BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #1
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 30d SE

LCI auto start/stop

I have now had my new car for a week and whilst I am quite thrilled with its smoothness, less outside noise, and some of the new features it has, I am very disappointed that the auto start/stop function has changed from my previous 2013 model year car. There now appears to be no way to prevent the engine from switching off when coming to a stop at traffic lights, unless the auto stop function has already been deactivated earlier. Clearly, if you are going to be stationary for only a few seconds, you don’t want the engine shutting down.

Previously it was quite easy to keep the engine running, (most of the time) if the pressure on the brake pedal was released slightly after coming to a stop; now one has no choice, and the engine switches off as soon as the car has stopped. So, just wanted to know if that is the norm these days, or if perhaps my setting is over sensitive and can be corrected, as it cuts out immediately the car comes to a halt.

Another disappointment is the mandatory daytime running lights, where it is no longer possible to switch them off.
      04-20-2015, 11:56 PM   #2
Jypsie
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i Carbon Black

put it in sport or sport +
You can also do some coding....
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 02:25 AM   #3
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich4
I have now had my new car for a week and whilst I am quite thrilled with its smoothness, less outside noise, and some of the new features it has, I am very disappointed that the auto start/stop function has changed from my previous 2013 model year car. There now appears to be no way to prevent the engine from switching off when coming to a stop at traffic lights, unless the auto stop function has already been deactivated earlier. Clearly, if you are going to be stationary for only a few seconds, you dont want the engine shutting down.

Previously it was quite easy to keep the engine running, (most of the time) if the pressure on the brake pedal was released slightly after coming to a stop; now one has no choice, and the engine switches off as soon as the car has stopped. So, just wanted to know if that is the norm these days, or if perhaps my setting is over sensitive and can be corrected, as it cuts out immediately the car comes to a halt.

Another disappointment is the mandatory daytime running lights, where it is no longer possible to switch them off.
Underneath the starter button there is a switch to disable stop/start.

DRL's are a legal requirement in EU that's why you can't disable unlike older cars

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 02:55 AM   #4
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I find the start/stop is much improved over my 2011 X3. My LCI engages start/stop less often whereas my 2011 did it infuriatingly often. I find my LCI moves away smoothly when I press the accelerator, with my 2011 I had to tweek the steering wheel instead of pressing the accelerator to start the engine - if I didn't us the the steering wheel (or Sport) the car lurched forward uncomfortably.

Er yes....DRLs are required.
      04-21-2015, 03:48 AM   #5
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Odd, I haven't noticed a difference - I know the little tricks you're referring to with braking (classic use case being a long run up to a red traffic light when you know it's about to change and you don't want start/stop to kick in for the 1 or 2 seconds that you're stationary). My personal technique has been to apply the brake gently and I'm sure this still works on my LCI (2.0d SE with auto box).

Unrelated but the other thing I love on the LCI is that if you slow gently then the parking sensors automatically switch on - no need to wait to go into reverse or press the button.
      04-21-2015, 04:15 AM   #6
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
I find the start/stop is much improved over my 2011 X3. My LCI engages start/stop less often whereas my 2011 did it infuriatingly often. I find my LCI moves away smoothly when I press the accelerator, with my 2011 I had to tweek the steering wheel instead of pressing the accelerator to start the engine - if I didn't us the the steering wheel (or Sport) the car lurched forward uncomfortably.

Er yes....DRLs are required.
clivem2 — Are you really saying that it is possible for the engine not to cut out when you come to a stop? Using the pre-LCI technique of releasing pressure on the brake pedal immediately the car stopped just doesn’t work at all now, even with a very slow stopping action. If you are saying you can actually prevent start/stop from engaging, than maybe it can be sorted by my dealer adjusting the sensitivity of the brake pedal pressure. I would appreciate your confirmation that you are able to keep engine running.
I completely agree that the engine restart is so much quicker and smoother than before, but I would prefer to have control of it as I had in the 2013 model.

Last edited by Rich4; 04-21-2015 at 05:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 04:22 AM   #7
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich4 View Post
clivem2 — Are you really saying that it is possible for the engine not to cut out when you come to a stop? Using the pre-LCI technique of releasing pressure on the brake pedal immediately the car stopped just doesn’t work at all now, evening with a very slow stopping action. If you are saying you can actually prevent start/stop from engaging, than maybe it can be sorted by my dealer adjusting the sensitivity of the brake pedal pressure. I would appreciate your confirmation that you are able to keep engine running.
I completely agree that the engine restart is so much quicker and smoother than before, but I would prefer to have control of it as I had in the 2013 model.
With my 2011 model I couldn't prevent the start/stop working via the brake pedal so I'd hit the disable button instead. With the LCI it's not that I'm controlling when it operates, what I'm finding is that the software decides less often to stop the engine, presumably due to the condition of the battery. This could be a characteristic of the 35d in that maybe a drains the battery faster than your 30d - but I doubt it.
      04-21-2015, 04:26 AM   #8
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit View Post
Odd, I haven't noticed a difference - I know the little tricks you're referring to with braking (classic use case being a long run up to a red traffic light when you know it's about to change and you don't want start/stop to kick in for the 1 or 2 seconds that you're stationary). My personal technique has been to apply the brake gently and I'm sure this still works on my LCI (2.0d SE with auto box).

