BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #1
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

lug bolt won't go in hole

I went to have my snow tires that are mounted on BMW wheels put on yesterday. When I picked up the X3, the guy at the front desk asked ifI had some front endwork done recently. Not a good sign.Then he reached into he folder and handed me a lug bolt that looked like there was some damage on the first few threads. Otherwise the bolt looked ok. He said the tech had a hard time taking it out and didn't want to force it after he tried putting i back in. he said he tried a different bolt and it didn't wantto go in as well. They were the last people to have the wheel off when I bought new tires back in Sept. So it stands to reason that they are at fault but how am I going to prove that. So aside from that, i have an appt at the dealer on Monday to see if this can be rectified. If the threads are stripped on the hub, what are my options? How much is a new hub? Can the threads be re-tapped and cleaned up? The timing couldn't be worse. I'm leaving on a road trip on Xmas and this is Xmas week. I hope this can be fixed and not cost me arm and leg Monday.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
BOSSBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Had this happen to me at a Mavis discount tire once. I ripped them apart and they ended up replacing the wheel hub (not happy that they used an aftermarket part, but otherwise I'd have had to leave the car.)

I recall it being around $250, but this was on an E90.

Actually I believe below is the part for the F25...

http://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/201...iagram=1936320