BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
carlili4190
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Nissan 350Z, 11 BMW X3

Pricing of the X3

I am just wondering what kind of pricing you guys got on your X3's. I am currently trying to get 4-5% above invoice. Should I be trying to get lower prices or is 4-5% above invoice good for this car?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlili4190 View Post
I am just wondering what kind of pricing you guys got on your X3's. I am currently trying to get 4-5% above invoice. Should I be trying to get lower prices or is 4-5% above invoice good for this car?
Prices are all over the place. If you browse the board here you will see a lot of examples. There are a few threads on this already...
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499547
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494144
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494516
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492215
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlili4190 View Post
MSRP is about 8% above invoice and people have reported being able to get $500 over invoice, meaning around 7% off.

If you are trying to get 4-5% above invoice that means you are only getting 3-4% off? I would try for more unless you need the car now. Go to other dealers and work the pricing. Although I bet the more off they give you the more likely you are to get pushed to the back of the line. You could order your car at $500 above invoice, then 2 weeks later someone could pay 4% more than you and probably get theirs produced first, I wouldn't doubt that happens all the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Options also play a large part in changing that percentage pricing, you'll usually get more off a well optioned car than a base model since the dealer marks up add-ons. For delivery it also depends on if the car is a 28i or 35i, it seems even if both cars are optioned exactly the same you can expect to wait a few weeks to a month longer for the 35i.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
Options also play a large part in changing that percentage pricing, you'll usually get more off a well optioned car than a base model since the dealer marks up add-ons. For delivery it also depends on if the car is a 28i or 35i, it seems even if both cars are optioned exactly the same you can expect to wait a few weeks to a month longer for the 35i.
yeah but if you look at invoice prices online it shows the same markup for options as the base of the car (or close to it), or does the dealer get more kick backs on options than "invoice" shows? Everyone also has to remember invoice isn't what the dealer pays, invoice includes tons of other things that keep the dealership running, like advertising, inventory costs, expenses... Anything above invoice is really pure profit, and from what I have heard usually all the salesguy is paid on (not sure how much he gets, or if they have a base salary too). So when someone gets a car at invoice or just above, don't think the dealer is losing money or not making anything.

Its like when I got $13K off my brand new C63 (right before the new model years came out), I knew that Mercedes was giving the dealers an $8K kickback at the time and I was really just getting $5K off from the dealer, not the full $13K, of course most dealers never told people about the $8K incentive Mercedes was offering and tried to put it all in their pockets (it wasn't easy getting that price), many phone calls and e-mails playing one dealer against another who both had cars in stock they wanted to move...

Even though its a hot car, we really don't know if the dealers are getting kickbacks on the X3 right now, especially on custom high option orders.
Appreciate 0