BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-15-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

Post Kidney Grille Fitment - LCI Vs Pre LCI

I have a 2012 pre lci

I went on a mission to see if I could somehow fit the later kidney grille's onto the older cars. Here are my findings:

left side = pre lci
right side = for lci models, which I believe is 2014-2017

the LCI grille has a "bulge" that goes towards the headlights, making for an impossible flush fit

up close of the gap

interesting find.... if I remove the surround piece, it fits .... I guess there is hope?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 06:20 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Do the surrounds from the pre-lci fit on the lci slats? If not, I don't see how you can make them work.

Why not just get ones indented for pre-lci?

Name:  dual slat grille.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  113.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 02:16 PM   #3
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I tried to slap on the surrounds, sadly they dont line up

Amazon doesnt seem to stock the above. I really hate using ali express, after a bad experience where an expensive item showed up with damage and they did nothing to help me (the seller nor ali express cared)

And ebay seems to stock those as well, but , by principal .... I try not to use ebay (they like to screw sellers / cause sellers to lose money)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 05:15 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan View Post
Amazon doesnt seem to stock the above. I really hate using ali express, after a bad experience where an expensive item showed up with damage and they did nothing to help me (the seller nor ali express cared)

And ebay seems to stock those as well, but , by principal .... I try not to use ebay (they like to screw sellers / cause sellers to lose money)
I hear ya about ali*** anything, I've not had good experience with them. But I've done well with ebay If the item is not as described, or you don't received it, filing a dispute on ebay should get you money back, but if you've been burned, I can understand. I've had a few issues with ebay items, but the dispute system has always got my money back.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 08:47 AM   #5
dtox9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
I hear ya about ali*** anything, I've not had good experience with them. But I've done well with ebay If the item is not as described, or you don't received it, filing a dispute on ebay should get you money back, but if you've been burned, I can understand. I've had a few issues with ebay items, but the dispute system has always got my money back.
ebay definitely a buyers market
i've got friends with horror stories about buyers making false disputes and nothing the seller can do about it.. other than lose the income and pay the fees.
shipping damage resulting in total loss for the seller without any recourse or resolution as the customer does not have to return the item to the seller, etc etc

selective shopping / selling there for sure
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 09:39 AM   #6
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

dtox9 hit the nail on the head

one buyer accused me of sending product (a collectible item) with a damaged box. not only did I have to refund the buyer, return shipping was my responsibility as well. I opted not to, because I already knew the buyer would send me back something that was not mine and worth virtually nothing. to add insult to injury, buyer used some international shipping service option that ebay provides, which makes for a super fun scenario if the seller has to do a refund (IE, I would have to ship back internationally and eat the fees. hard pass)

I have a friend who's really into those "funko pops". He GoPro films himself packaging up every item he sells from start to finish ... even then, disputes go the buyers way ... no matter how solid your proof is of item cond pre shipment, and providing a video to show you properly packaged, and even double boxed the item.

TL;DR = ebay is really bad news. and bonus ... they charge TAX nowadays
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 01:25 AM   #7
ebinmoothedam
EbMoo
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

Unable to remove the grill

Today I wanted to remove the grille and paint them black, however I was unable to reach the bottom plastic to remove it.

2011 BMW X3 F25

I could not figure out how to remove the black plastic part between the engine and bonnet.

Can someone please guide me how to remove the grill ?

Thank you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 01:42 PM   #8
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & LCI X3 35i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebinmoothedam View Post
Today I wanted to remove the grille and paint them black, however I was unable to reach the bottom plastic to remove it.

2011 BMW X3 F25

I could not figure out how to remove the black plastic part between the engine and bonnet.

Can someone please guide me how to remove the grill ?

Thank you.
So after attempting this myself (after doing way too much research) on my LCI (2016) here's what I learned:

If you can do a few of the tabs on the top or anywhere try to get those unhooked then literally just grab it with two hands and pull towards yourself.
I'm honestly not sure it's possible to actually get all of the tabs unclipped without taking the bumper off.

tl;dr Literally just yank it off. (pause?)
Appreciate 0