Unrelated but the other thing I love on the LCI is that if you slow gently then the parking sensors automatically switch on - no need to wait to go into reverse or press the button.
I would really appreciate if you could check and confirm that you can actually keep the engine running as before. I know it's a technique thing, but with mine there is just no way to do it as engine cuts out before I can even release break pressure!

Yes, the cameras are far better now, and so are other features - I just love it, except for a couple of issues, including my start/stop
      04-21-2015, 04:37 AM   #9
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
With my 2011 model I couldn't prevent the start/stop working via the brake pedal so I'd hit the disable button instead. .
Thanks for your response. That is strange, and maybe suggests that it could be an adjustment thing that they can rectify/alter, or on the other hand, that it just does not work on the larger 3.0 and 3.5 engines? I have to say when I mentioned it to the salesman on collecting the car, he was surprised and said they could look it when it goes back for another issue. However, the sales guys are not very technically minded and I wanted to prepare, before I went back.

Perhaps other LCI owners would care to comment?
      04-21-2015, 05:00 AM   #10
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I believe also X3s get different battery sizes depending on options installed. Maybe they've de-rated the battery for the LCI. This or some other LCI changes could well be behind the less frequent start/stop I experience. The software management of these cars is a minefield.
      04-21-2015, 12:58 PM   #11
xdriv3
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

I have LCI. I tried some braking tricks to prevent ASS from kicking in.. no dice.

My trick is to turn the wheel at least half a turn either side to keep ASS from activating.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 01:12 PM   #12
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdriv3 View Post
I have LCI. I tried some braking tricks to prevent ASS from kicking in.. no dice.

My trick is to turn the wheel at least half a turn either side to keep ASS from activating.
Thanks, will try that though it needs precise timing as my engine switches off as it stops - not even one second later. It might worry drivers either side or the cop behind me!
      04-22-2015, 02:06 AM   #13
WorksopOWLS
Rep
Drives: BMw X1 / X3 on order

Is there not an auto stop start button next to the main On / Off Switch. There is on my manual version
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 04:58 AM   #14
PerryGunn
Idiot-in-chief
Rep
Drives: around: in: circles:

Garage List
IMO, Auto Stop/Start is one of the worst 'features' ever to be added to a car, it's been developed solely to eek out a few extra percentage points in the CO2 emissions tables without worrying too much about the extra strain it places on other components in the longer term.

The manufacturers claim that they've beefed up the batteries and starter motor to cope with this additional load but it appears that they've only beefed them up enough to avoid lots of in-warranty failures. Sticking with BMW, the initial models of auto stop/start cars are now around 7 years old and, if you do a bit of googling, you'll find plenty of examples of what would normally be considered premature battery and starter motor failure

I've coded our F25 so that auto start/stop is normally disabled and we have to actively switch it on if we wish to use it.
      04-22-2015, 06:49 AM   #15
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

I sometimes press the deactivate button as soon as I start the engine. If that feature is no longer available, I would flip the gear stick to sport mode when you stop and this prevents the engine from turning off. I have been doing this recently and it is quite useful as there are occasions when I let the engine switch off if the traffic looks to be stationary for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 07:19 AM   #16
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I quite like start/stop. Even with the 6 pot diesels there's a slight vibration when the car is idling. It's so much more serene with the engine off. It's easy to defeat if you don't like it.
      04-22-2015, 07:57 AM   #17
robwoods
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 220d Gran Tourer Auto

I agree with clivem2, I like auto-start-stop, don't understand the obsession with disabling it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 12:32 PM   #18
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I would really appreciate if you could check and confirm that you can actually keep the engine running as before. I know it's a technique thing, but with mine there is just no way to do it as engine cuts out before I can even release break pressure!

Yes, the cameras are far better now, and so are other features - I just love it, except for a couple of issues, including my start/stop
Turns out I'm wrong - last night I braked very lightly several times but every time I came to a stop the engine turned off. I've always been happy with start/stop so never really tried to fight it and therefore haven't notice the changed behaviour on the LCI.
      04-24-2015, 12:46 PM   #19
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
just press the button to left, it deactivates the feature

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #20
Renaud
Private
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 20i; 2002 E36/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 01:23 PM   #21
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for your response. That is strange, and maybe suggests that it could be an adjustment thing that they can rectify/alter, or on the other hand, that it just does not work on the larger 3.0 and 3.5 engines? I have to say when I mentioned it to the salesman on collecting the car, he was surprised and said they could look it when it goes back for another issue. However, the sales guys are not very technically minded and I wanted to prepare, before I went back.

Perhaps other LCI owners would care to comment?
My ASS is activated no matter how lightly I press on the breaks to come to a stop. My LCI kicks it in when the car stops regardless of pressure on the break pedal. (35i).

I don't mind it, but sometimes when it's stop and go frequently, it gets annoying. However, the logic for it seems to be pretty good. It seems to know not to activate if I only move up a little bit.

Like others have suggested, the only guaranteed way seems to be moving to the Sport mode to disable it while the car is running.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 01:37 PM   #22
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
OP knows that Think he's happy to have start/stop on but just wants the ability to over-ride when he knows it's a very short pause. On the original F25 this was possible with gentle braking but now it seems start/stop always kicks in (once the engine is warmed up etc)

There are plenty of ways to re-start - twitch the steering wheel, tap the accelerator, move the gear shift to sport etc but I think he's trying to avoid the stop in the first place but not all the time.

Correct Rich4 ?