BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-17-2013, 06:27 AM   #1
iantm
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Bluetooth on 05 X3...

A few weeks ago, I bought myself a 2005 X3 3.0i, and am having issues getting the bluetooth working. I know that my car has bluetooth - the car has Code 0ZPP Premium package which includes BMW Assist (according to the brochure for the 2005 X3) - the buttons for assist are present by the sunroof switch, the module in the left rear corner of the car has a bluetooth passkey. According to the car's records - the Telematics Control Module was replaced in 2007. This is reflected by the module in the car having the brand Continental on the module instead of Motorola. (that changeover happened sometime in 2006 IIRC)

The problem I am encountering is that when I follow the instructions - the car never shows up as a discoverable bluetooth device. When I press the voice face or the R/T button on the steering wheel - nothing happens, there are no prompts on the radio. (I've paired phones with later model X3's, but not an 05...) Does my car need to have the cradle in the center console with the pairing button in order for the car to become discoverable? I've tried it with my iPhone 4s, work issued Blackberry Bold, and an old Motorola RAZR that I keep in a desk drawer - and none of these devices can see the car as a discoverable bluetooth device. (tried the Cingular/AT&T RAZR V3, as I know it was an approved phone and it's roughly the same vintage as the car)

Any guidance would be appreciated. I've tried the reset by unplugging the module and plugging it back in. I've verified that none of the fuses are blown (based on what the fuse block guide says for radio, telephone, etc.). I'm a bit lost here. (wish I still had access to GT1, ISTA) I'm not heart broken over it - i.e. not having functional bluetooth isn't devastating to me, but it would be nice to have. (I traded in my old Ford Focus in on this after 10 years)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
joylove
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 LCI

Assist module needs no button press sequence. It is in pairing mode for the first 60s of power on. You may need the driver's seatbelt clip to be in place.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
JobieWan26
Registered
Rep
Drives: 05 X3 3.0i

I'm curious as to whether or not you ever got this resolved? I am also having the same issue with my 05. The phone just never sees it. Any information would be great!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
joylove
Private
Rep

Again, for those of your with early X3s, the early TCUs DO NOT support bluetooth, irrespective of the sticker on the TCU.

Google the part number to see where your one falls. There is a list somewhere, possibly in E46 land, of the various revisions and the BT support.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
JobieWan26
Registered
Rep
Drives: 05 X3 3.0i

Odd because I have an original document along with the owners manual that says Bluetooth PK.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
joylove
Private
Rep

The only steps available to you are explained in post #4.

Also check that you are performing the pairing process correctly, completing the search during the first 60s of power on the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
sks0625
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 x3

Garage List
2007 BMW x3  [0.00]
2007 BMW x3  [0.00]
2007 BMW x3  [0.00]
07 x3 301i

I have a 2007, where do I even begin to pair my iPhone 5? Help!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
joylove
Private
Rep

Make sure you have Bluetooth. Press either R/T or the sneezing man on the steering wheel. Expect NO PHONE or PHONE or PHINEBOOK or similar. Next shut off the car and remove the keys. Mext go into the trunk, temove the left panel using the black switch and locate the PK code on the silver TCU. Next take the iPhone Settings->Bluetooth. Next turn on the ignition. Wait for BMW and some numbers. Pair using the PK code.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #9
Hdsalinas
Registered
Rep
Drives: Considering x3 or x5

I am considering purchasing an 05, it does have the R/T and the "sneezing man" buttons on the steering wheel. The owner says that he has never used BT but do the presence of these two guarantee the BT function or not?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
joylove
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdsalinas View Post
I am considering purchasing an 05, it does have the R/T and the "sneezing man" buttons on the steering wheel. The owner says that he has never used BT but do the presence of these two guarantee the BT function or not?
Absolutely not. However if you press either and the radio display says NO PHONE, PHONEBOOK, BT PAIRING or any other phone-related message then there is a module there. If nothing happens there is no module.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
karateman
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Hi all newbie here...
I have a just purchased a BMW X3 2.0d M sport 56 reg which apparently also has bluetooth. I have no idea how to pair up with my 4GS iphone. It is a PARROT CK3000 I think and have just downloaded the manual. For some reason the control unit is sited just under the glove box?????? If I switch on the engine and search for it on my Iphone it finds PARROT v5.08C but says not paired make sure device is in range etc.
There is the sneezing man switch on the wheel but dont know what for.....anyone know how to pair them and why the control unit would be tucked away stuck on the side of the passenger well under the glove box so you cant actually use it without climbing into the well and fiddling with it.
Previous owner never used it.

Phil
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
karateman
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I forgot to say i believe it to be the PARROT CK3000 EVOLUTION model and the radio is a Business version. I dont even know if the radio acts as the phone and displays instructions or not. I've also read somewhere about an iDrive that helps use the bluetooth...what ever that is

Phil

Last edited by karateman; 08-12-2013 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #13
96HellrotM3
Rep
Drives: 1996 BMW M3

I have an 06 x3 it has the module. About 3 years ago I started to pair my phone but couldn't find the Passcode that worked so have up. I now know where the real code is (on the module not the book) but now pressing the sneezing nothing happens. Even bmw of Richmond couldn't get it to go.

Any suggestions?

I am thinking about trying to pull the module out to reset it then put it back in if it's easy enough to do.

I have been forced to deliver pizzas for a job and having Bluetooth would be a huge help.

If it's a dead module I don't think it would be worth it to buy an replacement online. I can just buy a headset for about $80 and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 11:29 AM   #14
PhotoSpherix
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 x3

Old post, but a little more information. I was having troubles with the bluetooth module in the x3. It would just freeze up. It would not even show up from the steering wheel when this happened. You press the buttons, no voice, not interaction with the radio. It was like it wasn't there.

I knew that I had bluetooth so off to google. I find the suggestion to unplug the module. So in the back of the car I go. I unplug it for 10 seconds and back in and it works every time. Now remember I say every time. So this has happened more than once, but I have not found the pattern yet. Now in the last 3 days I have.

With an Android and the older bluetooth module. The module freezes when you transfer the call from the car to the phone with the bluetooth button on the phone. The bluetooth in the car never shuts down. It just hangs.

Here is my question. How do you transfer the call in the car to the handset when you want to leave the car.
Appreciate 0