BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
BMW Disconnected Drive

I would be very interested to learn how many others have one or both of these problems. I don't know whether it is endemic or just a handful of owners/users that have difficulty.

Problem 1: BMW Assist Messages (aka Map Destinations via Google Maps). This has never worked on my X3. It also is not working on my X5 either (same account ID and email address for BMW Assist). I have spoken with BMW Assist several times, and while polite - they are unhelpful. The last time, they admitted there is a problem affecting "a lot of folks" but no idea when it will be resolved. I talked to someone at BMW NA and was told "nothing we can do - that is BMW Assist, an outsourced service supplier".
Okay, just so I have this straight... if you can't send map destinations to your vehicle (a much advertised service/function) it is the responsibility of no one to resolve that. BMW Assist basically says "well, shit happens - what are you gonna do". And BMW NA says "even though it has our name on it, and impacts our brand and reputation, we really don't give a shit. Thanks for playing... please insert $.25 and try again....".
Okay, I can LIVE without the function... I can carry post-it notes to the car with addresses on them and enter them into NAV... and have been doing so. But I shouldn't HAVE to.... there is supposed to be a feature that makes this unnecessary, only it doesn't work. And BMW doesn't care that it doesn't work.

Problem 2: BMW Apps sucks. I'm hopeful that it will suck less in the future, and perhaps some day it might not suck at all... but for now it sucks. I have the BMW App on my iPhone, and it worked a few times, then just stopped working. It will not connect to the vehicle. I rebooted the phone. Nothing. Checked for an updated version of the app (none exists). Deleted and re-installed the app. Nope, didn't do it. I'm not sure if this is the vehicle, the iPhone adapter, the iPhone, or the application. This isn't as frustrating yet as #1, but probably will become so the longer it goes on.

So, curious how many people are affected by these or similar problems.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Sending directions from google maps works just fine on my X3. They initially had my email address wrong (.com instead of .net). One phone call cleared it up and it has been working flawlessly ever since.

I didn’t order the apps package because it’s phone specific. I have a Droid-X, love the phone and don’t want an iPhone or Blackberry. I think it’s very shortsighted to ignore the Android phones, they are gaining a huge share of the market.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
I had my X3 loaner in yesterday to get the Ipod function looked at. It has worked flawlessly for the last month, then it stopped working. It recognizes the IPod, but won't play anything, skip forward or pull up any artwork. Tried my sons latest gen Ipod and the same thing happens. Switched cables just in case and still the same. Dealer looked at it, couldn't get my ipod or my sons to work, but got the Sales managers and another employees to work. They asked if I had synced the Ipods recently (which I had). They blamed it on that. They think the latest version of what is on I-tunes isn't being reconized by the car. WTF? So I asked what the solution is and the service manager said give it time, Apple will fix it or BMW will come up with a solution. Are you kidding me?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
I had my X3 loaner in yesterday to get the Ipod function looked at. It has worked flawlessly for the last month, then it stopped working. It recognizes the IPod, but won't play anything, skip forward or pull up any artwork. Tried my sons latest gen Ipod and the same thing happens. Switched cables just in case and still the same. Dealer looked at it, couldn't get my ipod or my sons to work, but got the Sales managers and another employees to work. They asked if I had synced the Ipods recently (which I had). They blamed it on that. They think the latest version of what is on I-tunes isn't being reconized by the car. WTF? So I asked what the solution is and the service manager said give it time, Apple will fix it or BMW will come up with a solution. Are you kidding me?
That gets back to my beef with making the BMW applications device specific.
How are they to know what is going to change in a month let alone 5-7 years down the line?

I remember in the past they would only guarantee cell phones purchased through them so that they could be assured that their software is compatible.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #5
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They asked if I had synced the Ipods recently (which I had). They blamed it on that. They think the latest version of what is on I-tunes isn't being reconized by the car. WTF? So I asked what the solution is and the service manager said give it time, Apple will fix it or BMW will come up with a solution. Are you kidding me?

I agree, that is ridiculous. But highly possible.

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
I agree, that is ridiculous. But highly possible.
Totally possible but now I can't use the Ipod in the car until there is an update to fix the update! At least I have the hard drive that I use now to listen to my music but there are no song titles or artwork.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Totally possible but now I can't use the Ipod in the car until there is an update to fix the update! At least I have the hard drive that I use now to listen to my music but there are no song titles or artwork.
Can you revert you iOS to the previous version using iTune?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
JBG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012X3 35i, 2018 X3 30i

May I ask what version you were using when it was working? And the version under which it stopped working? I know iTunes has been pestering me to upgrade - I may wait until the car comes in so at least I can experience some degree of success for at least some period of time.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Anybody want to guess how much BMW will want to charge for the update!

