BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-23-2023, 09:08 AM   #1
whitenblue
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive35i

Chirping noise (like crickets) coming from passenger footwell area

Hi,
I have a 2017 X3 F25 and I’ve been getting a strange chirping sound that almost sounds like crickets coming from the passenger footwell area. I notice it only when the fan is on and strangely when I’m maneuvering the car slightly. By that I mean, it will almost always do it if I make a constant, gentle left-hand turn, but sometimes it does it if I am slowing or doing other maneuvers. The obvious thing points to the fan itself. Searching the web. I see that people talk about debri in the fan housing that hits the impeller. So I removed the fan, fully expecting to see some pine needles or leaves, but there was nothing. Perfectly clean. I even plugged the fan in while I had it removed and turned it on to see the impeller spin. I shook the fan while it was running, rotated it in every direction and generally whipped it around and could not duplicate the noise. I mounted the fan back in the housing drove around the neighborhood and sure enough the noise was back. If I turn the fan off, no noise. So strange. I’m going to try to attach a sound clip so you can hear the noise for yourself. Any ideas?https://drive.google.com/file/d/15AQ...w?usp=drivesdk
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 02:40 PM   #2
Fredo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I bet it's the blower fan. FWIW, my 2005 330i had that noise and replacing the fan solved the issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 10:24 AM   #3
toomanybims
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3, X3

The blower fan bearing is going out.

Your blower fan will stop working sometime in the next... say.... 6 months? Ish?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 07:18 AM   #4
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Hah, agreed, I saw the title and thought the same thing, blower fan, before seeing the above responses.
Appreciate 0