to fine), then two coats of Griot's Paint Sealant and finally, a coat of carnuba wax on top of that. The orbital makes it easier, but it is still hard work! But the results... ah... so nice.

To celebrate, I gave the X3 it's weekly bath. Today.... yard work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Oh, I do have to add a bit of a whine. I might be getting old or something, but those 309's are harder to clean than I expected. The small "v" toward the center is a bit of a pain, and the corners on the outside seem to collect a lot more stubborn stuff than I recall on previous BMWs. Might just be getting old and soft, though . . . .
Yep. I knew the moment I saw those 309's that they would be a bitch to clean. My X5 M Sport summer wheels have a Y spoke pattern, and they are tough. The 369M's on the X3 M Sport however, are a joy. Soooo easy to clean. Also, because I have them sealed, most of the brake dust rinses away. I could recommend a few tools to help, if you're interested. But I don't want it to seem like I'm pushing any particular products.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #130
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Appreciate any recommendations. I have a small lambswool thing with a handle that I thought would work, but it doesn't quite do it. So far a cloth has done the best job. Have the sealant on there, too, so it's mostly a question of getting to each spot rather than struggling to remove gunk. That is, except those "corners" on the outside. Not sure why they're collecting so much stubborn stuff. Maybe now that I've treated them more they'll be easier.
      07-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #131
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Yes, those hard corners on some BMW wheels can be a bitch to clean. The 369M's have become my favorite in terms of cleaning, but on my E90 I had 159's that were great too because they had a teardrop design and NO corners!

Griot's Garage has a wheel cleaning tool that is like a stove-top cleaning pad on a stick... good for getting into corners and reaching the full depth of the wheel without killing your hands. They also have "four finger mitt" of sheepskin that I"ve recently started using and really like.

Here are a few pics of the fruits of my labor yesterday... I know it's not the X3, so forgive me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #132
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wow. Looks great! Love the reflection of the BMW emblem.