BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-01-2016, 07:18 AM   #1
Raw_Oyster
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

New BMW X3 owner and member.

Happy New year to all, here is my first post

I started my vehicle search couple of weeks ago and narrowed my choices to the following:
Lexus NX200t, MB GLC300 and BMW X3. After test driving all of them my decision was between the GLC300 and X3. Both of these vehicles are amazing and honestly the GLC was my top choice, but the decision came down to which dealership wanted the deal the most ($$$) and BMW San Antonio offered me a better deal. The price difference between the two offers was a little bit more than $6,000 (basically same packages). Also, the free maintenance for three years BMW is offering is very important to me since I am in the military and sometimes I have to be away from home for extended periods of time. Here is my deal:

2016 X3 sDrive28i
Melbourne Red Metallic with Saddle Brown interior
MSRP: $47,195
Sales Price: 42,505 + ttl= 45,586
Options: Driver assistance package, Premium Package, 19" Alloy double spoke wheels, Navigation System, and free maintenance 4/50k
Dealer: BMW of San Antonio, TX
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 07:37 AM   #2
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

hello and happy new year to you too!

Wonderful car and wonderful color choice, looks great even at night.

Last edited by Portimao318; 01-01-2016 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 02:27 PM   #3
Scandic24
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X4 30d MSport

Congrats! Enjoy your new BMW! :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 05:24 PM   #4
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Welcome to the BMW X3 forum, and congratulations on your purchase. This is a great forum which allows folks with a lot of experience with the X3 to share ideas, so hopefully you will find some helpful tips to maximize your X3's potential.

As we sometimes discuss the competition in the X3's class, and the reasons for such, I'm curious as to what you experienced with the GLC that made it your first choice, if not for the selling price. With the 2017 BMW X3 G01 model projected to arrive fairly soon (which many of us are anxiously awaiting), it would be interesting to hear what attracted you to the GLC, and whether we think (that is the key word) BMW is going to provide that in the X3's next iteration.

Happy New Year and best wishes for many great times in your new X3.

Max
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 12:02 AM   #5
Raw_Oyster
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Welcome to the BMW X3 forum, and congratulations on your purchase. This is a great forum which allows folks with a lot of experience with the X3 to share ideas, so hopefully you will find some helpful tips to maximize your X3's potential.

As we sometimes discuss the competition in the X3's class, and the reasons for such, I'm curious as to what you experienced with the GLC that made it your first choice, if not for the selling price. With the 2017 BMW X3 G01 model projected to arrive fairly soon (which many of us are anxiously awaiting), it would be interesting to hear what attracted you to the GLC, and whether we think (that is the key word) BMW is going to provide that in the X3's next iteration.

Happy New Year and best wishes for many great times in your new X3.

Max
The reasons why the GLC was my top choice are:
1. Since I considered myself a "Geek" when it comes to technology, the GLC has a better navigation interface, the scroll buttons pad is a thing of beauty, and better smartphone applications
2. The cabin on the GLC looks more contemporary than the one on the X3. Hopefully BMW comes with something similar for the new X3
3. The seats material and comfort in my opinion are better in the GLC

Those are my honest observations. Thank you for your reply.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 06:31 PM   #6
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Thank you for sharing your thought process.

I would suggest that without a doubt BMW will have addressed those issues in the G01.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 09:04 PM   #7
bmwx3805
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 cruze diesel and 2019 430I

from a proud plant Spartanburg line worker I hope you have many years of happiness in your SC built x3.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #8
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx3805 View Post
from a proud plant Spartanburg line worker I hope you have many years of happiness in your SC built x3.
One of a couple reasons I chose the X3 over the 3 series wagon was the built here in the US factor

I just wish I could have arranged a visit to SC to pick it up.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 05:43 PM   #9
bmwx3805
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 cruze diesel and 2019 430I

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
One of a couple reasons I chose the X3 over the 3 series wagon was the built here in the US factor

I just wish I could have arranged a visit to SC to pick it up.
pcd is an experience I highly recommend. its something you'll never forget and its one heck of a fun way to pick up your new bimmer!!! I did pcd and loved it!!!!!!!!! but as far s it being made in the USA. that's also one of the reasons I bought one. once mine hits 120,000 miles my next x3 is going to be diesel.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 06:01 PM   #10
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw_Oyster View Post
Happy New year to all, here is my first post

I started my vehicle search couple of weeks ago and narrowed my choices to the following:
Lexus NX200t, MB GLC300 and BMW X3. After test driving all of them my decision was between the GLC300 and X3. Both of these vehicles are amazing and honestly the GLC was my top choice, but the decision came down to which dealership wanted the deal the most ($$$) and BMW San Antonio offered me a better deal. The price difference between the two offers was a little bit more than $6,000 (basically same packages). Also, the free maintenance for three years BMW is offering is very important to me since I am in the military and sometimes I have to be away from home for extended periods of time. Here is my deal:

2016 X3 sDrive28i
Melbourne Red Metallic with Saddle Brown interior
MSRP: $47,195
Sales Price: 42,505 + ttl= 45,586
Options: Driver assistance package, Premium Package, 19" Alloy double spoke wheels, Navigation System, and free maintenance 4/50k
Dealer: BMW of San Antonio, TX
Thanks for your service and congrats on your new X3!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 07:53 PM   #11
happy_chrissy
Rookie
Rep
Drives: 2015' X3 28i

Quote:
1. Since I considered myself a "Geek" when it comes to technology, the GLC has a better navigation interface, the scroll buttons pad is a thing of beauty, and better smartphone applications
2. The cabin on the GLC looks more contemporary than the one on the X3. Hopefully BMW comes with something similar for the new X3

How do you like the GLC now? I am on thinking of trading in my 2015 X3 for the GLC. I also heard that some dealerships have given more money towards the X3 trade in vs the BMW dealer!

I enjoy driving the X3 but the interior of the X3 looks dated compared to the GLC. I wouldn't have noticed it if I was not looking at the GLC.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 11:54 PM   #12
dchamero
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

Garage List
Quote:

The thing I really don't like about the GLC interior is the Screen... for me it looks like an afterthought, like just a tablet on top of an existing interior... it looks like something you added later instead of an integrated one....
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 12:13 AM   #13
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchamero View Post
The thing I really don't like about the GLC interior is the Screen... for me it looks like an afterthought, like just a tablet on top of an existing interior... it looks like something you added later instead of an integrated one....
Well you had better hang on to your F25 X3 then. The spy shots of the interior of the next generation G01 X3 show a free-standing infotainment screen on top of the dash just like the GLC (and many other cars).

However it is interesting to read this X3 vs GLC interior discussion. My personal dislike of the GLC's interior centres mainly around those large in-your-face chromed circular air vents. They (and of course the iPad screen) distract from what is a beautifully crafted interior. In my mind its the sort of styling that might have some short term appeal, but since we first saw them in the C-Class, have aged quickly. BMW interiors, while not setting the world on fire (that crown perhaps lies with Audi and Volvo's new generation models), are functional and have (IMO) stood the test of time. I was particularly interested in the OP's preference of the GLC's COMMAND system over BMW's i-Drive system. I very much to take the opposite view - in recent years I've found BMW's system arguably the benchmark for others to follow in terms of functionality and simplicity. Maybe MB have lifted their game in this regard.

Tony
Appreciate 0