BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
lotus18
Rep
Drives: 2013 x3

privacy issue about personal address in the nav

i am wondering if there's any way to prevent the mechanic or the valet from peeping the personal addresses i entered into the nav system? can i set up a password or anything? please help...thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

I presume this is your home address. The recommendation is not to enter your home address, enter a location close by but not exact.
I use the next street to mine as my home.
A mechanic would normally have your home address??

Do you mean other addresses? I don't think there is a way to block them. You'd have to clear them out for security.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
lotus18
Rep

thanks for the reply.

i am just curious why bmw didnt think of that when designed the nav system. coz my other honda nav used to make me type the password i set to retrieve any personal info...

it is very troublesome having to erase the personal or friends' addresses every time taking the car to the mechanic or being driven by the valet, makes me think twice before i input anything anything...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 03:34 AM   #4
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus18 View Post
thanks for the reply.

i am just curious why bmw didnt think of that when designed the nav system. coz my other honda nav used to make me type the password i set to retrieve any personal info...

it is very troublesome having to erase the personal or friends' addresses every time taking the car to the mechanic or being driven by the valet, makes me think twice before i input anything anything...
Interesting point .... Personally I would find it more of a pain to enter a password each time I wanted to unlock the nav. My 5 series nav does not have names (or any other personal data) attached to my nav destinations, I wonder what use a valet might find from a list of destinations ?

MS
      04-15-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
I presume this is your home address. The recommendation is not to enter your home address, enter a location close by but not exact.
I use the next street to mine as my home.
A mechanic would normally have your home address??

Do you mean other addresses? I don't think there is a way to block them. You'd have to clear them out for security.
+1 Don't use your exact home address. This is more to stop car thieves who go on to burgle your house with your keys than for dodgy mechanics

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
This is more to stop car thieves who go on to burgle your house with your keys than for dodgy mechanics
Thats another issue completely ....... leaving your house keys with a mechanic or a valet driver ..... any main dealer I have used or valet company will only ever take your car key from you !

MS
      04-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
lotus18
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukstevens View Post
Interesting point .... Personally I would find it more of a pain to enter a password each time I wanted to unlock the nav. My 5 series nav does not have names (or any other personal data) attached to my nav destinations, I wonder what use a valet might find from a list of destinations ?

MS
no pain at all....actually my honda's nav only asked for password if needed to go into personal profile, normal operation needed no password.

anyway, it's a plus if bmw would have added that function in the nav and also if i can add a password to protect my other settings in my profile....

wonder if coding can add password function or not..

o, well, guess just have to live with it...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
X3Baller
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

In my nav system you can actually enter the cross street (the intersection, the between streets) instead of the address. For extra security you can enter a cross street blocks away from where you reside.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
EvilGenius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

I am normally a paranoid kinda guy, but reading this post made me rethink that maybe I'm not all that bad. All of you who are worried about some hack clicking around inside your navi DO realize that all they need to do is open your glove compartment and look at your registration if they want your address, right? Personally, I only let a mechanic I trust touching my car, and I don't valet; not because I'm scared of them getting my address but I don't want just any random person driving my car.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone is out to get you

Oh yeah, and edit: first post! yay! lord knows I've been a lurker long enough!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 01:22 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukstevens
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
This is more to stop car thieves who go on to burgle your house with your keys than for dodgy mechanics
Thats another issue completely ....... leaving your house keys with a mechanic or a valet driver ..... any main dealer I have used or valet company will only ever take your car key from you !

MS
Nope, same issue: preventing someone looking at your home address as per the OP's question

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0