BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Anyone have a slow leak in their washer fluid?

I assume my car came with a full level of washer fluid, but I thought it was wierd that I had to refill it about 1 month ago after using it 3 whole times. Then, the indicator just came on again last night, after using it maybe twice in a month.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlbrad View Post
I assume my car came with a full level of washer fluid, but I thought it was wierd that I had to refill it about 1 month ago after using it 3 whole times. Then, the indicator just came on again last night, after using it maybe twice in a month.
I've got the same issue. First time it went out way too quickly. Next times it was slower, but still 4-5x the average I've experienced in other cars. And it's not that the tank is small.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

The tank is quite small. I tried to fill up the tank when I first received my car because fluids don't always come full from the factory and a bunch ended up spilling when lifting the cap. I noticed that the tank isn't very deep either.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
I had to fill up the loaner's washer fluid as the dash lights came on. I had only used it 2 or 3 times at most. It took an entire bottle to fill it. I just figured it hadn't been filled fully at the factory.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
I had to fill up the loaner's washer fluid as the dash lights came on. I had only used it 2 or 3 times at most. It took an entire bottle to fill it. I just figured it hadn't been filled fully at the factory.
Thought the same thing at first, but the dealer told me it is full. Then about a month after doing what you did, the light just came back on again after using it another 2-3 times over a 1 month period.

oh didn't see you wrote loaner..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
MikeBimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

I had same issue. New car, after 2 weeks get 'low washer fluid' caution. Filled up with an entire bottle of fluid and still didn't have the reservoir filled entirely. Driving cross country, thus far everything is operating normally - I didn't check the car when I bought it for full washer fluid - any chance they are all just under-filled at the factory?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
The tank's appearance is deceiving. It's not very high, but is quite long. My car was delivered with the tank almost empty and it took 4-1/2 qts. to fully fill it (full capacity is 5.3 quarts). That was 6 months ago and I've probably used the washers only 8 or 10 times, but the tank is still 3/4 full.

If you really douse the windshield and rear window with 3 oz. each, you should be able to clean them both at least 28 times starting with a full tank.

I usually clean the windshield and rear window with a hand held spray bottle and paper towels. Also, a proper application of Rain-X (and then use of Rain-X orange washer fluid) really helps keep the windows clear and reduces the use of the washer.

One thing to keep an eye on is to be absolutely sure that the filler cap is securely snapped in place. The way the X3 washer tank and filler tube is installed, under moderate to hard braking, the washer fluid flows forward up and against the filler cap, If it's not tight, fluid will be lost every time you brake hard.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
509trooper
Staff Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

http://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-Windshi...0436161&sr=8-3

Lotus, Is this the wash fluid you are using?
      07-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep

[QUOTE=Lotus7;10003149]The tank's appearance is deceiving. It's not very high, but is quite long. My car was delivered with the tank almost empty and it took 4-1/2 qts. to fully fill it (full capacity is 5.3 quarts). That was 6 months ago and I've probably used the washers only 8 or 10 times, but the tank is still 3/4 full.

If you really douse the windshield and rear window with 3 oz. each, you should be able to clean them both at least 28 times starting with a full tank.

I usually clean the windshield and rear window with a hand held spray bottle and paper towels. Also, a proper application of Rain-X (and then use of Rain-X orange washer fluid) really helps keep the windows clear and reduces the use of the washer.

One thing to keep an eye on is to be absolutely sure that the filler cap is securely snapped in place. The way the X3 washer tank and filler tube is installed, under moderate to hard braking, the washer fluid flows forward up and against the filler cap, If it's not tight, fluid will be lost every time you brake hard.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to have to check that, to see if that's the problem...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #10
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlbrad View Post
Thought the same thing at first, but the dealer told me it is full. Then about a month after doing what you did, the light just came back on again after using it another 2-3 times over a 1 month period.

oh didn't see you wrote loaner..
The loaner I had was my original 35i that I ordered that came in with missing options. They had me keep it while they re-ordered me another one.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 11:46 PM   #11
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509trooper View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-Windshi...0436161&sr=8-3

Lotus, Is this the wash fluid you are using?
Yes, that's the same stuff although the label shown at Amazon is old. The current version has a different label. By itself, it's a good washer fluid, but if you take the time to apply (2) coats of liquid Rain-X as per the products instructions, this fluid will "refresh" the Rain-X's ability to let rain flow smoothly off the windshield while you're driving. The more commonly found, cheap "blue" windshield washer anti-freeze will remove the Rain-X windshield treatment quickly, while their own (orange) fluid does not.

I also use this stuff, sprayed on the wheels and applied to a soft paper towel, to remove the greasy black BMW brake dust from the wheels between full washes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0