BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-24-2021, 12:35 PM   #1
ramda2021
Rep
Drives: BMW x3 F25 20d

Right and left grilles X3/X4 interchangeability & open vs closed

Hello people,

Anyone knows if the F26 xLine right and left grilles (the ones under the fog lights, I guess that's how they're called) fit the F25 xLine bumper? To me, the X4 side grilles look a lot better because they are bigger (i.e. higher), reducing a bit the too much space between the fog lights and the grilles. It looks more aggressive, yet still retaining (imo) a classier look than the M-sport.
If they don't fit, could there be any aftermarket side grilles for F25 xLine that go higher up, like the F26's?

That aside, just out of curiosity: reading on the forum here I understand open right and left bumper grilles (well, partly open - I understand none can be completely open) help cool the oil cooler. I just wonder - why aren't all of them open if air flow (and thereby heat reduction) is good for the engine and brakes?

Thanks.

PS: I'm not that lazy, I've tried to find this info on the web but no luck. I've called a BMW parts dealer and he said he needs the VIN number of BOTH cars (wtf, I've only got an X3 and I can't just look around on the street for an X4 and ask for his VIN number). The authorized dealers found the question too difficult and raised their shoulders and from BMW.de I'm still waiting for an answer after a week. The pictures I've seen on the net with the back of a closed X4 side grille seem to have the attaching clips on the bottom side and the lower half of both lateral sides, which makes me hope they could fit an X3 and they just go higher up on the bumper.
Attached Images

Last edited by ramda2021; 11-24-2021 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 12:54 PM   #2
dtox9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 F15

Looks to me like you'd need to swap out the entire bumper cover.
Appreciate 0