BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
WBAVC9
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 xi

New to X3

Hi All,

I traded in my E90 328xi last weekend for a 2008 X3 3.0si M sport 6 spd. I was a bit surprised when I realized how much more sophisticated the electronics for the 328 were. Not sure I like the idea of having to take the X to the dealer to change preferences. Is there any software available that would make it possible to do it myself? Also, does anyone make an aftermarket exhaust system? I love the way it rides and handles but like to modify things and there does not seem to be much in the way of aftermarket support. So far the only change I have made is adding a Sirius receiver into the glove box on top of the dash.

I hope to find more things to do and if I do I will post here.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Not sure why you think the 328 has any more sophisticated electronics, verses your X3, but it doesn't!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
WBAVC9
Rep

Let me rephrase. The electronics on the 328 were more user friendly as in I didn't have to take it to the dealer to set preferences. As far as I can tell I can't scroll through the various service items like front brakes, rear brakes, oil, cabin filter to get an idea of remaining life either. Otherwise it seems comparable.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
marakbai
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Garage List
Sirius

Any pics on the Sirius install? I'm thinking of doing this too when I pick up my new 2010 X3 (Saturday!!!!).

I've been doing research on the BMW module and it seems uber expensive so looking to do like you.

Any pics and advice will be greatly appreciated.
SG 2010 BMW X3 30i xDrive
Automatic; Executive
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
Bora20
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si M-Sport

Yes, I went from an E90 to the E83. I knew that the X3 electronics were based on the e46 3-series so this wasn't a shock to me.

The only thing that we miss is the dual climate control and the REST button. On the plus side, the e46 electronics were/are less complicated so there should be less problems down the road.

My X3 was prewired for Sirius so I simply bought a BMW Sirius receiver, changed the wiring plugs on the head unit, and bought a subscription. No need for aftermarket Sirius.

There is not much of an aftermarket for the X3, but the big name tuners will make exhausts and springs for it. Nothing too dramatic though, and the push will be for the F25 for the future.
      12-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
WBAVC9
Rep

Here is a pic of the portable install. The unit is attached to the back with a wedge of dense foam and weatherstrip adhesive. The audio out is tapped into the aux input in the center console. Rather than building a voltage reducer to go from 12v to 5v I just tapped into the cigarette lighter circuit and installed an auxiliary socket and covered it in the center console. Not the greatest install but it hasn't given me any trouble yet and I can close the door over the compartment and never see the unit. I have the antenna sitting on the dash in front of the cover up against the windshield and reception is fine. Sirius for about $20 plus the monthly charge.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
marakbai
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bora20 View Post
Yes, I went from an E90 to the E83. I knew that the X3 electronics were based on the e46 3-series so this wasn't a shock to me.

The only thing that we miss is the dual climate control and the REST button. On the plus side, the e46 electronics were/are less complicated so there should be less problems down the road.

My X3 was prewired for Sirius so I simply bought a BMW Sirius receiver, changed the wiring plugs on the head unit, and bought a subscription. No need for aftermarket Sirius.

There is not much of an aftermarket for the X3, but the big name tuners will make exhausts and springs for it. Nothing too dramatic though, and the push will be for the F25 for the future.
My X3 is prewired too, how much did the tuner run you? The stealership is saying anywhere from $800-$1000 to do this job, I think they just don't want to do it.

I'd likely buy the tuner and have a shop do the install.
SG 2010 BMW X3 30i xDrive
Automatic; Executive
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
Bora20
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by marakbai View Post
My X3 is prewired too, how much did the tuner run you? The stealership is saying anywhere from $800-$1000 to do this job, I think they just don't want to do it.

I'd likely buy the tuner and have a shop do the install.
About $400, but i think the new one is more as it is a sirius/xm tuner.

install takes 30 minutes in your garage with hand tools. No coding required.