Check you id tags with a third party program and see if your artwork comes up. I notice some of the artwork was not showing on thumb drive. Retagged then it came up.

No problems here sending google maps to car.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
scs-X3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Google send to car works fine for me on a PC but no luck with the iPhone or iPad, the option does not come up (definetely a google issue). BMW apps works fine (although not to exciting) and Pandora works great displaying the art work.

I find it hard to believe that iTunes would be the culprit, a iPod/iPhone iOS update ok, but I don't see a sync messing things up. What version of iTunes are you running?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #11
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Try putting non protected mp4 files on a thumb drive circumventing itunes and see if they play with artwork.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #12
X3inator
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Sending google maps works for me using the MyBMWRemote App. You do know the links get sent to the 'Messages' link under Connected Drive, correct? I had trouble finding it initially.

No problems with BMW Apps either, though I don't use it often and either use the iPod-out interface or Pandora.

Only thing that stinks is I have to take off my case every time. Switched to a silicone case to make that easier. Contemplating trying to get a dock extender to work with the snap in adapter...

Last edited by X3inator; 06-16-2011 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #13
scs-X3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3inator View Post
Sending google maps works for me using the MyBMWRemote App. You do know the links get sent to the 'Messages' link under Connected Drive, correct? I had trouble finding it initially.
Thanks for the MyBMWRemote app tip. After some googling, setting up a uk iTunes acct, I installed it and that does the trick with google maps.

I second the silicon case issue with the snap in...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #14
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral Silver

Both work great for me, unless I use the cradle, then it rarely works. I went back to USB.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #15
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth12468 View Post
Can you revert you iOS to the previous version using iTune?
That's what I'm hoping and am going to do some digging on the internet to see if I can go back to what I had.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #16
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBG View Post
May I ask what version you were using when it was working? And the version under which it stopped working? I know iTunes has been pestering me to upgrade - I may wait until the car comes in so at least I can experience some degree of success for at least some period of time.
I don't know what version is was before I updated it to the latest version I can check what the current version is and get back to you on that. I would sync your Ipod, but don't update the version on it if you can help it!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #17
WagonRider
Leo
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 (X3) 28i

Quote:
I don't know what version is was before I updated it to the latest version I can check what the current version is and get back to you on that. I would sync your Ipod, but don't update the version on it if you can help it!
Thrill - If you think the sync to latest itunes is the problem, then you can downgrade to some of the previous versions from apple support site. Here's the link:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/#itunes

Try syncing with, say, itunes 9.2.1 and check if it works.

With iCloud, you wouldn't need to rely on connecting to PC [remember Steve Job's "post-pc" presentation] for syncing anymore.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #18
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just updated to itune 10.3.1. Synced to ipod classic. No problems
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #19
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonRider View Post
Thrill - If you think the sync to latest itunes is the problem, then you can downgrade to some of the previous versions from apple support site. Here's the link:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/#itunes

Try syncing with, say, itunes 9.2.1 and check if it works.

With iCloud, you wouldn't need to rely on connecting to PC [remember Steve Job's "post-pc" presentation] for syncing anymore.
Thanks WagonRider. I'll check into this!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #20
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
I was going to suggest checking your current version so that one of us could verify that it functions. I see that is in progress.

Most likely, you'll discover that the techs just blamed your iPod because that was the easy way out.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #21
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
I was going to suggest checking your current version so that one of us could verify that it functions. I see that is in progress.

Most likely, you'll discover that the techs just blamed your iPod because that was the easy way out.
The messed up issue is that mine or my son's current 4th generation won't work. However, 2 of the employees worked that they hooked up. Neither of the employees had updated versions of I-tunes installed. Whatever the latest version is of I-tunes is what is on my Ipod and it won't work. I'm going to try to revert to an older version and see if it changes things. I'll let everyone know the outcome as soon as I get around to it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #22
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
There were two recent iTunes releases:

10.3 2011-06-06
Adds support for iCloud, allowing automatic downloading of purchased content between iTunes and iOS devices, and downloading previously purchased music. Adds support for iBookstore on the iTunes Store.[108]

10.3.1 2011-06-07
Fixes iOS device syncing bug that occurred to some users while syncing the device.[109]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_version_history

The second one could be the culprit. I haven't updated by iTunes version yet but my iPhone 4 is up to date (v4.3.3) and everything works OK.

From what WTT has described, I would be wary of updating iTunes for the time being. Please let us know if this goes away when you get time to rollback iTunes to a previous version and resync

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0