BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Stockwell
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan GTS, Golf GTI

Best Practice - Profile with 2 Driver...

Hi All,

Just pick up our 2013 X3 35i with "Comfort Access" last week. We share the car regularly and we both marked our own key with unique color. I am looking for the best practice how to ensure the X3 load the correct profile (seat setting, radio...etc) We usually do not lock our car when parked in the garage.

Assume the car was not locked.... if I am the last driver and turn off the car. When my wife enter the car with her key, will the X3 call up her profile ? if not, how can she call up her profile... without touch the idrive and through those screens ?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

You need to lock the car for the key to then pass the profile change over when the car is open. So no you cannot do it without using the profile screen option if you do not lock the car.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
Anfänger
perennial neophyte
United_States
Rep
Drives: SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockwell View Post
Assume the car was not locked.... if I am the last driver and turn off the car. When my wife enter the car with her key, will the X3 call up her profile ?
If the ignition is off, I think all she has to do to switch profiles is press "unlock" on her key fob. Take a look at this very useful thread: Understanding Profiles in 2012 X3

Note that for the profile change to take effect when she presses "unlock", the ignition must be off; but the car does NOT have to be locked.

Last edited by Anfänger; 08-22-2012 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: added the final sentence, for clarity
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #4
Stockwell
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan GTS, Golf GTI

Hi All,, Thank You for all your Tips :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
You need to lock the car for the key to then pass the profile change over when the car is open. So no you cannot do it without using the profile screen option if you do not lock the car.
You don't need to lock the car to switch the profile using a key. Just switch the ignition off (if it's on) and then press unlock on the key cotaining the profile you want to switch to

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

So that's why your a Brigadier and I'm a lowly Private....lol

Thanks for that... much easier.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
So that's why your a Brigadier and I'm a lowly Private....lol

Thanks for that... much easier.
I only discovered this one by accident after a month or two of getting out and locking and unlocking the car when we wanted to switch drivers or if the non-driver had unlocked the car (we need to be on the right profile as we have electric seats and mrs sfax, well she isn't 6'3"! )

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0