BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
jpgreen3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

X3 options - a couple questions

I'm about to purchase my first BMW, and I've got a couple questions for everyone. I've basically decided on the options I want, but I've got a few final decisions to make. Would love some guidance!

1) the standard radio/sound system or the premium hi-fi system? How much better is the premium system, and do you think its worth the extra $875?

2) roof rails-- I'm probably going to get a black exterior, and I'm not sure the satin aluminum rails will look good. Should I go with the high-gloss rails instead? (and am I right that the high-gloss rails are black?)

3) Mojave or Chestnut interior? I'm down to these to colors. I'm worried that the Chestnut might be too bold, and I'll regret the choice after a few months. But I worry the Mojave isn't bold enough. thoughts? (and does the Mojave go well with both the wood trims-- Sienna and Wave?)

Thanks all!
--J
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

The standard sounds system is not too bad, but if you like your music loud, go for the optional sound system, its well worth $875.
Some thinks that the alumimum roof rail has too much of a contrast with black and I agree with that. The high gloss rails are black.
Mojave is a very nice looking color, I like chestnut as well, but under certain lighting, sometimes it a bit too orange for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
fjrmann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 X35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgreen3 View Post
Would love some guidance!

1) the standard radio/sound system or the premium hi-fi system? How much better is the premium system, and do you think its worth the extra $875?
if you listen music and all you ever adjust is base and treble, the premium sound system is a waste of money. however, if you hear music and enjoy tonal properties and customizing them go for the upgraded system. i have heard the standard stereo in a 3 series, a 5 series and the X5. the premimum sound system in my 2011 X3 blows them away.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
bostonx6
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M60i

I have the premium system in my 2012, and I am underwhelmed. The standard system in my stepmother's 2013 ES300h is much better. I found the standard sound in my 2011 E92 much better. I am in the minority on the premium sound. Having said that I would still get it, as I cannot imagine the standard sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

Also think about the "M" sport pkg...
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm about to purchase my first BMW, and I've got a couple questions for everyone. I've basically decided on the options I want, but I've got a few final decisions to make. Would love some guidance!

2) roof rails-- I'm probably going to get a black exterior, and I'm not sure the satin aluminum rails will look good. Should I go with the high-gloss rails instead? (and am I right that the high-gloss rails are black?)

3) Mojave or Chestnut interior? I'm down to these to colors. I'm worried that the Chestnut might be too bold, and I'll regret the choice after a few months. But I worry the Mojave isn't bold enough. thoughts? (and does the Mojave go well with both the wood trims-- Sienna and Wave?)

Thanks all!
--J
1. Premium sound has deeper bass and more clarity. It also has an equalizer that allows for more tonal flexibility. If you like to listen to music, get it. If you're just using for news and talk radio, don't.

2. With a black exterior definitely get the black roof rails. If you buy the aluminum ones they'll stand out too much. Do you want the contrast of the beautiful wheels or the roof rails? IMHO, roof rails should not have attention drawn to them.

With the M-Sport package the trim around the windows is black which is even more of a reason to order black roof rails.

3. I love the Mojave intererior. Reminds me of an old briefcase I own. Would've gotten if my wife didn't like the sand beige more. The chestnut is bolder, but having all the black everywhere else it would be a nice contrast.
Sienna or wavy would look good IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

The premium sound system is well worth it. If it comes down to cost vs. price your actual cost of the upgrade will probably be less than the $875. If you buy the car for less than MSRP the actual cost is reduced; but more importantly the premium sound will add value to the resell price of the car when you sell it whereas the standard sound will not. Why take a chance on not enjoying it for so little money.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

$875 is still not cheap - and if you keep the car you wont get it back - if you do sell it on you will lose in depreciation so it is a chance that has to be taken?
The basic setup works well and is as good as many other cars, Im sure the upgrade system is better but driving around in a car with the associated background noise I wonder if it is worth it.
it is always a hard one to call I think.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
wrp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 x28i

If you use music to listen to your sound system then you need the premium sound. But if you listen to music, then the standard system if OK. (My wife is a classical vocal musician and she can discern qualities on any system)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
$875 is still not cheap - and if you keep the car you wont get it back - if you do sell it on you will lose in depreciation so it is a chance that has to be taken?
The basic setup works well and is as good as many other cars, Im sure the upgrade system is better but driving around in a car with the associated background noise I wonder if it is worth it.
it is always a hard one to call I think.
In a $50,000 USD car, $875 is cheap, less than 2% of the price, especially when you compare the price to upgrading aftermarket.

Most people in the US only hold their cars for a few years and then resell. Of course it would be a given if one held the car to its "death" no value would be derived, just as if one held a stock of a company going out of business. The price paid for the premium sound would depreciate along with the car, but in the end your real cost of the option would be the depreciated price minus the end value. Therefore mitigating the initial cost.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
In a $50,000 USD car, $875 is cheap, less than 2% of the price, especially when you compare the price to upgrading aftermarket.
..... The price paid for the premium sound would depreciate along with the car, but in the end your real cost of the option would be the depreciated price minus the end value. Therefore mitigating the initial cost.
All very true - except over here we start off paying a 55% premium on your prices and so sometimes you have to decide what you must have and what you like to have and premium speakers are such an item.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
pmacd55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [0.00]
2011 328 xi  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks all!
--J
This is all my opinion but...

I have the premium hifi and love it. I like it loud and there is very little distortion plus you get a free year of satellite radio.

I have the silver rails but I have Space Gray and it goes great. I think the black would go well with the darker colors like Carbon.. also looks good on AW with the black kidneys.

Can't help with Mojave vs. Chestnut.... I have Oyster.

Good luck !
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
dbpe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

My two cents:

1) The premium isn't the best, but it's much better than the standard. It it had a better (real) subwoofer I'd love it.

2) If you are going with any of the blacks, get the black rails - mine's Black Sapphire Metallic and looks nice with the black. I also went with the black grills - my wife's all white so mine's all black ("are you taking the good car or the evil car today, dear?") I'll get around to taking better pictures as soon as it's warm.

3) IMHO, the chestnut looks rich and is not overpowering at all, and goes well with the black. Ok, I guess that's a biased opinion. The coral in the white one is much brighter and redder.
Attached Images

04-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #14
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
If I could re-order my X-3, I would order it with the premium sound. That is the only thing that I regret.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #15
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Just picked up Carbon Black with Chestnut and Wave Wood. love the combo
http://s667.photobucket.com/user/scottjays/slideshow/

Quote:

Thanks all!
--J
      05-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #16
pmacd55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [0.00]
2011 328 xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjays View Post
Just picked up Carbon Black with Chestnut and Wave Wood. love the combo
http://s667.photobucket.com/user/scottjays/slideshow/
Nice combo, I like the Carbon Black too... I would have getten it if I lived in a more hosptiable climate... or owned a car wash !
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #17
Gamoto
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 Convertible 2018 750ix

My x3 35i is loaded.I like the contrast of the satin rails besides it matches the trim around the windows. As for the top line stereo it does not sound as good as the others we have had....2008 X5, 2008 335, 2008 M3, and 2011 335
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #18
turbotoy4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 Porsche Macan ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
I would definitly go with the Chestnut. It has a beautiful color and will look great with your black exterior. This is very subjective as is the case with all color/trim selections.

As for satin or black rails I would go with satin and order satin trim around the windows if you get the M-Sport. I like that contrast.

I did not order the premium hi-fi and wish I would have, that being said the standard sound system in the X3 is very good.

Good luck and make sure you post PICs after you take delivery!
Appreciate 0